Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Efi and heater questions

Post Thanks / Like

Efi and heater questions

I have concerns about the inline heater valve and use of efi. The problem is the coolant temp sensor is located in the heater line in the same fitting as the heater hose. In the mustang there is constant coolant flow through this line. The heater temp is controlled by changing the air flow through the heater core. The result is an accurate temp for the ecm. We change this constant flow when the heater valve is installed for temp control in these cars. This means we now restrict or even stop coolant flow through this line. The result will be an inaccurate temp reading for the ecm. How did anyone get around this. Part numbers or donor applications would be awsome

Post Thanks / Like
    This what you need. I'm using this and so have several others. Electronic control for varying the amount of heat and all excess flow is returned to the water pump so you have constant full flow all the time. I even tapped my fitting a bit more so the sensor would fit lower in the water flow.

http://www.oldairproducts.com/catalo...ve-p-3667.html

If you would like some pictures PM me.

George

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't looked at an efi manifold in a decade but is there another location you could move the temp sensor to? How about a t-stat housing w/ a bung in it? Another option is just leave the valve open all the time. I have two real small heaters, one in the top of the passenger foot box, and one on the firewall behind the gauges. I leave the valve open year around and since they both flow air only when the fan is on, I haven't noticed any heat from them.
    Last edited by CraigS; 06-13-2017 at 06:38 AM.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    This may solve the problem: http://www.oldairproducts.com/catalo...e-p-18657.html

EDIT: But, use the electronic controlled one, that George refers to. I t did not pop up in my search.
    Last edited by DaleG; 06-14-2017 at 01:27 PM.
    SOLD 03/2013: MK II #5004: 5.0 EFI: 8.8, 3.55, E303, TW heads, GT40 intake, 24#, 70mm MAF

Ordered MK IV Coyote Complete Kit.

Post Thanks / Like
    What engine and EFI setup are you using?
    Walt
    FFR8237 Donor build 89 GT , MK 4 , T5 , 17 " hallibrands 9" front 10.5 rear ,4×4 headers stainless mufflers, dual chrome roll bars, coil overs all 4,A/C and heater , soft top, 3:55 gears.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is a 302 with an edelbrock rpm air gap. Efi is edelbrock e-street.

Post Thanks / Like
    The air gap manifold has two holes in the front water passage so your sensor could go in either one. This t-stat housing has a threaded hole.
    http://www.cjponyparts.com/thermosta...FRiBswodcnEPYg
    I run my temp gauge in the t-stat housing.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    My water to the throttle body comes out before the heater valve and goes back in to port on the back of the stock intake.
    Walt
    FFR8237 Donor build 89 GT , MK 4 , T5 , 17 " hallibrands 9" front 10.5 rear ,4×4 headers stainless mufflers, dual chrome roll bars, coil overs all 4,A/C and heater , soft top, 3:55 gears.