FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Power or Manual Brakes?

Post Thanks / Like

Power or Manual Brakes?

I'm at the early stages of building my MKIV. I opted for the Wilwood front and rear brakes. I wasn't planning on adding power brakes to this set up, but from what I've gathered, it would be a nightmare at least, if not nearly impossible, to upgrade to power brakes on a finished car. What route did you guys with Wilwood brakes go? And, if you did go with power brakes, what system did you use?

Thanks,

Travis

Post Thanks / Like
    With Wilwood set up most people stay manual, those calipers have plenty of grab without an assist. Most used power brakes when using stock Mustang Calipers. I plan on using 04 Mustang Cobra brakes up front and 15 Mustang IRS brakes in rear.
    MKIV #9122 Ordered kit 5/24/17 received kit 8/11/17 MK4 Base kit +,First Start 4/7/18, First Go-Cart 4/22/18, In gelcoat, licensed and driving 8/11/18. Coyote gen2, T-56, 2015 IRS 3.31, 17" Halibrand replicas w/Nitto NT555 G2, Withby Motorcars power brake kit W/Wilwood pedals, 04 Cobra front brakes, 15 Mustang rear brakes with mods, power steering. Paint Jeff Miller Da Bat, Lexus Spectra Blue Mica W/Toyota Silver Sky Metallic strips. Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...Paul2STL-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm using the manual brakes with the standard Wilwood set up, twin piston up front and the old IRS out back. I wasn't totally pleased until I switched to the Hawk pads, which made a big difference. 15,000 miles in, they work fine.

John
    FFR #7388 - Mk 4 Complete Kit w/ IRS, Ordered 10/21/10, Delivered 12/8/10. 302 with FiTech and Under Car Exhaust, Heat & A/C, Rod Top. Hard top and shop built side curtains added 2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi John, What version of the Hawk pads are you using and how is your car being driven (street/track)?
    Mk4 Roadster, Picked up complete kit 8/22/14. Most FFR options except Wilwood brakes and IRS. First start 11/11/14. Go-kart 3/8/15. 347 Stroker, TKO 500, 3-link/3.27 rear. PA street legal 7/29/15.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JIMOCO View Post
    Hi John, What version of the Hawk pads are you using and how is your car being driven (street/track)?
    Mine is a pure street car, so I'm using the HPS pads, which I ordered thru Mike Forte. I'd call him to ensure you get the correct pads, took me a couple of tries to get the right ones as I didn't specify that I had vented roters on the rears.

John
    FFR #7388 - Mk 4 Complete Kit w/ IRS, Ordered 10/21/10, Delivered 12/8/10. 302 with FiTech and Under Car Exhaust, Heat & A/C, Rod Top. Hard top and shop built side curtains added 2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    When I purchased my Wilwood kit from Gordon, he told me to stay away from the power boosters. The wilwood calipers are so good, that adding the booster makes them like an on-off switch. They become very difficult to modulate. Manual Wilwoods are so good, that I could out brake almost any car on the track.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the wilwoods front and rear with manual brakes. Car stops very nicely. Really the only difference is this is the first car I have ever driven with manual brakes so the pedal feel and required force took a little getting used to. I'm approaching 500 miles on my build and have become quite comfortable with them. Up until now at least I haven't ever wished I had power brakes.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by John4337 View Post
    I'm using the manual brakes with the standard Wilwood set up, twin piston up front and the old IRS out back. I wasn't totally pleased until I switched to the Hawk pads, which made a big difference. 15,000 miles in, they work fine.

