Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: anyone try electric power steering yet? if so i would like to see your setup

Post Thanks / Like

anyone try electric power steering yet? if so i would like to see your setup

i recently discovered electric power steering out of a toyota corolla and an considering adding it to my car and just wanted to kinow if anyone has done it yet. i saw a cobra with a saturn vue electric steering unit under the dash and was done for about $100. neat

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The 818'really don't need powersteering
    Wayne Presley www.verycoolparts.com
    Xterminator 705 RWHP supercharged 4.6 DOHC with twin turbos

Moonlight Performance
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not enough weight up front to require it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've got it, well sort of. I have an EHPS system. Using a 3rd gen mr2 pump and the 15 sti rack. Its definitely not needed but I'm sharing the car with my old man and anything I can do to help him drive the car. I'm doing. The main reason I chose the mr2 pump was space savings and the fact that my car is already assembled. It would of been a huge pain to run lines from the motor all the way to the rack when I already have my ac lines installed as well as my awic setup.

Post Thanks / Like
    lots of things added to cars really dont need it but it might be a nice touch

Post Thanks / Like
    What some of the Pro Touring builders are using is a Saturn Vue or Prius EPS steering column. That may be the route I take on my Ecoboost Falcon build.
    I agree and don't think it is needed on a 818 but that's me.
    Last edited by Mitch Wright; 06-10-2017 at 09:58 AM.

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I have the 2015 STI rack on the 818R powered off the stock pump and really don't think its enough lighter steering than the manual rack to warrant the extra lines and possible failure points

Post Thanks / Like
    There is an 818 build thread where an electric PS module was used. It is one where there was quite a bit of customization and then the updates stopped. To get the room for the unit, the builder employed a petal assembly where the clutch and master were on the top and inside the passenger area. The build thread did not get to the installation of the dash or a review of how it was connected up electrically. There is a nice write up by one builder who used the power steering system off of his doner and IMHO looks to be the easier and better alternative.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think it really depends on your build and what you want. I went with a brand new rack and wasn't going to destroy the rack by going manual. It's a chore getting my car out of my driveway and I do enough slow speed maneuvering that I can warrant the addition. I feel the setup is a bit to light at times compared to my old rack but that might also be the new sti rack being quicker compounding the issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm an early builder, #25, who kept the donor power steering mostly just to see if I could make it work. Wayne is correct that PS is not needed. My goal for my 818 is to see if I could make it look and drive like a production car, so I kept the PS pump and the power rack and just had longer hoses made by a hydraulics shop. It was easy and inexpensive, sort of nice, but not necessary.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    I've got a leaky power steering pump, wondering about this as well...

Post Thanks / Like
    Power steering not necessary. What the 818 does need is better/more equalized brakes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I had an rally wiz.com EPAS set up on my donor when it was a race car not planing on using it on the 818r. Only needed it in the Pitts and getting the car on and off the trailer

https://youtu.be/_5-CyEjIkHU
    https://youtu.be/_5-CyEjIkHU
    FFR 818r Instagram biknman69
    2020 Ram 2500HD, 19 Forester Touring DD, 96 GM coupe for SCCA SM
    “There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.”
    • Ernest Hemingway

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been working on a electric power steering col for about a week know i have it all in and will be testing it this week end i will let you know how it works out next week

Post Thanks / Like
    All fab done ready to go in my finished car tomorrow night and go for a ride100_2552.JPG100_2553.JPG
    y

Administrator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Brian, what did the unit come out of?

Post Thanks / Like
    how do you like the eps?

Post Thanks / Like
    Wayne I took the unit out of a Prius and u joints out of two different Hondas and the upper column out a legacy no cutting or welding it bolted in. going for a ride tomorrow night will let every one know how it works out then

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok EPs finished and road tested like it like it alot works awesome

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes i was a beta tester for Eric Hansons new Electric power steering system and want to give everybody a update. It works really well but a few issue that i had to iron out is change your alignment right away to around 7degrees caster. and you dont really need a bumpsteer kit. I also dont had to see the sensativity of the unit because it was toooo twitchy. Took it to a autocross here in San Diego and it worked great!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    in the Saker, they used a unit from a Saturn. You can also get units for sandrails, that come with the rheostat (which would only be required for an R). They even come in a 17mm shaft size, and look really easy to install. It's on our list, once we get everything else sorted and some hours on the car.

