FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Battery

Post Thanks / Like

Battery

What battery are you guys using? I saw on some build that the Optima Batteries 8071-167 D51 is the choice.... Any other model of the optima? Or any other brand? For most of my cars I just buy the cheap stuff.... They last 5 years, but i drive 120 miles a day on them..... I will also more then likely put a trickle charger on it, I do this for my motorcycles. Great success there since those dont get fired up very often.

Post Thanks / Like
    The group 51 size is used by many (including me) with the Breeze front mount battery box setup. The OPTIMA 8071-167 D51 Yellowtop is one of several choices. That's the specific size for that box, and the posts are oriented properly. I've used a couple of them and have had good luck. Our driving season here is 6 months at the best. The rest of the time the cars sit in storage and I put a CTEK charger on them occasionally. Some will cite poor or declining quality of the Optima batteries. But so far, so good in my experience.

If you don't need a group 51, or want to pay the extra for the yellowtop deep cycle specifically, there are lots of other choices. Haven't had to buy too many other batteries lately. But I generally just check on-line for what's on sale and has the best warranty and cranking amps for the money in the size I need at one of the local part stores.
    Last edited by edwardb; 06-07-2017 at 01:31 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am running the battery located in the trunk/floor right above the IRS. I found one on amazon, but they said 1-2 months for shipping.... I guess ill go look for something else.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've used ordinary lead acid batteries in the ones I have built. Group 58 for trunk mount and as Paul mentioned group 51 if it's in front. My own got parked after LCS last June and sat untouched in an unheated rental garage until February. When it was finally time to move it cranked right over and fired up on a 30 degree day surprising the heck out of me!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    I just went with a battery from Autozone. Duralast 51 DLG, fits the Breeze box perfectly. Paid $160.
    Mark IV 7923 arrived 11-14-12
    DOHC 4.6L, Tremec 3650, 3 Link 8.8 w/3.73

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm on my second Optima Red Top Grp 34. First one lasted 12 years and cost $84.00 . Price has sure changed since then though but still a good buy IMHO.
    Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 3yearplan View Post
    I just went with a battery from Autozone. Duralast 51 DLG, fits the Breeze box perfectly. Paid $160.
    Same here.
    SOLD 03/2013: MK II #5004: 5.0 EFI: 8.8, 3.55, E303, TW heads, GT40 intake, 24#, 70mm MAF

Ordered MK IV Coyote Complete Kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    The yellow top Optima is too tall for the trunk drop box install. Optima red top series 34. #8002-002 fits.
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    The Optima batteries are a rolled fiberglass matt gel cell. The advantage there is that they do not contain liquid, and are completely sealed. You can mount them in any position and not worry about them leaking. They won't outgas, so safe in the trunk or behind the seat. They're pretty durable, so in a crash they're not likely to leak. The disadvantage is that they're not rated very well, and they have kind of a spotty reliability record. They might last 10 years or only 10 months.

OTOH, Duralast batteries are a standard lead-acid battery, with all of the problems associated with them. But they are probably one of the best rated batteries on the market; they're my #1 replacement choice battery for almost everything. In this part of the country, Autozone stores are almost as common as Walgreens and Starbucks.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I ordered a red top optima... We will see how it goes... If it doesnt last long I will go with just the duralast battery. Autozones are more common then Mcdonalds around here!

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's mine. Mounted on the passenger foot box, hold down not yet installed in the photo.

battery.jpg

MSD box.jpg