FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 14mm hex?

Post Thanks / Like

14mm hex?

Well, I'm pretty sure this isn't a standard tool in most DIY toolboxes. In fact, I've NEVER needed one until this Subaru engine. Now I live in a pretty small town, and in the "back" of it as well, so virtually every trip to the store takes about an hour's worth of driving and shopping, and most of the tools in town are over-priced because they can. I'm pretty sure I'll pick up a 14mm next time I'm in a reasonable place to do it, but since I wanted to get the job done right away....
    FormatFactory20170610_150543.jpg

14mm from the bucket-o-bolts, matching nut, a minute with the welder. About 5 minutes total. Yes, yes, garbage welds. I have to do a bunch of test welding to get the settings right for anything pretty, and here I was only concerned with penetration, so power up FTW!!! Worked a charm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Brilliant DIY. Since it worked, it's pretty!
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    One of these days I'll learn how to weld. Until then, Amazon.com! I have found all kinds of atypical tools (or at least the ones you can't find readily) there. If you spring for Prime, you get two day shipping for free.
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    I have one exactly like that.
    818S #22 Candy Blue Frame, Front Gas Tank, 2.5L Turbo, Rear radiator, Shortened Transmission, Wookiee Compatible, Console mounted MR2 Shifter, Custom ECU panel, AWIC soon
    My Son Michael's Turbo ICE Build X22 http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...rts-818S-Build
    My Electric Supercar Build X21 (on hold until winter) http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Ha!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Al_C View Post
    One of these days I'll learn how to weld. Until then, Amazon.com!. If you spring for Prime, you get two day shipping for free.
    Picked these up, as a local store wanted almost 10 bucks for one #10 size.
    https://www.amazon.com/Capri-Tools-M...ds=Capri+Tools

Post Thanks / Like
    I got my set of hex sockets from HF, they seem to work well:

https://www.harborfreight.com/9-piec...set-67880.html

Post Thanks / Like
    My HF set didn't have any of the 1/2 in drive pieces. And the 5mm shattered on me. Love my Harbor Freight because they were so cheap it didn't even hurt ma feelunz!