BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Well, I just started my new roadster

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I just started my new roadster

My name is Kyle L. and have been lurking a bit while waiting for my new kit. It came last sunday and i started it on the 5th. I signed up for the class but couldn't get it before July the 14th, so it looks like I'll be a ways into the build when I take the class. The book is so simple....so far.... Its going to have a 630 hp LS7 and a tremec Magnum tranny in it. Both are on order. Color will be charcoal with volcano orange double stripe down the middle, and maybe a couple of 4.5" fender stripes from the hood down behind the front two wheels. I'll have to see some samples first though.

Here's a little history, I've been a carpenter/contractor the past 35+ years. I just built my own home inside of a giant shop, where the car is sitting now. Oh yeah, I live about 30 miles from austin Tx. Any and all help is appreciated, so be prepared for some stupid Q's. I know there are no stupid questions, but ya'll never met me.. HA! Any thoughts on the setup are welcomed. Thanks and stay between the lines...Kyle aka Kcon

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome Kyle! 30'miles in which direction? There are quite a few in Texas - I'm down in San Antonio with a '33. That LS7 sounds fun
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome Kyle,

No, there are no stupid questions on there, lots of good help.
    Baghdad Bob

Complete Kit Delivered July 2010, serial @ 7287, Whitby Power Brakes, Whitby Tonneau, Power Steering w HEIDTS PS Valve, Hydralic clutch, 15" Wheels, BFG Tires, 331 stroker w Quick Fuel 650, RPM Heads, Air Gap Intake. IRS w 3.27, TKO-600. FFMETAL Firewall Forward, FFMETAL Dropped Battery Box in Trunk, Enlarged Passenger footbox, Breeze Cubby storage, Breeze Seat Brackets, Herbs Door Panels. Ford ruby red 12 coats.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like a beautiful color scheme! Enjoy yourself.

I'm shocked a post with mention of an LS motor has been up for 8 hours without GoDad chiming in. He will be extremely pleased to see this!
    Fire away with any questions. Great help to be found here.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome Kyle from another Kyle. You're in for fun times.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    I'm shocked a post with mention of an LS motor has been up for 8 hours without GoDad chiming in.
    He's slacking for sure; hope he's not sick!

Welcome Kyle. I look forward to you giving me a run for my money in the stupid questions category!

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    Sounds like a beautiful color scheme! Enjoy yourself.

I'm shocked a post with mention of an LS motor has been up for 8 hours without GoDad chiming in. He will be extremely pleased to see this!
    Fire away with any questions. Great help to be found here.
    HA! I agree, where is GoDad to offer motivation... Welcome aboard Kyle! There are a few(several?) of us on the forums that decided to buck the trend of Ford powerplants and go with more personal choices. GoDad is using a GM Gen-I smallblock(350 I believe...) and I'm putting in a Gen-IV LS3 T56Magnum combo. Did you go LS7 for the 427 size or some other reason? After my build is complete, I'll be building a 427 LS2 block I have sitting around since my LS3 will go into a next project(50's Willys Pickup).

Did you get your stuff from GMPP with the stand-alone harness? That's the route I went and it's working out pretty well. I've dieted and changed the harness a bit, along with dieting and integrating the Ron Francis chassis harness. All said and done, I probably could have saved time and money by building my own chassis harness into the GMPP one since it already includes a little used fuse box. Lesson learned....

Hopefully you've done your homework because you WILL run into some additional challenges with going LS. Most notably will be very limited options for a couple major components.
    1) Engine mounts: you can go with generic LS conversion mounts that are good but definitely look like generic conversion mounts(lots of unused holes), a few mustang to LS mounts exist, or go custom built. I started with mustang conversion mounts but recently removed them and custom fabricated my own.

2) Cooling: not difficult, but you'll need a custom radiator made to accommodate the Roadster size but with in/outlets on the same side and provisions for the steam port on LS motors. I'm having one custom made but looking at ~$500 as opposed to a relatively cheap FFR alternative. Mine will be double row/crossflow though and meant to handle 600hp and lots of track time.

3) Exhaust: this is the killer item... Easy route is reversed manifolds and custom j-pipes. I wanted 4 into 4 headers which really only left me two options. Pay either a local shop or a well-known shop like Stainless Headers to make a custom set($$$$$$), or buy a set of flanges and j-pipe bends and do it myself. I just received my 1/2" thick 1-7/8" port flanges and Schoenfeld j-bends yesterday and will be hitting the band saw and welder this afternoon.

