Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Classic 15" tires: Where to find?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Classic 15" tires: Where to find?

The march toward complete obsolescence continues. It's getting harder and harder to find tires for my 15" rims!

I'm not ready to pump out $400+ per tire for Avons. I was thinking about getting some Cooper Cobras but it looks like they stopped making them?

Who still makes the classic 245/60 R15 and 295/50 R15's? I think BFGoodrich does but they have a reputation for being rock-hard...

I've found this:
    http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/street/sportsman-st/

I'd like opinions on these as well as any others you can share.

Who else makes a proper Cobra Tire?

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    I used Cooper Cobras on a Mk4 build a few years ago (235/60 and 295/50). The owner has been completely satisfied with them for his street cruiser use.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Try Hoosier - they make some sticky 15s for vintage racing and are more affordable than Avon.
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    David,
    I'm currently running the MT ST radials in 235-60 and 295-50 x 15 on my car. They balanced well, run straight and have good lateral grip and good straight line grip when warmed up. I bought them from Summit and had them mounted at Big O. HTH
    Frank
    Last edited by Frank Messina; 06-06-2017 at 05:18 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by David Hodgkins View Post
    The march toward complete obsolescence continues. It's getting harder and harder to find tires for my 15" rims!

I'm not ready to pump out $400+ per tire for Avons. I was thinking about getting some Cooper Cobras but it looks like they stopped making them?

Who still makes the classic 245/60 R15 and 295/50 R15's? I think BFGoodrich does but they have a reputation for being rock-hard...

I've found this:
    http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/street/sportsman-st/

I'd like opinions on these as well as any others you can share.

Who else makes a proper Cobra Tire?

I have a virtually new set of Cooper Cobras, 295/50/15 & 235/60/15. They have no more than 10 miles on them (blue coating still on white letters). How about $300, you pay the shipping?
    PM me with contact info.
    Steve
    358 SBC, Winters QC, Sweet mfg, Coleman, AP Racing, ARS, TKO 600, Fuel Safe

Post Thanks / Like
    The BFGs are the only game in town for ubder 300 each Dave. I feel your pain.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the same MT S/T's as Frank M and similar eval. Of their characteristics. It may be damning with faint praise but I think they are equivalent to the Nitto 555's (17") I replaced.

Sean
    MK 3.5 roadster (MK IV body retrofit to MK III chassis) 396W stroker, 4 bbl mass air EFI, QH (self-tuned), AFR 195CC Renegade, XE274HR, GP 4-1-4 SS headers, 3link, 3.73, 15" Halibrand replicas, SAI mod, bumpers, 2 X roll bars, IČ electronics, PS, hydroboosted brakes: 95 GT front, custom MK VIII calipers/Cobra discs rear, FFR front, Levy rear LCA's, Forte front, VPM rear bars, CF dash, mod comp layout w/Auto Meter Ultra-Lites, Lucas tri-bar headlights, coupe taillights, painted by SRP (again!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Running the same MT's on mine and like them for the driving I do.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    ...I was thinking about getting some Cooper Cobras but it looks like they stopped making them?...
    Don't know where you got that info Dave. Discount Tire Direct has them in stock; (2) 245/60-15 and (2) 295/50-15 Cooper Cobra Radial GTs will run $611.25 shipped to Corona Del Mar.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/home.do?

Note that Direct has a completely different price structure and availability than the Discount Tire retail stores.

Good luck!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed with Jeff, Coopers are still being made. At least as of February when I bought mine. Installed and balanced for under $500(with a $75 discount at the time...) which I thought was a great deal for street tires. I don't think the rears are going to last all that long on my car, but under normal driving conditions they should be better than BFG's and for the price can't be beat.

-TJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Steve,

PM sent.

Jeff, I wasn't sure, so that's why I ended with a question mark. They aren't available via American Tire of Tire rack websites; that's why I was wondering if they are still made...

This is good reference material guys, thanks! Any other tires out there available for 15" rims?

