Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: MY MK1 has a droopy rear

Post Thanks / Like

MY MK1 has a droopy rear

Hello All.

My soon to be 17 year old MK1 is sagging in the back where the rear tires are about even with the fender lip. I'd like to boost it up to an inch or so. Last year I removed the wheels and loosened the suspension enough that I could rotate the coil springs to raise the rear. It looked good for awhile but eventually the coils went back to their droopy spot due to rough roads.

Is there a way to turn the springs to lift the rear then put some type of bracket to hold it. Is there such a thing?

How would you guys approach this problem?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    put coil over shocks on and be done
    The traveling Builder
    717-773-5624

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree w/ Mark but...there are ways. One would be to rotate the spring again to get the height you want. then drill a hole through the spiral right at the end of the spring. It may be at a weird angle but it doesn't need to be pretty, just anything you can put a 1/4 inch bolt and nut through so the end of the spring can't move.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought about drilling a hole for a bolt but that is some serious steel back there.

Where does one start with the coil overs shocks. How much retrofitting would it take to get them in? Is there a video or photos, Pricing?

Post Thanks / Like
    here is a start;
    http://www.breezeautomotive.com/deta...=876&cat_id=35
    See the bracket in the 4th picture? you don't have that but you can get away w/o it. Your bracket has a short bolt in the same position as this but all it does is bolt the back of the bracket to the axle. Remove your bolt, get a grade 8 1/2-20 bolt about 3-4 inches long. you may need to drill out the hole to 1/2 inch. now install the bolt so the head is inside the axle bracket and the threaded end toward the rear. Get a pair of these in about 3/4 inch length
    http://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS-Performan...64202/10002/-1
    slip them on the bolt thin end out. install the shock and add another spacer like above but in maybe 3/8 length,and a nylock nut. The nut torque is 100#. this is why I recommend these spacers rather than the thin ones that came w/ the shock. The 3 link brackets are a better deal since then the shock is mounted in double shear. But I ran my car for a year w/ the above single shear setup and it was fine.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    You could throw spring spacers in, if you wan. to keep it cheap and simple.

http://www.superpro.com.au/superpro-...spring-spacers

There are also these style available.
    Last edited by AC Bill; 06-03-2017 at 03:28 PM.
    FFR6803RD, MK 3.1, 302 EFI, fr/rr disc brakes, WC-T5, c/w Hurst Competition Plus shifter, 3 link rear, Koni adjustable coil over shocks, dual roll bars, BBK 4-4 headers, 3.55 rear gears, BBK rear lower control arms c/w poly bushings. Ivy Green Metallic Arrived-02/08, On road 09/2010

Post Thanks / Like
    Boy those coil overs from Breeze are not cheap! The spring spaces are interesting.
    It wasn't easy but I just finished putting bolts in like Craigs suggested. I had to undo the travel limiting straps and the lower control arm. I had to use 3 jacks to get the holes to line up but it is all back together and the rear is now up over the tires. I will have to drive it a bit and hopefully it will stay up.

Thanks for the info guys.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is another option, $100 less expensive.

http://www.factoryfiveparts.com/1467...coil-over-kit/
    FFinisher/AKA RE63