Long story short, I am a HUGE fan of the LS platform and love your choice of motors. Just be ready to be very creative and have access to unique tools and/or friends to help since you won't get a ton of support from FFR on non-Ford items. This is no fault of FFR, they built everything to handle Ford powerplants, and seem to have a VERY good rapport and relationship with Big Blue.

Good luck with the build and feel free to reach out for details on anything LS/Roadster related. FFR makes a great platform to customize and go-your-own-way and hopefully a few of the forum members can offer ideas that work well, kinda work, or don't work at all.

-TJ
    Last edited by Mountain-Metalworks; 06-07-2017 at 12:56 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm about to start an LS build roadster as well. I just got a call from Stewart to expect my roadster next Wednesday. I'm in Spicewood, Texas, right outside of Austin.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepurz View Post
    HA! I agree, where is GoDad to offer motivation... -TJ
    Welcome & Congratulations On Joining The Only Family That Allows Everybody To Be 17 Years Old Once Again!

Heck Yeah I Love Almost Anything With A Bowtie On It Or In It, Except When I Walk A Little Too Far Down Bourbon Street After Work To Hoist A Few, But That's Another Story!

While those fellows are nice guys, I prefer hanging with my lovely wife.

Have A Great Build!

Congratulations From The Big Easy, New Orleans Louisiana!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 06-07-2017 at 01:52 PM.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jcrumpley View Post
    I'm about to start an LS build roadster as well. I just got a call from Stewart to expect my roadster next Wednesday. I'm in Spicewood, Texas, right outside of Austin.
    JCRUMPLEY,

Welcome to the family as well.

Also, if you scoot that LS up enough, you may be able to use Shoenfeld IMCA Adjustable Headers.

http://www.schoenfeldheaders.com/imcaump-modified3.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys, I spend most of my time in Spicewood, where I recently finished my home/shop. Jcrumpley, we're gonna have to hook up and compare projects. Jeepers, I thought about all the big stuff like headers, the T56 mag., and the mounts. I have a well equipped shop so I can fab up just about anything. I didn't know about the radiator though. I figured it would run hot so I planned on an oil cooler, but I guess a new radiator is in my future. What did you use, or go off of? Like the dimensions or shape? Oh, and yes, I went with the LS7 427 630-650hp from texas speed and performance who just happens to be nearby in Georgetown. They had good reviews on CorvetteForums, and those guys seem to know their LS's. I plan to run my car on the track a bit and the 7 is a little stouter with the shorter piston and all. At least, that's what I have been told, and read. It's supposed to hold up a little better on the track. I'm not a Race car driver, (or a mechanic) but I've been to the local track and just love it. When I finish this car I plan to go a lot. This car looks like it will be a heck of a good time!!! Same with the forum, thanks again everybody.....Kyle

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KDubU View Post
    Welcome Kyle from another Kyle. You're in for fun times.
    THREE Kyles! Geez... Welcome.

-Kyle

Post Thanks / Like
    Kyle, I have a Coupe on the same trailer as JCrumpley's, I believe, and I'll be seeing you at the July build school! Glad there will be another Texan there to help translate what the Northerners will try to teach us . Your build sounds very cool. Congrats and Enjoy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Kyle,

My car will be a Corvette LS1 with an ASA cam that I have on my engine stand in my shop right now. I am doing a 3.31 iron IRS and a TKO600. That about as far as I've planned. I'm a corvette guy and have a ls swapped 92 GMC. I mess around tuning with HP Tuners with LS motors thus the choice of going LS instead of ford. I'm just off Bee Creek in Siesta Shores. Their is another guy with a ffr Cobra in Spicewood who did a really nice build. He is Bobl on the forums.

Jeff
    Last edited by jcrumpley; 06-07-2017 at 07:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow another FFR in Spicewood. That's really amazing if you look at the size of this community(it's not even a city).

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jcrumpley View Post
    Kyle,

My car will be a Corvette LS1 with an ASA cam that I have on my engine stand in my shop right now. I am doing a 3.31 iron IRS and a TKO600. That about as far as I've planned. I'm a corvette guy and have a ls swapped 92 GMC. I mess around tuning with HP Tuners with LS motors thus the choice of going LS instead of ford. I'm just off Bee Creek in Siesta Shores. Their is another guy with a ffr Cobra in Spicewood who did a really nice build. He is Bobl on the forums.

Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by bobl View Post
    Wow another FFR in Spicewood. That's really amazing if you look at the size of this community(it's not even a city).
    That makes three of us on the same truck! I should get my roadster a couple of days after the Texas deliveries.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Kyle, i got the last spot in the July 14th build school session. I look forward to meeting you. Im planning on ordering my kit after the class. My wife has relatives near Austin, Dallas, and Houston and we often visit relatives at Lake Conroe...I'm from CA.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome, Kyle. We have quite a few folks in the Austin area. I am sending you a PM. I hope you can join us at one of our events.
    Steve
    Texas Cobra Club-Austin
    July 2009 FFCars Picture of the Month
    FFR3542K, 347 C.I., EFI, T-5, 3-Link, Miata Front Sway Bar, Red with White Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! Lots of Austin/Spicewood guys here, that's freakin awesome! Seagull, I will be joining the club for sure, thanks for the invite. I knew this would be a close-knit bunch.
    jcrumpley, I'm driving a '99 c5 convertible right now (and a big Silverado). And I've always been a chevy man so the LS was a no brainer for me. Plus I want my Cobra to be different. Do you know Leslie L. in Siesta shores? He's my business partner and ex brother in law. I'm over there every now and then.
    Lancelot and vspeeds, I will see y'all at the class. I have the front suspension on and moving along so i'll (maybe) be halfway done by school time.(I'm probably overoptimistic) No problem though, I'm going regardless. I can come back and put it together right, ha. Actually, I am very impressed at how detailed and easy the instructions are....so far. Later, Kyle#3

Question on the Willwood brakes, don't I have to safety wire them? Never done it. Do they sell those pliers at any auto shop?

Post Thanks / Like
    Kyle,

Yep, I know Leslie. It's a real small neighborhood here. My daily driver is a C6 convertible.

Jeff
    Last edited by jcrumpley; 06-09-2017 at 08:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    I figured you did because he knows everybody in that little neighborhood. Nice vette, I just love the convertible. I recently put a Procharger on mine, and have some new street legal racing tires on the way, to take to the track.

Anybody know an excellent painter in Austin for my Cobra? I have a couple good references but they also run a collision shop for their main money. Because of that, I've been told it could take 6 months. I'd like to find somebody that specializes in customs, or is just a prompt painter. I wanna see way down into that paint

Post Thanks / Like
    Kyle,
    There is an old saying on the forum, "no pictures it didn't happen".
    MKIV #9122 Ordered kit 5/24/17 received kit 8/11/17 MK4 Base kit +,First Start 4/7/18, First Go-Cart 4/22/18, In gelcoat, licensed and driving 8/11/18. Coyote gen2, T-56, 2015 IRS 3.31, 17" Halibrand replicas w/Nitto NT555 G2, Withby Motorcars power brake kit W/Wilwood pedals, 04 Cobra front brakes, 15 Mustang rear brakes with mods, power steering. Paint Jeff Miller Da Bat, Lexus Spectra Blue Mica W/Toyota Silver Sky Metallic strips. Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...Paul2STL-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Kyle, hit up bobl (above post). He has a guy that did his recently.
    Steve
    Texas Cobra Club-Austin
    July 2009 FFCars Picture of the Month
    FFR3542K, 347 C.I., EFI, T-5, 3-Link, Miata Front Sway Bar, Red with White Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    Good Luck with New build . I've a question , now that you are just starting out , Is there any way to put roll bar in **** pit ? As original , and the way Superformance builds their's . Anyone can answer !
    Thanks , Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Paul, I agree. As soon as the new wheels and tires get here and onto my car i will post some pics of it. Back to work! Willwood brakes are going on now....Kyle

Post Thanks / Like
    Kcon, Lancelot, and Vspeeds see you at the July Build School. Planning on ordering the kit towards the end of the year. It will be an LS also

Post Thanks / Like
    Way to go Mosh, when I was in the planning stages I thought I was going to be all alone with my LS engine. Turns out, I have lots of company......Kyle

Post Thanks / Like
    Is there any way to keep the roll bar in cockpit , the interior behind the seat , in a FF roadster ?
    Thanks , Bob

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 35olds View Post
    Is there any way to keep the roll bar in cockpit , the interior behind the seat , in a FF roadster ?
    Thanks , Bob
    Yes. You just cut the top of the rear cockpit aluminum at the top of the 2x2 frame tube. Move that piece back 6-10 inches and make two side pieces. This will leave a 3/4x3/4 tube across the opening. You can remove it maybe but I kept mine. It is fine for shoving in a few coats and hats or gloves. just no solid objects.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.