Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: Installing Breeze Offset Bushing

Post Thanks / Like

Installing Breeze Offset Bushing

I'm attempting to install the Breeze offset bushings in my power steering rack. As per the instructions, the driver's side bolt goes through no problem. Unfortunately I have encountered interference between the bolt and holes in the mounting bracket on the passenger side. Appears the interference is between a 1/16" and 1/8". I can certainly enlarge the hole in the chassis mounting bracket but am not sure that is the best thing to do. Any suggestions. I'm having trouble attaching pictures or I would.

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    You have to grind a bit of the bracket away for a proper fit. As I remember, the rack rides a bit lower in the chassis/brackets because of the new bushings.

Do not enlarge the hole.

If you need a picture for clarification, let me know.

George

Post Thanks / Like
    Please post a few pictures of this issue, I would like to see before ordering the bushing kit!

Thanks guys

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi George, Some pictures for clarification would be great!!! Thank you! Joel

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the exact same issue with the passenger hole not lining up. Mark from Breeze do you want to chime in?
    Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bluse View Post
    I have the exact same issue with the passenger hole not lining up. Mark from Breeze do you want to chime in?
    Thanks
    Was there any follow up to your question. I will be mounting mine soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The solid rack mounting bushings are a precision fit in the rack and do not allow any play. The chassis is not perfectly square so more often than not you will need to stretch the front hole of the second bolt you install to have it line up square with the rear frame hole.
    Don't worry, there is plenty of steel there and there is no issue with loss of strength. This will not be the only place you need to break out the file or the grinder to assemble the car.

Now there is one other possibility for manual racks that I could imagine but have not seen. If the ends are assembled onto the center tube rotated relative to each-other so that the mounting bolts are not parallel - that could be an issue depending on how far out they are. I would think this would be well controlled at the manufacturer however - trust but verify. (not an issue for power racks that are a single casting.

Back with the MK1 and MK2 all the holes were round. With the Mk3 FFR stretched the holes on one side so racks would fit without modification in more cases. The stretch is horizontal however so sometimes you need to stretch a hole in a different direction so they line up front to rear.
    www.breezeautomotive.com 2005 FFR Mk3 Roadster, 302/340hp, MassFlo EFI, Breeze Pulleys, T5, Aluminum Flywheel, 3-link rear with Torsen Diff and 3.27:1 gears, Power Steering, Breeze Front Sway Bar, SN-95 Spindles with outboard SAI Mod, Breeze Battery Mount, QA1 Externally Adjustable Shocks, Quick Release Steering Wheel, Vintage Race seats, GM Arctic White, Sky Blue Scoop, Hidden Hinges, Billet Aluminum Side-view Mirrors, 2,183lbs wet. 1967 Mustang Fastback, Dark Moss Green, black interior, '67 14" styled steel wheels, 2000 Explorer 302 w 5.0 Cam, Quickfuel 450 CFM, 289 Hi-Po Dual exhaust, C4, lowering springs w Shelby drop.

8. Likes toadster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    X2 on what Mark said. Had trouble with my installation too. I could get PS in, but not DS. If I tried DS first, it would go but then PS wouldn’t.

I found that just cleaning out the powder coating of both sides gave enough clearance to get both sides in.

10. Likes toadster liked this post