Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Power steering cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Power steering cooler

Power Steering cooler.... YES or NO ?????
    #8869 Delivered 5/11/2016 Traditional donor build using 1994 Mustang

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jstanding View Post
    Power Steering cooler.... YES or NO ?????
    What is your intended use of the car? Word I got was track use yes and street use not really needed.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Probably the most typical answer is for normal street cruising, no. If you plan to track or auto-x the car, it's recommended. Having said that, the two builds I've done with PS I went ahead and also installed a cooler even though I'm 99.9% street cruising. It's an easy add during the build and doesn't cost much. Would be much harder to add later.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Intended use is street. Reason i am leaning towards it is donor mustang was equipped with one from factory.

Post Thanks / Like
    I went pretty much the same way as Paul! I just thought it was a great preventative measure. Heat is a killer!
    FFR 5136 Started as a donor...donor guages, engine, trans,etc. Now...TFS street intake,stage 1 cam, GT40p's,24# injectors and 80mm MAF,70mm TB,Z-spec t-5, and PSE Halibrand wrapped with Nitto 555 G2’s. My ever evolving dream car!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Certainly. There's no good reason not to use one. And it's easy to install during the build.

The factory installs them in so many cars for a lot of good reasons. And you kn ow the factory would save $3 per car if the could get away with it.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    That being said who has pics of how and where they mounted the cooler?

Post Thanks / Like
    I think RPMs are the big heat generators. I do lots of autocross and track time and run one. I've built street only cars without but still put a cooler in the "good idea" category. Mine is just a simple 2 pass unit mounted in the oil cooler opening.

Cheers,
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I installed a Derale 13310 Fluid Cooler, 2 Rows, -6 AN Male Threads Inlet/Outlet, on the radiator shroud on the PS. Not exactly in moving airflow, but open all around. Lines route in and out pretty easily. I also use Honda PS fluid. Lots of forum discussion about this being the best for our use.

Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    Probably the most typical answer is for normal street cruising, no. If you plan to track or auto-x the car, it's recommended. Having said that, the two builds I've done with PS I went ahead and also installed a cooler even though I'm 99.9% street cruising. It's an easy add during the build and doesn't cost much. Would be much harder to add later.
    As said above, easy to install during the build and may be a clincher, if selling to someone who wants to race.
    SOLD 03/2013: MK II #5004: 5.0 EFI: 8.8, 3.55, E303, TW heads, GT40 intake, 24#, 70mm MAF

Ordered MK IV Coyote Complete Kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Everyone,

I have my roadster to the "on the road in gel coat" stage. I'm located in central Alberta, got my car registered last week of September 2016. I put 400 miles on it that first week and then our weather turned. (The driving that I did was in 7-15 degree Celsius temps before it got cold for fall)
    Was in that "just so excited to be driving it stage" that I wasn't honed in on all the little things that were not right.
    I had installed power steering without a cooler. With car on jack stands steering seemed relatively easy... found out after driving that slow speed steering was difficult.
    I then decided that from the fittings that I had used on pump / rack that I may have accidentally restricted flow of fluid. I then sourced different fittings and found that I "now" had power steering.
    When engine is first started everything seems fine. After system is warmed up power steering pump is noisy/assist still feels fine though. There does seem to be bubbles in fluid and reservoir lid is at the extreme hot side of comfort level to remove when system is warmed up (aluminum reservoir and lid)
    Finally...my question...

Would adding a cooler alleviate the bubbles and noise?

I did a donor build, deleted hydro boost on 1998 Mustang GT. I kept the 98 pump. I used a reconditioned rack for a 94+-. Car was crashed when I got it so not driveable to verify if pump was noisy before. I did start the car before tearing it apart but can't remember all the details (I was just so excited that it ran)
    Please forgive the long post for a simple question.
    Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    My experience w/ constant bubbles and noise was I replaced the pump. The reman pumps are usually in the $50 range so easy enough. I have seen people cut the reservoir neck and add in a piece of hose to extend it for more capacity. Also I highly recommend the honda PS fluid. Buy it at the dealer to be sure it's the real deal. Another option if you would like to go to a remote reservoir is a 99 Explorer pump. See if it would fit your bracket before buying though as I am not sure. You shouldn't need a cooler to have no bubbles and a quiet pump. Before I installed a cooler I had a reduced assist at the end of an autocross run in 90 deg weather. There was a slightly increased noise level but no big deal. Changing to honda fluid nearly fixed the problem and a cooler was the final answer.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    My experience w/ constant bubbles and noise was I replaced the pump. The reman pumps are usually in the $50 range so easy enough. I have seen people cut the reservoir neck and add in a piece of hose to extend it for more capacity. Also I highly recommend the honda PS fluid. Buy it at the dealer to be sure it's the real deal. Another option if you would like to go to a remote reservoir is a 99 Explorer pump. See if it would fit your bracket before buying though as I am not sure. You shouldn't need a cooler to have no bubbles and a quiet pump. Before I installed a cooler I had a reduced assist at the end of an autocross run in 90 deg weather. There was a slightly increased noise level but no big deal. Changing to honda fluid nearly fixed the problem and a cooler was the final answer.
    Thanks for the info