Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Throttle cable for factory 5.0 setup

Post Thanks / Like

Throttle cable for factory 5.0 setup

I am using the factory a BBK throttle body on a factory setup with the Russ Thompson pedal. I am not really liking the supplied throttle cable and would like to swap. Does anyone know the best Lokar cable to use for this setup. Would love tto not have to cobble together ends. I have also heard of people using ford truck cables. Does anybody know what year truck cable best works? I had a poor throttle cable setup fail and bind on me in the past and leave me stuck WOT. VERY SCARY. Thanks in advance for the assistance.
    #8869 Delivered 5/11/2016 Traditional donor build using 1994 Mustang

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Yes, its an F-150 throttle cable. No longer available from Ford but the aftermarket has you covered with an exact copy. It fits the FFR firewall on one end, has the OEM built-in return spring, the snap-in bracket and the ball stud attachment for the throttle body on the other. I like to trim off the short curved tube at the bulkhead fitting to reduce friction and let the cable go straight to the pedal.

http://www.rockauto.com/en/parts/atp...tor+cable,5892

Hope that helps!
    Last edited by Mark Reynolds; 06-23-2017 at 11:25 AM.
    www.breezeautomotive.com 2005 FFR Mk3 Roadster, 302/340hp, MassFlo EFI, Breeze Pulleys, T5, Aluminum Flywheel, 3-link rear with Torsen Diff and 3.27:1 gears, Power Steering, Breeze Front Sway Bar, SN-95 Spindles with outboard SAI Mod, Breeze Battery Mount, QA1 Externally Adjustable Shocks, Quick Release Steering Wheel, Vintage Race seats, GM Arctic White, Sky Blue Scoop, Hidden Hinges, Billet Aluminum Side-view Mirrors, 2,183lbs wet. 1967 Mustang Fastback, Dark Moss Green, black interior, '67 14" styled steel wheels, 2000 Explorer 302 w 5.0 Cam, Quickfuel 450 CFM, 289 Hi-Po Dual exhaust, C4, lowering springs w Shelby drop.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd be surprised if there was an aftermarket one available, that is the exact length you need for the throttle. Usually there is no real issue with attaching the cable end once it's cut to length, even FFR's works fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is a throttle linkage in the budget??? If so I'd go with that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    AC Bill - see link above and be surprised
    AWD Turbo - Factory 5.0 so a carb style linkage is not applicable.
    www.breezeautomotive.com 2005 FFR Mk3 Roadster, 302/340hp, MassFlo EFI, Breeze Pulleys, T5, Aluminum Flywheel, 3-link rear with Torsen Diff and 3.27:1 gears, Power Steering, Breeze Front Sway Bar, SN-95 Spindles with outboard SAI Mod, Breeze Battery Mount, QA1 Externally Adjustable Shocks, Quick Release Steering Wheel, Vintage Race seats, GM Arctic White, Sky Blue Scoop, Hidden Hinges, Billet Aluminum Side-view Mirrors, 2,183lbs wet. 1967 Mustang Fastback, Dark Moss Green, black interior, '67 14" styled steel wheels, 2000 Explorer 302 w 5.0 Cam, Quickfuel 450 CFM, 289 Hi-Po Dual exhaust, C4, lowering springs w Shelby drop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Reynolds View Post
    AC Bill - see link above and be surprised.
    Mark, if it is a pre-set length from the factory, and non-adjustable, how can one insure they can reach WOT, and back to an idle position, with the throttle body, and pedal they are using?