Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Placement of turn signal switch

Post Thanks / Like

Placement of turn signal switch

I have the padded dash with glove box from factory five and I'm putting two and two together and realizing that if i place my horn button, ignition switch, and headlight switch in the three holes provided, I will have to find a spot for my turn signal/hazard switch. Any ideas???

Post Thanks / Like
    The 20th Anniversary edition on the FFR website photo gallery has the padded dash w/glove box. They mounted the horn, ignition and headlight control in the holes provided and mounted the turn signal toggle under the dash. You can see it in one of the photos. I assume the hazard switch is under dash as well. Not my preference but might be the best way to go since the other three holes are located and you cant control the spacing. I think FFR should cut the gauge holes but leave all the others blanked for personal preference.
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    I always put them to the left of the wheel where you can easily reach it---I can activate my own without having to take my left hand from the wheel (it's actually a momentary rocker switch that triggers an electronic self canceling module). Here's a photo of one that I built for a customer that uses a momentary toggle for module activation:

The first switch left of the speedo is turn signals, the other one farther to the left is high/low beam toggle.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I've got mine just to the right of the wheel at about the 3 o'clock position on the wheel. I can activate it without taking my hand off the wheel. Since I just used the basic FFR switch(well upgraded to a chrome handle but same idea) that means I also have to turn it off. Since almost every time I am coming out of a turn I am taking my hand off the wheel to shift I have developed the habit pattern of just turning it off when my right hand is leaving the shifter and coming back to the wheel. Works pretty good for me. My first few drives I found I was constantly driving around forgetting to turn the blinker off. Now with associating it with the shift I am about 98% at getting it off before coming out of the turn.

I am not saying I wouldn't enjoy a self canceling because I would but the positioning just to the right of the wheel where I can activate it with my finger tips is quite nice. Almost prefer that to the standard turn signal lever on the left in all my other cars.

It is the one just above the horn button.
    Last edited by wareaglescott; 06-01-2017 at 04:55 PM.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    From what I can figure, I need my turn signal switch, a hazard switch of some type, ignition switch, horn, light switch, anything else necessary?

Post Thanks / Like
    Wareagle what are the two red switches for?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Usudno View Post
    From what I can figure, I need my turn signal switch, a hazard switch of some type, ignition switch, horn, light switch, anything else necessary?
    Headlight high/low beam switch. Obviously a wiper &/or heater fan switch if you have them. Not absolutely required but I consider it a REALLY good idea to include a cooling fan manual override switch in parallel with the automatic thermo switch.

Jeff

8. Likes BlueMud liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wareagle what are the two red switches for?
    One is the high beam, the other is the emergency flashers. We have those guarded switches in the airplane so I used those to go along with my fighter stick. Not particularly all that functionally efficient but I rarely will use either anyways.

The only other hole I made in the dash other than what is pictured was for the Coyote MIL light. That is closer to my steering wheel.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine is to the left of the steering wheel because that is where it is on most street cars. I have a toggle switch w/ a plastic extension which makes it real easy to operate w/ my hand still on the wheel.
    http://www.elecdirect.com/cole-herse...-long-handle-1
    http://www.elecdirect.com/cole-herse...xtension-black
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Jeff - not to take over the thread, but can you tell us more about the cancellation on your switch? I hate getting miles down the road and realizing my blinker is still on!!
    Mk4 #8340, 351w/427, 3-link, Wilwood 4 piston rear brakes, 3.27 gear, TKO600, delivered June 18th, 2014

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by smithbks View Post
    Hey Jeff - not to take over the thread, but can you tell us more about the cancellation on your switch? I hate getting miles down the road and realizing my blinker is still on!!
    Not Jeff (obviously ) but here's a post from the other forum where he described it. http://www.ffcars.com/forums/5613737-post7.html
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jeff, I will not be running a heater or wipers. I will however need a high/low beam switch and a fan switch. What switches are you guys using for these?? I know the complete kit comes with a few switches.

Thanks for the help. This is really helping clear up my dash layout.
    I think I'm set on the key to the left as well as turn signal switch. I would like to keep the 3 holes that are already cut into my dash for the horn, fan, and headlights. That leaves me adding one near there for the high/low selector and some sort of hazzard switch. I will probably run indicators for the left and right signals and a blue for high beams.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not done with my dash layout, it's only in mock-up at the moment.. but..

