Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Powder Coating Aluminum Panels

Post Thanks / Like

Powder Coating Aluminum Panels

I'm taking my aluminum panels to a local powder coater tomorrow. I know prices may vary a little, but for those who have done this on your projects, what did you end up paying?

Thanks,

Travis

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Prices vary from shop to shop and a lot based on geographical location and scarcity of vendors.
    The cost in my hometown was about $1,500.00, with only one reputable vendor nearby, the additional cost made me opt out and paint them.

https://youtu.be/_wnHDNgnNqs

On a related note, make sure that you've fitted and drilled all of your panels prior to bringing them in for coating.
    Also, Cleco Fasteners are your biggest friend when properly fitting your panels prior to riveting.

NOTE: If I would have had the extra funds in the budget I would have had the panels Powder Coated.

Good Luck!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 05-29-2017 at 05:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    stick with one color, bring as many panels as you can and have them drilled and cleaned before hand as Go Dad Go suggests.

The cost of powder is nothing. It's all labor, and how many panels they can fit in their oven at one time. Small oven means whoever is doing it must "batch" process your job. And that takes time and resources costing you dollar.

If I add up the many trips I made to the coater with my panels I would say it's in the neighborhood of 700 bucks. If the coater tells you he needs to bead the panels before coating, run for the hills. It takes a lot of time (your money) to do that. Just clean the panels up with rubbing alcohol and they are ready to be coated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cost for full powder coating on my builds at sources in our area were around $800 total each. This seems to be a pretty common range. I've seen a few that were a bit less. $1500 is pretty crazy.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I paid $800 on the first batch which I thought was everything. Ended up needing 3 more trips for miscellaneous pieces I decided I wanted done. That took me to $1000 total. I definitely paid more per piece on the small batches.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    I had two batches done for a total around $750, then decided it was time to learn how to powder coat myself. I had all the big pieces done, but now I can powder coat small items at will. I think the investment in the oven and the spray kit was a good one. I've become a fan of Eastwood.
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    I did all of mine with a clear semi-gloss finish. For everything it cost me $450. He said that it cost more because it was clear and he had to do a very good cleanup prior to doing mine.
    FFR Complete MKIV Kit (#8271)
    Ordered: Jan 21, 14, Registered: Aug 19, 15
    408 Keith Craft Engine (512 hp, 534 ftlb), Tremec TKO600, Fast EFI, 8.8 Solid 3.55:1 Rear End, FFR Replica Halibrands (9 & 10-1/2"),
    Dual Chrome Roll Bars/Bumpers/Polished Exhaust, Guardsman Blue with Wimbledon White Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    paid 350 locally to have it done gloss black. All of the aluminum and steel brackets. It was a no brainer. Laid it all out on the lawn and snapped a pic.

stack
    FFR MKI Roadster FFR2202K Built in 2000 sold
    FFR Hot Rod #39 under construction

9. Likes Tbev liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Cost for full powder coating on my builds at sources in our area were around $800 total each. This seems to be a pretty common range. I've seen a few that were a bit less. $1500 is pretty crazy.
    The vendor(s) in my area all do Marine/Offshore work for the oil patch and refineries so they all get a pretty penny for everything.
    It bugged the heck out of me when you consider what Factory Five charges us to do our frames.
    That's why I just couldn't justify the additional cost and opted to paint them instead.
    The going rate to powder coat aluminum wheels is $100.00 per wheel.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 05-30-2017 at 02:27 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve, there is a guy here In the lafayette area that does good work for very reasonable prices. He does 0 oilfield work!! He does slot of automotive and bicycle coating believe it or not. I also found a ceramic coated in Breaux bridge that will do the chrome high luster look. His price was 400 to blast and coat the pipes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Usudno View Post
    Steve, there is a guy here In the lafayette area that does good work for very reasonable prices. He does 0 oilfield work!! He does slot of automotive and bicycle coating believe it or not. I also found a ceramic coated in Breaux bridge that will do the chrome high luster look. His price was 400 to blast and coat the pipes.
    Good To Know!

Will contact you down the road (via: Private Message) regarding getting my headers coated after we finally get our car started and Go-Karting.
    Nothing has been going on over here in a while since I had a little accident, but I'm on the mend and hoping to post a new video soon.
    Also, our son will be at ULL in the fall (Geaux Rajin Cajun's) so I know I'll be making the trip out West or at least to the college and most definitely to Veron's for some Boudin.

Steve

PS: Sorry to hi-jack this string.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Just to share, my experience trying out a local powder coater was a nightmare. I intentionally went with a small husband and wife shop ( instead of larger shops in the area) as I like to help the small businesses. Terrible on meeting deadlines. I would tell them that parts were not a rush and ask for a pick up date, for example 2 weeks out, and they would say items would be ready in 3 days. They would not only miss the 3 days but also the 2 weeks I'd suggest. They would never call when the parts were ready, and, I would often go the the shop and no one would be there. A lot of family issues. And, the guy's eyes always looked glassy to me. I attributed that to the product. Bad assumption on my part. The one time they called me, was to pick up a final panel, that they left unfinished sandwiched between the front door and front screen door.

Total cost of lesson... $1,075. Way too much.
    Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8658. 04 of 20. 3.31 IRS.
    Forte 427 Dart, TKO 600, Quick Fuel 780 carb. Delivered 9/2/2015, First start/Go Cart 2/18/2017.
    Road Legal August 31, 2017

Post Thanks / Like
    I am lucky, my next door neighbor runs a powder coating shop in Daytona Beach, and I just drop them at his house. Daytona is about 25 miles away.

As mentioned its best to send a batch. I went with Hammertone black, looks great, doesent show prints. He even did the ceramic coat of the sidepipes. I would say I probably have about $500 in it fpr all the panels that are under the hood.
    Baghdad Bob

Complete Kit Delivered July 2010, serial @ 7287, Whitby Power Brakes, Whitby Tonneau, Power Steering w HEIDTS PS Valve, Hydralic clutch, 15" Wheels, BFG Tires, 331 stroker w Quick Fuel 650, RPM Heads, Air Gap Intake. IRS w 3.27, TKO-600. FFMETAL Firewall Forward, FFMETAL Dropped Battery Box in Trunk, Enlarged Passenger footbox, Breeze Cubby storage, Breeze Seat Brackets, Herbs Door Panels. Ford ruby red 12 coats.

Post Thanks / Like
    I live in IL but I'm building in GA. My Powdercoater (GA) runs at $180.00 per small batch per color - think 3 batches for ALL the aluminum...

Likewise, i had all the small raw steel pieces done in 1 batch - not bad.

My powdercoater in IL told me i was looking at around $1400.00 for the whole thing, but could be more if i was using any filler. Please.

So yeah, geography is everything....

Post Thanks / Like
    I had 56 aluminum panels and steel parts powder coated gloss black and it cost $400, just took them a month to do it. I also had the side pipes ceramic coated and it was $350, but it also took a month to get them back. Both places did a good job but they missed their deadlines by two weeks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine were done by a local guy. Just under $1400 for everything. That was with 2 separate batches.

Post Thanks / Like
    $330 for every part in gloss black. But my powder coater is a personal friend. Who ever you go with how ever needs to etch, primer wish or Alodine the parts before coating. Ask to make sure, otherwise the coating will flake off in time.