Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Door appears too tall

Post Thanks / Like

Door appears too tall

Before I start modifying the hardtop I wanted to see if any one else has had a similar issue. I am trying to install the right side door skin but with no clearance on the bottom of the door skin, the top of the door hits the lip on the hard top. I am not sure if I have installed something wrong. The hard top sits on the side sails in the back and I have raised the front of the hardtop but the back of the door skin does not fit in the opening. IMG_1141.jpgIMG_1144.jpg

Before I start cutting the lip on the hardtop, I wanted to see if anyone else has found another way to deal with this. Or maybe, I have installed something in correct.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, do you have a picture of the whole door mounted on the car? How does the front of the door fit near the fender?

Post Thanks / Like
    This is the only other one I have with me.IMG_1146.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Raise the top and set it back a bit more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 07FIREBLADE View Post
    Raise the top and set it back a bit more.
    Thanks for the advice. If raise the top, I would have to add filler to side panels to make it match the top, which is an option. With no clearance at the bottom, the door is 1/8+ than the opening. Would it be better to cut the lip and glass the corner of the hardtop? If I raise the top, would you recommend building up the top of he side panel with resin and mat? I am asking since I have no experience with either, but I am not scared to give it a go.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    The body panels are supposed to be at least 3/16" thick, typically even more in corners such as that.

You might be able to get away with just sanding each a bit, and maybe toss a small ~.060 shim under the top on that side.

Are you doing a new build or conversion? Personally I think the entire gap door looks too tight to swing open and close smoothly so that might need to go forward a touch.
    Last edited by phil1734; 06-06-2017 at 05:55 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you haven't already, check out this thread...http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ounting-Tricks

Post Thanks / Like
    I started out with Wayne's thread which is very useful and spot on. The left side door went on very well and I was able to get enough clearance around the door. I am still working through the right side door. I raised the top by one large paint stir stick thickness (good measurement term, right? I will try it is work!) and then sanded the upper lip to get the door to fit. I then remembered the inner door panel fits on top so it was not going to be enough! I added a small paint stir stick thickness to allow enough to fit the panel under.
    IMG_1157.jpg
    IMG_1161.jpg

I still do not have enough clearance around the bottom of the door. I need to slide the door forward more to increase the clearance. I am also considering dropping the top down half of the current thickness.
    I think this will give me the option to either:
    1. Cut out and reglass the lip to get clearance
    2. Cut back the top of the door skin so the inner panel can be lowered slightly on the top end of the door.

I noticed the door handle template fit the contour of the left side door very well but not too good on the lower radius of the right side door.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just throwing this out there, could your side panel be adjusted down a little to help with the bottom door gap?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flynntuna View Post
    Just throwing this out there, could your side panel be adjusted down a little to help with the bottom door gap?
    I will give that try as well. Thank you!