I'm running metal toggle switches for everything (left-to-right) (main ignition, parking/head lights, fan, hazards).
    I got all mine from these guys (http://www.12voltunlimited.com/Switches_c_14.html) mainly because they were one of the few places I found that sold a off-on-on progressive DPDT switch for my headlights.
    http://www.12voltunlimited.com/Progr...itch_p_40.html
    Also, I'm going with a Push-Button Starter, and using a DEI PKE-2102T keyless entry module. No Ignition Key! Just get in and go!
    The starter button, ignition, headlights, fan and hazards will all be to the right.
    The turn-signal is a momentary toggle and will be to the left of the wheel.

But. to answer your question.. this is what I use to switch my high-low beams.

Post Thanks / Like
    Jeff, I will not be running a heater or wipers. I will however need a high/low beam switch and a fan switch. What switches are you guys using for these?? I know the complete kit comes with a few switches.

Thanks for the help. This is really helping clear up my dash layout.
    I think I'm set on the key to the left as well as turn signal switch. I would like to keep the 3 holes that are already cut into my dash for the horn, fan, and headlights. That leaves me adding one near there for the high/low selector and some sort of hazzard switch. I will probably run indicators for the left and right signals and a blue for high beams.
    Everything you will need is included with the complete kit:

SPDT ON/ON for headlight high and low

SPST ON/OFF for the fan

DPDT ON/OFF/ON for hazards; this one confuses some people. What is actually needed electrically is a DPST ON/ON but FFR has always included the DPDT, I suspect because a matching DPST is not available through their supplier. Simply wire it as if it were a DPST and leave the second pair of load terminals unused resulting in an ON/OFF/OFF configuration or redundantly connect the two load pairs to create an ON/OFF/ON. Either way works but keep in mind that you must use the double pole switch so that left and right turn signals remain isolated from one another otherwise they will cross feed.

Jeff

16. Likes BlueMud liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I use a long metal handle toggle switch that is spring loaded to center (off). Its on the left side near the wheel.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Slide... I really like that setup for high lows... were did you get that switch?? My local auto parts store has a momentary switch similar but not a in off.

Post Thanks / Like
    Slide... I really like that setup for high lows... were did you get that switch?? My local auto parts store has a momentary switch similar but not a in off.
    Not sure .. did you mean to ask ME that question?
    If so... this is the switch I bought. I got this one specifically, because it has a much shorter base where the spade terminals are. Thus, ensuring I had plenty of clearance between the terminals, and the aluminum side of the foot box.
    As it is, the wires just touch the aluminum, but it'll be fine since I will wrap them in plastic wiring loom.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Not that really mattered, but had I gotten this one, then the wiring harness I used (speedway motors 12 circuit) would have fit clean since it had a compatible plug. Since I chose the other switch, I had to pull out the plug connectors, and wrap with shrink-tube and attach them 1-by-1. But.. that really wan't hard to do, and this one has much bigger base, so would have gotten a little too close to the side aluminum panel .. so.. meh.
    https://www.amazon.com/Standard-Moto...6422223&sr=1-4

Post Thanks / Like
    Yessir I meant you. Autocorrect got me! Thanks for the info!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skidd View Post

But. to answer your question.. this is what I use to switch my high-low beams.

I did the same for mine, except mounted it closer to the floor. Reminds me of my old Mustangs...
    FFR #8833 289 FIA 3-link
    1965 289, TKO600 from Forte's Parts Connection
    Body and Paint by Mike's Auto Restoration
    Picked up 3/5/2016, First start 4/22/2017, MA legal 7/11/2018
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...FIA-build-8833
    "Insanity is contagious" - Joseph Heller

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the padded dash with glove box from factory five and I'm putting two and two together and realizing that if i place my horn button, ignition switch, and headlight switch in the three holes provided, I will have to find a spot for my turn signal/hazard switch. Any ideas???
    I placed my switch on the opposite side of the steering wheel as that mentioned by Jeff Kleiner, but the same principle. Easy reach from the steering wheel without having to look for it. My hands are at 4 and 8 o'clock on the steering wheel with elbows tight to the body. The switch is right there. Again, easy access.

Jeff, I love the idea of using the electronic cancelling. That might be a good winter project. God I dislike working under the dash. How fortunate are you to have your own forum secretary. Heehee