Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Possible to Add Trunk-Mounted Battery Box in Completed Car?

Post Thanks / Like

Possible to Add Trunk-Mounted Battery Box in Completed Car?

I currently have an Optima battery mounted on the floor of my trunk and it takes-up quite a bit of storage space. I'd like to add a dropped battery box in the trunk to free-up some valuable storage space. I was planning on having to remove the body following the current driving season to install the dropped battery box.

Is it possible to install a dropped battery box in a completed car?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Doak View Post
    I currently have an Optima battery mounted on the floor of my trunk and it takes-up quite a bit of storage space. I'd like to add a dropped battery box in the trunk to free-up some valuable storage space. I was planning on having to remove the body following the current driving season to install the dropped battery box.

Thanks.
    It should be. You will gave to cut the aluminum. I have the battery box from FFmetal.com. Go to their site and talk to Bill Dane. He will get you all set up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Yes, but why not get the trunk space you want plus a host of additional benefits while you are at it:
    http://www.breezeautomotive.com/details.php?prod_id=518
    www.breezeautomotive.com 2005 FFR Mk3 Roadster, 302/340hp, MassFlo EFI, Breeze Pulleys, T5, Aluminum Flywheel, 3-link rear with Torsen Diff and 3.27:1 gears, Power Steering, Breeze Front Sway Bar, SN-95 Spindles with outboard SAI Mod, Breeze Battery Mount, QA1 Externally Adjustable Shocks, Quick Release Steering Wheel, Vintage Race seats, GM Arctic White, Sky Blue Scoop, Hidden Hinges, Billet Aluminum Side-view Mirrors, 2,183lbs wet. 1967 Mustang Fastback, Dark Moss Green, black interior, '67 14" styled steel wheels, 2000 Explorer 302 w 5.0 Cam, Quickfuel 450 CFM, 289 Hi-Po Dual exhaust, C4, lowering springs w Shelby drop.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Reynolds View Post
    Yes, but why not get the trunk space you want plus a host of additional benefits while you are at it:
    http://www.breezeautomotive.com/details.php?prod_id=518
    Jim - If you have a type 51 battery Mark's front mount battery box is a perfect choice. It mounts between the X member and 4inch round tube. Very easy to install. You would have to run new cables but it sure beats modifying the trunk aluminum just in order to capture some trunk space.

Post Thanks / Like
    Scottiec, my concern is if it's possible to reach and cut the aluminum, as well as install the battery box in a completed car.

Mark, your Web site is blocked here at work but I presume that link you provided is to your engine compartment battery mount.

I'd go that route in a heartbeat, if I could. (I've already looked into it.) However, I don't have the necessary space between the fan and the front of the engine. As you can see from the photo I attached from 2012, there's too much equipment in the way (power steering reservoir, oil cooler thermostat, oil filter, etc.).

Rick, you can also see my dilemma with a front-mounted battery.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jim Doak; 06-07-2017 at 01:44 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Scottiec, my concern is if it's possible to reach and cut the aluminum, as well as install the battery box in a completed car.

Mark, your Web site is blocked here at work but I presume that link you provided is to your front-mounted battery mount.

I'd go that route in a heartbeat, if I could. (I've already looked into it.) However, I don't have the necessary space between the fan and the front of the engine. As you can see from the photo I attached from 2012, there's too much equipment in the way (power steering reservoir, oil cooler thermostat, oil filter, etc.).

Rick, you can also see my dilemma with a front-mounted battery.
    Mercy, you do have a lot going on up there!

Post Thanks / Like
    That's a crowded engine compartment for sure (and a good looking one at that).

Just spit balling here, but would you consider placing the battery on top of the passenger foot box? You might have to get a battery with posts on the front rather than on top, and mount it so the axis of the posts run fore/aft.

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    I did a drop trunk mod on a completed car. I am sure you can do the battery box.

East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I did XS S Series / S545 for my 347 stroker and mounted it right in front of the footbox... you could also install it right on top of the foot box without issue... spins the engine over without issue
    FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the dropped battery box in my Mk4 and it was installed after the diff, gas tank and brake lines were in. Body wasn't on it yet. You need those components in to locate it especially if you have the 2015 IRS. Very tight fit on that. Had to grind back some of the corners of the box. Got it from FFMetals. Worked out great. Remember to put some kind of circuit breaker or fuse close to the battery.
    JRL16
    Mk4 delivered 4/28/16. First start 10/15/16. First gocart 11/10/16. Engine Factory 427W. 750 carb. Tremec TKO600. 2015 IRS. Power steering. Whitby power brakes. Wilwood brakes. 18" wheels. Falken tires. Sway bars front and rear. Forte hydraulic clutch and mechanical throttle linkage. Scott's Hot Rods triple reservoir. Ceramic coated headers. Gas’n sidepipes. Heated seats. Herb Fraser walnut door panels. Wipers. Console.

Post Thanks / Like
    On top of foot box.

MSD box.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I decided I also wanted a drop battery box. My mistake was deciding that after I had the trunk floor in and sealed. With fuel tank removed I was able to work under the floor and install the box. It is not easy and there was a lot of "what was I thinking" going on in my head. Good luck.
    MK4 delivered 2/24/2017. Complete kit #9023,IRS, Power Steering, Leather, heater, 17" wheels, sway bar ft & rr, tremec 600 and Gordon Levy Racing SBF 427. First start and go kart 8/19/2017. Graduated 1/15/2018
    MK4 #9230 complete kit delivered 1/27/2018. IRS, PS, leather, Tremic 600, SBF 427. Graduation 10/15/2018
    MK3 #5253 donor bought unfinished. SBF 331, T5 Trans.

Post Thanks / Like
    The FFRMetal box
    http://www.ffmetal.com/batbox001.html
    drops right in between two 3/4x3/4 tubes so all you have to worry about is the left to right location. Easiest was to cut the aluminum is w/ one of these.
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-Jo...8602/206824272
    It is shown installed under the trunk aluminum but would be fine on top.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    My battery is mounted in front of the engine and that's what I'd recommend. Short cables with little line loss, keeps the weight low, stays cooler, and helps the F/R weight ratio.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue MK3 View Post
    My battery is mounted in front of the engine and that's what I'd recommend. Short cables with little line loss, keeps the weight low, stays cooler, and helps the F/R weight ratio.
    I can't. See post #5.

I ordered an FFMetal battery box yesterday.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't. See post #5.

I ordered an FFMetal battery box yesterday.
    Yeah, I see now how hard it would be for a front mount. Sorry I missed that.