Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: towing with a tow dolly

Post Thanks / Like

towing with a tow dolly

My Mk4 roadster build is pretty much complete! I painted it - bright yellow! - a couple weeks ago, and put in the carpeting and mirrors last week. I picked the kit up in Wareham in January 2016, and have been working on it most weekends since then. It's been an experience, to put it mildly.
    To register the car in NY, I have to tow it to a weigh station to have it weighed, a NYS title inspection office, and a NYS safety inspection station. That's three tows. Has anyone towed a roadster with side pipes on using a U-haul tow dolly? I don't have a truck to pull a full size trailer, and would prefer not to have to rent both a trailer and truck. I would be towing it behind a subaru outback that has a towing weight limit of 2700 lbs. I wouldn't have to tow it more than 20 miles round trip. I'll drive really slowly.
    Thanks for the input.

Cobra picture.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I would not risk it. You would be towing at max capacity. I rented the Uhaul F150 + full size car hauler. For a twenty mile round trip it would probably cost about $100. Why risk it. I think I ended up renting the UHaul setup around 6 times. No regrets.

You might be able to do the weigh and safety on the same day and save a tow.

Post Thanks / Like
    I guess you're right. I'll check with U-Haul this morning to see if they have both a car hauler and pickup in stock. I don't think I can do the safety inspection until NYS DMV inspects the car. And DMV won't inspect it until I submit an application by mail that includes the weight certificate, photo's, bill of sale for the donor car, and title documents from Factory Five.
    Thanks for the input.

Post Thanks / Like
    Joel,

You might also find someone in the FFR community that could help you out. There's got to be someone else in the Albany area with a trailer and tow vehicle. We had the treasurer of the Ohio Cobra club offer to help us out with our inspection etc.

Chris @ Forma

Post Thanks / Like
    Agree just rent for Uhaul, we'll worth it.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Master Builder
    Post Thanks / Like
    For what it cost to rent a uhaul truck and trailer you could probably contact a smaller towing company and have them flat bed it for you.
    Here we have several "junk Car" tow companies that work very reasonably. But only use a flat bed.

Post Thanks / Like
    I recently did something similar and wouldn't do it again unless absolutely necessary. I rented a U-Haul dolly to tow my wife's Dodge Avenger (maybe 3500 lbs) 10 hilly miles to the dealer when the throttle body failed. I used my 1994 Pathfinder, which I am sure was maxed out, or beyond, towing the Avenger. We were in a bind as the car needed to be moved ASAP, my full-size truck had a dead battery and was out of inspection, we were leaving town for vacation in the next day or so, and she needed the car for work immediately upon return. Setting aside the low margin of safety and abusiveness, the tow dolly had short, steep ramps which hit the bumper cover when loading and unloading. So, it was a forgettable experience in all respects. Also, Uhaul will likely enter the tow vehicle and towed vehicle data into their computer, which may instruct the clerk not to rent it to you, presumably for liability/legal reasons.

Post Thanks / Like
    So there's no way you can get a TOP "temporary operating permit" in NY, so you can drive the car to the inspection? That would save a lot of fooling around, and expense.

I was able to get one of these through our Govt Insurance agent. The TOP allowed me 24 hours, to drive it to the Govt scales to get weighed, to the vehicle inspection place, and back to the insurance office, so they could verify the new VIN was attached, and correct. At that point I could then purchase insurance, and was given license plates.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AC Bill View Post
    So there's no way you can get a TOP "temporary operating permit" in NY, so you can drive the car to the inspection? That would save a lot of fooling around, and expense.

I was able to get one of these through our Govt Insurance agent. The TOP allowed me 24 hours, to drive it to the Govt scales to get weighed, to the vehicle inspection place, and back to the insurance office, so they could verify the new VIN was attached, and correct. At that point I could then purchase insurance, and was given license plates.
    That is a good point AC. Several sates I have lived in allow a drive to an inspection station as long as you have an appointment for an inspection.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    The NYS instructions for registering a homemade vehicle says that the car "must" be towed to scale, the vehicle examination site, and the safety inspection. https://dmv.ny.gov/forms/vs100.pdf

So this afternoon I rented a uhaul truck and trailer and towed it to the scale at a recycling center, where I got lots of compliments and comments about the car. Several people volunteered to direct me as I drove it off and back on the trailer. First time the cars been off my street. It weighed about 2200 lbs.

One tow down, two to go.

Thanks everyone for the input.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used the tow dolly with my Traverse, no issue at all

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know for a fact, but heard that the T-5 trans doesn't tolerate towing well due to some parts not being lubed properly. Best to pull the drive shaft.
    FFR 5136 Started as a donor...donor guages, engine, trans,etc. Now...TFS street intake,stage 1 cam, GT40p's,24# injectors and 80mm MAF,70mm TB,Z-spec t-5, and PSE Halibrand wrapped with Nitto 555 G2’s. My ever evolving dream car!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by steno View Post
    I don't know for a fact, but heard that the T-5 trans doesn't tolerate towing well due to some parts not being lubed properly. Best to pull the drive shaft.
    STEN JOHNSON IS RIGHT! (((You don't know how many years I've been waiting to be able to use that modified throwback to Blazing Saddles )))

When being towed in neutral with the engine off the output is spinning but the input shaft and cluster gear are stationary which means that no lube is being moved. The result is that the bearings between the stationary input and turning output are running dry and will ultimately fail. Twenty miles at low speeds MIGHT be OK, or might not...

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Joel, you should only need to tow to the title inspection office now. Once they are done with you, you can send the paperwork to tech services and get the required from. Then to DMV to register, at registration, they will give you temporary 10day inspection sticker, then you should be all set to drive to your safety inspection.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Feen, I'll look into getting a 10 day sticker.

Post Thanks / Like
    All great info....plus you can't back up with a tow dolly so you need to check ingress and egress before pulling in somewhere.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm in NY and did the 3 tows ... (1) for weighing; (2) for State Police inspection; (3) for DMV inspection. Each time I used a UHaul car trailer. Two of them were fine, no issues - just make sure you're centred. The third was a PITA - the ramps were slightly damaged which meant the exhausts bottomed out - I had to use some sections of 2x4 strategically placed to lift the rear as I came up the ramps.

FFR6243RD, MkIII, 3.55, IRS, pin-drive width, carb'd 351W, T5, 1/2 dropped butt, Fortes hydraulic clutch, deep dish AC-III wheels by Team III. 9 year build; NY registered 7/18/2016 - "Sweet 16" winner at 2016 Taconic State Nationals 5 days later ... in 'rough as hell' gel coat for the foreseeable future! Build Blog - Leave me a comment!

Register your car with the Factory Five Cars Rule! mobile app available from the app store