Post Thanks / Like

Trying to get an oval air cleaner on my 351w

My setup is as follows

Tristar 351W
    Edelbrock 7181 Performer RPM intake manifold
    Quickfuel 750 Carb w/ spacer
    MSD 8584 Billet Distributor
    Stock FFR motor mounts

I would like to fit the Cobra oval air cleaner and valve covers. I realize that I may sacrifice a little power with the oval cleaner but hey... I have 426hp. I'll be fine!

What I would like to know is if the spacer under my carb will create any issues and what filter element should i be looking at putting on this thing.

Thanks for any help!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the same setup although with a QF680. To be honest oval is a no go unless you opt for the small 11" one that I know Summit carries. It's a nice setup. I ended up with a drop base and 14"x3" round filter setup from Spectre. This will be a challenge to get the large oval on there with anything but a 1" filter.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a QF but am using a 302 based engine. Peformer Air Gap intake, and oval air cleaner.

The first spacer I got was 1 1/4 and was too tall. I got another spacer, from holly the one, its about 1/2" and works fine.
    Baghdad Bob

Complete Kit Delivered July 2010, serial @ 7287, Whitby Power Brakes, Whitby Tonneau, Power Steering w HEIDTS PS Valve, Hydralic clutch, 15" Wheels, BFG Tires, 331 stroker w Quick Fuel 650, RPM Heads, Air Gap Intake. IRS w 3.27, TKO-600. FFMETAL Firewall Forward, FFMETAL Dropped Battery Box in Trunk, Enlarged Passenger footbox, Breeze Cubby storage, Breeze Seat Brackets, Herbs Door Panels. Ford ruby red 12 coats.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm pretty sure I have seen a few pictures of guys running the oval cleaner on a 351w based engine. I'm just not sure if the spacer that my crate motor came with will create a problem. I have read that I should go to a 2 1/4" filter if possible. I just want to see an example of it fitting. I have seen engine factory supplies their crate motors with the oval cleaner...

Thanks again for any insight!

Post Thanks / Like
    Using different engine mounts may get you there. Bruce on the other forum went through the same long before me and he tried multiple different air cleaner units and no go if you want larger than a 1" filter. I think he ended up with a smaller round Edelbrock unit on his.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was under the impression that the energy suspension mounts that came with the kit were the same as "convertible' mounts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Could I get away with a drop base of some sort and a 2" filter element in the oval cleaner??

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 427W from engine factory. It came with the cobra valve covers and oval air cleaner. Everything fits fine. It has a 3/4 inch spacer on top of the carb and the air cleaner is a motorcraft item #FA-48. Hope this helps. I used the engine mounts that came with the kit. I did cut the reliefs in them for block clearance.
    JRL16
    Mk4 delivered 4/28/16. First start 10/15/16. First gocart 11/10/16. Engine Factory 427W. 750 carb. Tremec TKO600. 2015 IRS. Power steering. Whitby power brakes. Wilwood brakes. 18" wheels. Falken tires. Sway bars front and rear. Forte hydraulic clutch and mechanical throttle linkage. Scott's Hot Rods triple reservoir. Ceramic coated headers. Gas’n sidepipes. Heated seats. Herb Fraser walnut door panels. Wipers. Console.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks jrl16.. what reliefs??

Post Thanks / Like
    And which oval air cleaner is it?? Does it utilize a drop base?

Post Thanks / Like
    The air cleaner housing doesn't have a dropped base in it. I think if you look on engine factory's website you'll see an option for cobra dress up on their engines. Can't help you any more there. Maybe call them and order one from them or they can tell you where you can get them. As far as the reliefs cut in the motor mounts for engine clearance on the engines with dart blocks there are reinforcing ribs in the area of the motor mounts. No way to get the engine to set on the mounts properly without cutting reliefs in the mounts. I think it's only on dart blocks though. I did shave the fiberglass lip of the body in the air cleaner area. Wasn't really necessary but looks good with the air cleaner centered in it. Plenty of room. Good luck.
    JRL16
    Mk4 delivered 4/28/16. First start 10/15/16. First gocart 11/10/16. Engine Factory 427W. 750 carb. Tremec TKO600. 2015 IRS. Power steering. Whitby power brakes. Wilwood brakes. 18" wheels. Falken tires. Sway bars front and rear. Forte hydraulic clutch and mechanical throttle linkage. Scott's Hot Rods triple reservoir. Ceramic coated headers. Gas’n sidepipes. Heated seats. Herb Fraser walnut door panels. Wipers. Console.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's close, but mine fit with the little spacer to get the air cleaner housing to sit on top of the distributor. (not a very good picture.)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the 427w from engine factory as well. It fits, but it does stick up into the scoop a little. It would not fit if I didn't have a scoop. I have no issues at all with it being in the scoop as the hood slopes downward anyway and you can't see that unless you look for it. Even if you do it does not look wrong or bad.
    Mk4 #8340, 351w/427, 3-link, Wilwood 4 piston rear brakes, 3.27 gear, TKO600, delivered June 18th, 2014

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by smithbks View Post
    I have the 427w from engine factory as well. It fits, but it does stick up into the scoop a little. It would not fit if I didn't have a scoop. I have no issues at all with it being in the scoop as the hood slopes downward anyway and you can't see that unless you look for it. Even if you do it does not look wrong or bad.
    Interesting, my air cleaner seems to fit without the scoop opening. Haven't done the final fitting yet though, and I don't know how much it clears. But at this point it's not touching or interfering with either the body/hood opening lip or the hood.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I always post this on oval air cleaner threads. Make sure that the top cover is not sitting on the carb vent tubes. Mine did with the standard skinny filter. It causes SEVERE flooding.
    S&B makes a thicker washable one. It may be too high for a 351 with a spacer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info! I'll give it a shot.

Post Thanks / Like
    My plan is to call k&n and have them make a custom oval one with a x flow top for my 461 Windsor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Avalanche325 View Post
    I always post this on oval air cleaner threads. Make sure that the top cover is not sitting on the carb vent tubes. Mine did with the standard skinny filter. It causes SEVERE flooding.
    S&B makes a thicker washable one. It may be too high for a 351 with a spacer.
    Got the link per chance?