Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: in car intercom

Post Thanks / Like

in car intercom

I was thinking it would be great to have some type of intercom system when driving in the coupe to talk to passenger. It is so loud it'd be nice to get some type of noise cancelling system or sound reducing headphones, has anyone found a good solution for this?
    ***SOLD!!! - NASA ST2 FFR#48 Gen3 Type65 Coupe R, Street legal.***
    ***SOLD!!! - NASA ST2 FFR#48 Challenge Car rolling chassis, Street legal.***
    http://johngeorgeracing.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Check the motorcycle catalogs. There's plenty of options there, both blue tooth and wired.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Check Sporty's Pilot Shop. There are several intercom systems for aircraft -- both portable and built-in systems.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NAZ View Post
    Check Sporty's Pilot Shop. There are several intercom systems for aircraft -- both portable and built-in systems.
    That's what Jack XXX Lawrence used in his coupe

John
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

Post Thanks / Like
    I was under the impression it is illegal to drive a car with a headset/headphones on? Local rules may vary.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    It is, but John is racing.
    The coupe hides it better then a roadster too!

John
    Finished the "My Coupe, my way" project.

http://s956.photobucket.com/albums/ae46/jdcoupe1969/
    Coupe #386,17" Team III 245 FR 315 RR, 3-link, T5, 4 wheel disk, power brakes/steering. Sniper EFI
    First start Sept. 18 2013 First go kart Sept 19 2013

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    According to AAA there are 34 states that have no restrictions on wearing headsets and a handful of others that allow one ear piece. Some of the states that have more draconian laws don't allow it but then they are also known for their more "progressive" approach to limiting other personal freedoms too. In AZ, one of the free states of America, the only limitation on headsets is related to driving a school bus. But here we also license & insure ATVs for highway use even when they all have a placard stating "not for highway use" and none come with DOT legal tires. So before you don the headsets better check your state motor vehicle laws.

Post Thanks / Like
    Keith Tanner from Flyin' Miata and his wife-navigator used a Peltor system for driving the Targa Newfoundland. This was a pretty good test, since it's many days of full-on rally-style racing. Several versions; suggest Googling "peltor intercoms" to see.

Can review footage of that race if wished; Google "Targa Newfoundland Keith Tanner" if interested. Sorry- would offer links but doing this from iPad.

Flying Miata is the place from which FFR sources sway bars for the roadster and coupe.

Post Thanks / Like
    try aviation or motorcycle intercoms.

go to aircraft spruce and search on intercoms

ultralight and light sport aviation models have lots of options.

I have used softcom and avcomm and both would work well in our cars

Regards, Mike
    Coupe 258, picked up Mar 11-06, The Jones build site

Post Thanks / Like
    Meant to be clear: the sound track for the race footage referenced above is all over the Peltor intercom system.

Bill

Post Thanks / Like
    I used a TerraTrip when I was rallying. The one drawback I found was that I had to have a filter in the hot wire going to it to keep the alternator noise under control. I used a full-face helmet, my co-driver had an open-face helmet, and we also had a pair of headsets that we used on transit stages. I still have an intercom and am going to install it in my Coupe along with my TerraTrip rally computer. Perhaps I should consider painting it like CSX2299 at the 1964 Tour de France. Hmm...
    George T

Type 65 Coupe #338, Picked Up 4-Aug-07, Roller on 8-Mar-09, 1st start 8-Sep-13, 1st Autocross 7-Oct-18, finished sanding & sprayed paint myself 6-Nov-21, IRS/LCA/Koni/traditional gages/Kirkey/pin-drive rear width/15" Torq-Thrust Ds/44IDFs/Brodix ST5.0R heads/Eagle internal-balance crankshaft/oil pan by Armando/home-made turkey pan/S-10 mid-shift T5

Post Thanks / Like
    What NAZ said. We used a aviation intercom system when we ran the car in the One Lap of America race. It plugged into a 12v power port and our noise canceling headsets plugged into it. It canceled most of the noise and it was easy to talk to each other and we could plug a iPhone into it for music. Never had any issues with cops. When ever we drove by one they were looking at the car, not us.

JC
    Factory Five Type-65 Coupe:"Race Spec" coupe, Ordered 1/12, picked-up 5/12, roller 5/12, first start 10/12, finished 4/13
    Factory Five Roadster: Sold 12/2011.
    http://www.25tires.com

Post Thanks / Like
    NH is not a state with any restrictions! yay for me.

What aviation intercom system was it? Do you have a vendor/part#s?
    ***SOLD!!! - NASA ST2 FFR#48 Gen3 Type65 Coupe R, Street legal.***
    ***SOLD!!! - NASA ST2 FFR#48 Challenge Car rolling chassis, Street legal.***
    http://johngeorgeracing.com

Post Thanks / Like
    John-

Here is the one I ordered for my Roadster: https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...ort_intrcm.php

What I liked about it over many of the others, is that it is rated to work in high noise environments. They recommend this unit for folks that are operating ultra light aircraft, and other aircraft in high noise environments. It also can be used with a 9 Volt battery, or hard wired into the car's 12 Volt system. Couple this system with active noise reduction headsets, and you should have good quality communication between you and your navigator. It also allows recording, which may be nice in your car when racing. It also allows music and phone use, which may be important to you when not racing.

To be fair, I have not yet operated this in my car, as it is not yet finished. However, I did a great deal of homework before I ordered it. I felt confident that it would work well in the environment we use for our cars. It also comes with a 5 year warranty, and is made by a well known manufacturer,

I am not sure I have helped, but if you need any additional information, please let me know!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    This is what I have:
    https://www.amazon.com/Flightcom-IIS.../dp/B009XD35OI

Anything similar to it would work as well. It will work with any aviation headset that has the two plug style cord (most common).

JC
    Factory Five Type-65 Coupe:"Race Spec" coupe, Ordered 1/12, picked-up 5/12, roller 5/12, first start 10/12, finished 4/13
    Factory Five Roadster: Sold 12/2011.
    http://www.25tires.com