FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Dead Pedal Aluminum Panel

Post Thanks / Like

Dead Pedal Aluminum Panel

I am back working panels as I wait on other parts. This morning, I was fitting the 'Dead Pedal' panel with the panel immediately outboard. On pages 168-169 in the manual, there is not any opening at floor level where these panels meet. As you see in the attachment, there is a large gap that will allow the front area forward of the firewall to have direct flow of air into the cockpit. Maybe I am missing a step later in the build which now 'plus' this hole? Or are the panels (they do not have part numbers on them) mismade or for a different model?

Dead Pedal.jpg
    ~ Mark

818C S/N 429ES: Start Date 1 September 2016
    2001 NB Miata LS3 V8 440 rwhp
    2004 Miata MazdaSpeed Factory Turbo

Post Thanks / Like
    You have the correct pieces. After you run the coolant lines, and other lines, through the dead pedal, you'll cover that opening with this piece. It looks like the number is 80604 in this photo and you'll want to tuck in the ends before riveting, of course.

dead pedal cover 75.jpg
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by AZPete View Post
    You have the correct pieces. After you run the coolant lines, and other lines, through the dead pedal, you'll cover that opening with this piece. It looks like the number is 80604 in this photo and you'll want to tuck in the ends before riveting, of course.

dead pedal cover 75.jpg
    Thanks! I will look for that piece. I just missed it evidently.

Later:

Found those two panels as you predicted. I guess the car was updated and the manual was not in some places.
    Last edited by fastzrex; 06-06-2017 at 05:49 PM.
    ~ Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Boy I'm glad I wasn't the only one that got stumped on this one...hopefully you didn't spend too much brain power trying to unravel the mystery like I did. I must have spent have a day and two calls to FFR trying to figure it out. The pic AZPete sent is correct; although you may have to do some small cutting and "coaxing" to get them all to line up...

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for your reply. I did spend about three hours researching and waiting on FFR to respond before posting. I was thinking about fabricating closeouts (trying to prepare panels for paint in preparation of install when 'help' arrives) when I checked the forum and again AZPete helps out. After reading a little more I see that the radiator tubes are '2nd gen' and are bent instead of straight as in the first rendition. The manual just has not caught up yet! I have one fitted and drilled after a little 'coaxing'; starting work on the other side.
    ~ Mark