Post Thanks / Like
    On the the one i did i test fitted it in the car I AM still working on
    and i installed it in my finished car start to finish took about 1 hour
    Last edited by brian b 36; 07-11-2017 at 07:15 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark C View Post
    Yes i was a beta tester for Eric Hansons new Electric power steering system and want to give everybody a update. It works really well but a few issue that i had to iron out is change your alignment right away to around 7degrees caster. and you dont really need a bumpsteer kit. I also dont had to see the sensativity of the unit because it was toooo twitchy. Took it to a autocross here in San Diego and it worked great!!!
    Is that the autocross at Qualcomm? Will you be there this weekend?

Post Thanks / Like
    The 15-16-17 SUBARU IMPREZA WRX uses a electric PS rack. They are appearing on eBay. I wonder if they will fit and bolt up?

Example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/15-16-SUBARU....c100005.m1851
    and

http://www.ebay.com/itm/15-16-17-SUB....c100005.m1851

Last edited by Sgt.Gator; 10-04-2017 at 01:39 PM.
    "Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"
    Owner: Colonel Red Racing
    eBAy Store: http://stores.ebay.com/colonelredracing
    818R ICSCC SPM
    2005 Subaru STI Race Car ICSCC ST and SPM
    Palatov DP4 - ICSCC Sports Racer

Post Thanks / Like
    I can set anyone up with the electric setup I used in my car if anyone is interested for around 500 dollars pm me

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by brian b 36 View Post
    I can set anyone up with the electric setup I used in my car if anyone is interested for around 500 dollars pm me
    What was you alignment specs with the power steering setup. I never went back to get mine redone...

Post Thanks / Like
    How does the inner tie rod center to center measure compared to the factory rack? Also my Prius is built for fuel economy not high performance cornering such as encountered in auto cross. This may have an effect on reliability, handling and most important safety.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know this thread is a bit old but I'm interested in electric power steering. I'm planning an all electric 818 using a Tesla drive unit and I'll have a lot of battery weight in the front. I'm estimating around 2600lbs final vehicle weight. My last electric used the manual steering from an 88 Fiero, and it was OK, but the 818 will be a bit heavier, and have much larger front tires. PS will be a nice feature when parking. So BrianB 36: are you still happy with your Prius setup? If you had to do it again would you do it the same way? I've heard about the Saturn Vue steering column from a few people, wondering how clean that would be. Also see mention of the WRX electric PS unit. Anyone have any experience with that? Sounds like it could be the "most pure" solution. From what I see, all of these would use the standard WRX rack from the donor, no? So my steering geometry from the rack out to the wheels would stay the same, as far as I can tell. Actually, I wouldn't matter to me because I'm planning to skip the donor car and just buy the parts I need.

Post Thanks / Like
    The Prius seems to be the preferred OEM solution for lots of different applications, lots of people putting them in 60s Mustangs as well. There are also some really nice aftermarket units that are programmable to adjust assist based on speed. The electric assist goes in the column, not the rack, so geometry isn’t changed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the input. Sounds like the Prius solution may be the way I go. I like the fact that I can use it with the Subaru rack without any modifications, other than maybe mounts. When the time comes I'll have to reach out to Brian B.

Post Thanks / Like
    A video of converting an Impreza rally car to electric column assist:

"Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"
    Owner: Colonel Red Racing
    eBAy Store: http://stores.ebay.com/colonelredracing
    818R ICSCC SPM
    2005 Subaru STI Race Car ICSCC ST and SPM
    Palatov DP4 - ICSCC Sports Racer

32. Likes biknman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like