John
    Agree on the pad switch big improvement in stopping. Do street & Auto=X with the HPS+. A bit dirtier than the HPS but the seem to stop quicker.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks all, I have dealt with Mike Forte in the past and will call him when I am ready to make the switch.
    Mk4 Roadster, Picked up complete kit 8/22/14. Most FFR options except Wilwood brakes and IRS. First start 11/11/14. Go-kart 3/8/15. 347 Stroker, TKO 500, 3-link/3.27 rear. PA street legal 7/29/15.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wareaglescott View Post
    I have the wilwoods front and rear with manual brakes. Car stops very nicely. Really the only difference is this is the first car I have ever driven with manual brakes so the pedal feel and required force took a little getting used to. I'm approaching 500 miles on my build and have become quite comfortable with them. Up until now at least I haven't ever wished I had power brakes.
    Thanks Scott. Everyone needs to follow this dude on Instagram (@scottscobra). He takes some great pictures and he one bad a** Roadster.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the up-graded Wilwood front 6 piston and rear 2 piston. Mine came with .75" diameter masters for front and rear which I switched out for .70" diameters and reduced pedal effort about 10% without any noticeable pedal movement change when stopping. Like wareaglescott said, once you get used to the extra pedal effort, they work very good. Dialing in the balance bar makes a lot of difference in stopping distance and pedal effort.
    King
    Roadster #8127, ordered 7/12/13, received 9/11/13
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...4-Coyote-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the Wilwood 6 piston on mine purchased with the kit from FFR and the Whitby power brake booster. No regrets. Pedal is easy for me and my wife. A little work installing it in but once it's in your done. I would not want to do it on a finished car.
    JRL16
    Mk4 delivered 4/28/16. First start 10/15/16. First gocart 11/10/16. Engine Factory 427W. 750 carb. Tremec TKO600. 2015 IRS. Power steering. Whitby power brakes. Wilwood brakes. 18" wheels. Falken tires. Sway bars front and rear. Forte hydraulic clutch and mechanical throttle linkage. Scott's Hot Rods triple reservoir. Ceramic coated headers. Gas’n sidepipes. Heated seats. Herb Fraser walnut door panels. Wipers. Console.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've done the Wilwood pedal box and brakes with and without power. My #7750 build had hydroboost power with the Wilwood pedal box and the Wilwood 6 piston fronts and 2 piston rears. The Wilwood pedal box was a modded unit from Mike Forte. The brakes in that car are nice and for street use easy to drive. They are definitely not an "on-off switch" like several cautioned me about. But the hydroboost setup is not cheap or particularly simple, and you lose the front/back balance bar setup from the Wilwood pedal box. Plus it requires a pump. Not a big deal if you also have power steering. But does add more plumbing.

The vacuum boost approach, which Whitby has for the Wilwood pedal box, is another option. But similar in that you lose the front/back balance plus does require a minor frame mod. I used that setup on my Mk3 build, but with a Mustang pedal box. It also worked very well. But I can't actual experience using it with the Wilwood pedal box.

I have the Wilwood pedal box and Wilwood 6 piston front and rear setup on my Anniversary build and left the stock manual arrangement. As others have said, other than the somewhat higher pedal pressure required, they work great. I'm very happy with them and now that I'm a little more used to them, don't regret at all not having power brakes.
    Last edited by edwardb; 06-11-2017 at 06:36 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sir Edward is correct about losing the balance front and rear with the Whitby power brakes. You do need to install a proportioning valve. Pretty easy and not expensive. I installed an adjustable one in mine.
    JRL16
    Mk4 delivered 4/28/16. First start 10/15/16. First gocart 11/10/16. Engine Factory 427W. 750 carb. Tremec TKO600. 2015 IRS. Power steering. Whitby power brakes. Wilwood brakes. 18" wheels. Falken tires. Sway bars front and rear. Forte hydraulic clutch and mechanical throttle linkage. Scott's Hot Rods triple reservoir. Ceramic coated headers. Gas’n sidepipes. Heated seats. Herb Fraser walnut door panels. Wipers. Console.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Those who have found Wilwood brakes with a power assist to be too sensitive may have used a pedal with too much mechanical advantage and/or a too powerful booster. If a pedal with a ratio of 5 or 6:1 is used along with a vacuum booster, it could indeed produce brakes that are too sensitive. There are many levels of power boost, starting with the minimum 7" single diaphragm, then a 7" dual diaphragm (adds about 25%), then an 8 inch single diaphragm or an 8 inch dual diaphragm. Of course, even larger sizes are used on modern production cars.

I have a car with Wilwood 6 pistons in front and 4 pistons in the rear with 12.19" discs. With a 4/1 pedal, I used an 8" dual diaphragm with a 7/8" tandem master to get a pedal force similar to a new production car (fairly light). I may change to a 1" master to increase the force, sometime in the future. A proportioning valve at the rear, set to full pressure did not result in premature lock-up of the rear tires, so it was of no value. I removed it and placed it in the front. It does result in a more balanced braking feel, but I've never restricted the front pressure enough to create a rear wheel lock-up yet.