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered

Post Thanks / Like
    Billboards e
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KDubU View Post
    Billboards e
    I've actually considered that; certainly noting looks better! With manual steering though I'm not really prepared to deal with the hunting issues and rock throwing for cruising PCH or driving on the freeway...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Don't know where you got that info Dave. Discount Tire Direct has them in stock; (2) 245/60-15 and (2) 295/50-15 Cooper Cobra Radial GTs will run $611.25 shipped to Corona Del Mar.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/home.do?

Note that Direct has a completely different price structure and availability than the Discount Tire retail stores.

Good luck!

Jeff
    I see; I think I might have been looking at the retail store site. I don't see them there(retail).

Does anyone have experience with both the Mickey Thompson's and Cooper Cobras?

Lastly, can anyone elaborate on the Hoosiers? Are they streetable, or will they be throwing rocks? Bias Ply?

Post Thanks / Like
    I've had the BFGs on both builds (currently with the exact sizes you mentioned). For street use, I have found they do not deserve the "bad" reputation they have here.
    SOLD 03/2013: MK II #5004: 5.0 EFI: 8.8, 3.55, E303, TW heads, GT40 intake, 24#, 70mm MAF

Ordered MK IV Coyote Complete Kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleG View Post
    I've had the BFGs on both builds (currently with the exact sizes you mentioned). For street use, I have found they do not deserve the "bad" reputation they have here.
    Thanks Dale, I appreciate the input. They are expensive though, ~$50/tire more for the rears...

I'm thinking no go on the Hoosiers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Hi guys, back to the top;

Do you see any issue with BFGoodrich 295's on my MKIII? I have Goodyear GTII's now and don't rub...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    And this is why along with the desire for IRS is why I'm going with 17"s on the 289 usrrc. Kit I'm taking delivery next month. A set of Riken Raptors (reviewed well by some local restomod owners) 245/45/17frt 275/40/17 rr. $360 delivered.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckster View Post
    And this is why along with the desire for IRS is why I'm going with 17"s on the 289 usrrc. Kit I'm taking delivery next month. A set of Riken Raptors (reviewed well by some local restomod owners) 245/45/17frt 275/40/17 rr. $360 delivered.
    Actually, Searching Discount Tire Direct for MY pin-drive IRS setup I found there are 6 choices for NEW 15" street tires right now, especially if you go 275 on the rear instead of the super fat 295's:

BFGoodrich Radial TA
    Mickey Thompson ET Street S/S
    Cooper Cobra Radial GT
    Nitto NT555 NT555R Drag Radial
    Nankang Tire SP-7
    Hankook Ventus H101
    EDIT: added (thanks CraigS!)
    26x10 front and 26x12 rear
    Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/R

For track use you can add Avon, Goodyear and Hoosier.

Based on feedback from users, I'm honing in on the Radial TA over the Cobras, which are both available in the fat 295 style I like.

Post Thanks / Like
    Do the Radial T/A perform better than Billboards?
    I have the Goodyears and I want to sell them because they pull me around too much. Will radials solve the problem?
    Finally started my build the beginning July. 2015!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckster View Post
    And this is why along with the desire for IRS is why I'm going with 17"s on the 289 usrrc. Kit I'm taking delivery next month...
    I don't think it's quite as bad as you're making out. If you want an inexpensive 15" cruising tire, Cooper or Mickey Thompson can be had for low dollars. If you don't mind paying more for a higher end performance tire, Avons are available in 15", If you can afford to turn a blind eye to DOT regulations, it's hard to beat the look of Goodyear's 15" billboards. Some compromises involved in those choices for certain, however, I wouldn't feel entirely secure in choosing a 17" tire, for many of the same reasons 15" pickings have become slimmer. Modern performance tires start at around 18" and go up from there. 17's may be available now but what will drive demand for them now that they have begun to slide into a weaker market segment compared to the more plentiful modern performance tires? At least 15's have some base level of demand in the vintage car market. Where will demand for 17's be in a few years?

