Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: New Helmet Paint Design

Post Thanks / Like

New Helmet Paint Design

Had to buy a new helmet, as I'm finally getting back on track and the Snell rating on my old one was out of date. Tired of plain helmets (though I appreciate that manufacturers are at least offering them in colors other than white, finally), I decided to have my new Aria GP-5 painted by a local airbrush artist.

Since it will see use in both my new GT350 and my '65 Mustang vintage racer - someday, when that car is done - I decided to go with something that ties in the "Terlingua Racing Team" decal that I'm using on both cars. For those who don't know the history, Shelby and some friends owned pretty much all of the land in and around the ghost town of Terlingua, TX back in the early sixties and used it as sort of a retreat to blow off steam. Bill Neale, the automotive artist and one of the Terlingua gang, came up with the coat of arms and over the years, he and Shelby had a great time plastering them all over race cars at various events, including LeMans and the Indy 500. It's been written that finding one of those decals on your race car back then was a badge of honor.

So, I gave the painter a spare decal and a very bright white helmet with only a few requests - read up on the history, have fun, include some peppers ('cause the rabbit is holding his hand up saying that he doesn't want any more on his chili), and include a cross with a heart in the center somewhere.

Here's the history of the logo as written by the Bill Neale: http://terlinguaracingteam.com/terlingua-racing-logo/

Well, here's what he came up with.......... (still need to reassemble, including a silver mirrored visor and the HANS clips)

Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    That is awesome!
    So much respect for people that can create like that. Wish I had that talent.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! That is an awesome helmet.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.