Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: How Far can I go with my build without an engine?

Post Thanks / Like

How Far can I go with my build without an engine?

I am going to be starting my build in the next few weeks but I don't have an engine/transmission picked out yet. How far can I go in the build before I need the engine/transmission? Looking through the manual I am thinking I can go through the chassis build up: front and rear suspension, Pedal box, aluminum panels, steering column and rack, and brake lines. How much farther can I go? Main reason for waiting on the engine is: 1. room in my garage (I would like to make some progress on clearing out boxes before taking on the engine) 2. Money (wife didn't complain when I bought the kit, I don't want to push my luck for a while)

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    As long as you stay with a standard engine trans setup probably not a problem.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Agree with 1932, as long as you're going with an engine & trans supported by FFR you should be able to get a lot done before needing the engine. However, since you haven't decided on a power train yet you should not purchase a driveshaft with your kit. You will need to decide on a rear end type before ordering and if going with a solid axle, you'll also need to choose between three-link and four-link.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. I am buying a used kit that is already coming with the rear end. It will most likely be a SBC build so pretty standard there. Just trying to figure out how far I will be able to go before I have to have the engine.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    SBC is a great choice and easily fits.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm glad you asked this. I was curious also. I'll be using a coyote and 6r80. The coyote is supported but that auto isn't. I intend to get all the chassis and body work done but I won't install floors yet till I make sure I don't need to mod the frame. I figure I can out the body on, get all my canes done, get everything fitting and working right, get it primed and wet sanded and then take it off once I get the motor (hopefully next summer ish). Maybe even get the chassis wired and even interior wired, top fit, doors and windows wired and working, inside ac stuff plumbed and working.

Spending on how involved your build is, there is tons you can do before you need the drivetrain.
    '33 Hot Rod
    Ordered: 3/25/17. Delivered: 5/6/17. 1st start: 8/24/18

MK4 Roadster
    Ordered: 7/10/13. Delivered: 8/20/13. Completed: 10/26/15.
    I did everything except spray it. She ain't perfect, but she's mine.

Ol Skool
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am a proponent of waiting as long as possible in the build before putting the engine in. I don't like fresh engines sitting around collecting dust, literally, fiberglass everywhere, no coolant protecting the block and keeping the pump seal lubricated, etc. That said, its very difficult to get driveline centerline, exhaust, and clutch setup without the engine and tranny. For the exhaust and tunnel you kind of need them unless your building a very standard SBC/SBF and clutch cable T5 set up. I don't think PAYR has made a mock Coyote long block yet. I like to have a spare block and heads for mock up. This is easy with a 302 ford and inexpensive. If your doing a build in 3 months it doesn't matter, but, if you know it will take a year its probably best to hold off on the engine. It will give you time to find a good deal on one also.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks that is my thought on the engine as well, I don't want a perfectly good engine just sitting around for a year or more. As much as I would love a 3 month build my guess is at least 2 years. I have 3 kids under 6, and I work a lot of hours. This things will be put together after 9pm, and before 6 am. I think based on what you are saying, I am just going to plan to keep working on things until I get to a point where it looks like I am running out of things to do without engine. That may take 6 months or a year. Plus my father in law found me an engine within 30 minutes of telling him about the project, so I may come up with an engine by accident which is kind of how I found the kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not proposing you do this but companies like Superformance, Backdraft and even ERA completely finish the car MINUS engine and transmission. The difference is they've done hundreds and know where everything is supposed to go. Point is, you can get pretty deep into a build before actually needing the engine and transmission. In many cases builders start looking to install the engine when they hit an ugly part they'd rather put off until way later. Like the wiring for instance.
    Frank

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    If the engineering on the 33 Hot Rod is anything near what it is on the MK-4 and you don't go off of the reservation by installing an unsupported engine and transmission combination, then I think you are safe to complete the entire chassis prior to installing your drive-train.

That's what we did at Camp Go-Dad-Go.

https://youtu.be/3f1Q4aS5SG4

Plan Your Build & Build Your Plan!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NAZ View Post
    However, since you haven't decided on a power train yet you should not purchase a driveshaft with your kit. .
    I knew that my Hemi 47RH combo would need a custom length shaft so I ordered the kit with the longest shaft FF had then I had it cut to length
    locally once all the variables were locked in. That worked out well for me.
    Dale