Sean
    MK 3.5 roadster (MK IV body retrofit to MK III chassis) 396W stroker, 4 bbl mass air EFI, QH (self-tuned), AFR 195CC Renegade, XE274HR, GP 4-1-4 SS headers, 3link, 3.73, 15" Halibrand replicas, SAI mod, bumpers, 2 X roll bars, IČ electronics, PS, hydroboosted brakes: 95 GT front, custom MK VIII calipers/Cobra discs rear, FFR front, Levy rear LCA's, Forte front, VPM rear bars, CF dash, mod comp layout w/Auto Meter Ultra-Lites, Lucas tri-bar headlights, coupe taillights, painted by SRP (again!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chopthebass View Post
    Do the Radial T/A perform better than Billboards?
    I have the Goodyears and I want to sell them because they pull me around too much. Will radials solve the problem?
    All the feedback I hear is yes, for street use the radials will not "hunt" like the billboards do with the same alignment. And they don't throw stones like the billboards do. On an autocross or road course I'd probably run set of avons (if I could afford them).

Additionally, based on one knowledgeable guy I know, who's undoubtedly run on EVERYTHING, the TA's are notably better than the Coopers.

Post Thanks / Like
    David, Thanks for starting this thread! I am having the same issue deciding on which 15's to go with. I had the GY Billboards on my first cobra and there is no doubt they are def the best looking tire! And they give you the best hole shot. But aside from those two things they were horrible to drive around in. Wish GY made a radial with those nice FAT white letters:-)
    What about the MT S/R's??? They are a little stickier and have a higher speed rating. The front and rear sizes available are just slightly different and I'm not sure if this would make much of a difference. And I don't believe they come with white letters either but they would be better performance. Not as good as the Avon's but a lot less $.
    Here is the link:
    http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/street/sportsman-sr
    26x10x15
    26x12x15

Don

Post Thanks / Like
    Consider these also 26x10 front and 26x12 rear
    http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/street/sportsman-sr/
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    My buddy has the Mickey Thompson SR radials on his car (non FFR Cobra) and loves them, excellent grip. I steered away from them however because of the oddball sizes (to me anyway). Compared to my current 235-60-15, 295-50-15 setup the 26 x 10.0 fronts are too wide and will stick way out while the 26 x 8.0 are too narrow. For comparison the 26 x 10.0 SRs have a 10.3 section width and 8.8 tread width vs 9.2 section and 7.6 tread for the 235 x 60 x 15. When you're already at the edge of the wheel opening and beyond by a little, another 1/2 inch starts looking a bit goofy not to mention the tire rub issue. If your car can digest those SR sizes go for it.
    T/A radials?? If they would only soften the compound a bit they could be the answer.
    Frank
    FFR 4440 - V8, Manual Trans, Htr, WSW, IRS. I wouldn't change a thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Update:

I ordered the BF Goodrich T/A's last night. Today I got an email telling me there was an "issue" with my transaction. Turns out all 295's are out of stock but - importantly - they are starting a new batch of 800 that will be available in 8 weeks time.

So you will soon be able to get FRESH 295's. I told them to put mine on back order and to go ahead and ship the fronts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Craig,
    Do you have these on your car? I would love input from someone that has them. All the other tires, coopers, BFG's have a low rating and I have 575HP's that need a better tire.
    Thanks!
    Don

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    brrgy you bring up a good point. I'm pulling maybe 360 at the crank and my street needs are probably different from your based on that alone. It's nice to see a track/radial/street performance tire in this category with the MT's.

Post Thanks / Like
    So getting technical and comparing tire sizes and speed ratings of the bfg t/a's vs the mickey Thompson s/r's:

BFG 245/60/15 MT S/R 26x10
    height...26.57" height...26.1 .5" difference which means 1/4" lower with MT's
    tire width...9.8" width...10.3 .5" difference which means 1/4" inside and 1/4" out

BFG 295/50/15 MT s/r 26x12
    height...26.61" height...26.1 .5" difference same as fronts
    width...11.61 width...12 .4" width...a little less than 1/4" inside and out.

BFG speed rating 112mph........MT speed rating 130MPH!

wow...not much difference...not concerned about the car sitting 1/4" lower to ground. but 1/4" fatter inside or out could make a difference in rubbing or not rubbing????
    The MT's are still in the running:-) would love to get input and possibly pics of these on a cobra if anyone knows of any....
    Thanks for everyone's input!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DaleG View Post
    I had BFG Radial T/A's on my 525hp Superformance with a side-oiler.

I never raced, but got on it from time to time with no issues at all.

But the tires were absolutely fine for the street on an overpowered beast.

I'd do them again without hesitation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by brrgy View Post
    So getting technical and comparing tire sizes and speed ratings of the bfg t/a's vs the mickey Thompson s/r's:

BFG 245/60/15 MT S/R 26x10
    height...26.57" height...26.1 .5" difference which means 1/4" lower with MT's
    tire width...9.8" width...10.3 .5" difference which means 1/4" inside and 1/4" out

BFG 295/50/15 MT s/r 26x12
    height...26.61" height...26.1 .5" difference same as fronts
    width...11.61 width...12 .4" width...a little less than 1/4" inside and out.

BFG speed rating 112mph........MT speed rating 130MPH!

wow...not much difference...not concerned about the car sitting 1/4" lower to ground. but 1/4" fatter inside or out could make a difference in rubbing or not rubbing????
    The MT's are still in the running:-) would love to get input and possibly pics of these on a cobra if anyone knows of any....
    Thanks for everyone's input!
    That speed rating is on a 3600lb car, not a 2400lb one...

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the input!
    Good point on the weight also!
    I wonder how much the weight changes the speed rating?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    brrgy to be apples to apples, I'm running 235's on a MKIII. I'm sticking out of the passenger front anyway so yeah, 1/4" is a lot, even more @ 245 instead of 235(9.25" vs 10.3" now we're >.5" in and out).

In the back my 295s rub near the limits of travel. They used to rub a ton but I was running the wrong shocks (16" vs 18" for pin drive).

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok...so the MT s/r's have been scratched off the list.
    Last question...availability of 245/60/15's was asked above...will the 245's be ok or stick with 235's?

Post Thanks / Like
    ...will the 245's be ok or stick with 235's?
    If you're dealing with a Mk4 stick with 235 (doubly true if you are using '96 and later spindles) because of the tighter wheel openings---even then you need to be sure to trim back the excessive returns.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    brrgy to be apples to apples, I'm running 235's on a MKIII. I'm sticking out of the passenger front anyway so yeah, 1/4" is a lot, even more @ 245 instead of 235(9.25" vs 10.3" now we're >.5" in and out).

In the back my 295s rub near the limits of travel. They used to rub a ton but I was running the wrong shocks (16" vs 18" for pin drive).

David I am curious what width and back space your front wheels are. Why 235s, pretty much the narrowest tire anyone runs, stick out so far.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Craig,

I run a ton of camber to tuck my passenger wheel under the lip with my pin-drive Trigo wheels:

So much so that after rotating side-to-side the fronts are both showing cord in the inside edge @ 12000 miles. I'll post pics with a more "standard" alignment once the the new shoes are in place.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Craig,
    Do you have these on your car? I would love input from someone that has them. All the other tires, coopers, BFG's have a low rating and I have 575HP's that need a better tire.
    Thanks!
    Don
    No I do not. Back maybe 3-4 years ago there were several posters who had them and were very happy so I just remember that. Also, I do have the MT Street Comps on the rear of my car now. They are 'somewhat' better than Sumis and that is all I can say. So I tend to stay away from the more street oriented MTs.

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, I wasn't aware of your pin drive and trigos set up. I know the MkIVs actually have a tighter fender clearance than the older cars (WTH FFR?) but since yours is not a MkIV I was surprised you have fender clearance problems.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast