Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Picking up kit at factory

Post Thanks / Like

Picking up kit at factory

Tried doing a few searches, but couldn't find what i was looking for. I had Stewart deliver my previous kit years ago, but i'd like to visit the factory this time around. I'm ordering a complete kit, but not wheels. I'm curious if i have enough space to pick up a complete kit. We have a 2014 Ford Explorer that has decent space with the rear seats folded down. I'm wondering if i rented a Uhaul large utility trailer, could i get everything back home? Maybe if i elevate the chassis/body on the trailer, that would leave me room for additional boxes in the trailer if needed.

Any advice?

2. Thanks Kennyr thanked for this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can tell you that when my kit was delivered, because of where I live the truck had to deliver down the street from me. I put the body on my boat trailer, and all the boxes in the back of my pickup. Some of the boxes were very slender and long, and all the boxes together in the back of the truck took up a lot of the space on my 8ft bed. I don't think the interior of your explorer would fit everything. I have a picture of the truck bed with all the boxes in it, I'll see if I can dig up and post for you for reference

Post Thanks / Like
    Here u go
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    I went to the factory with an F150 XLT extended cab (not crew cab), full size bed, and a 16ft aluminum car carrier trailer. I filled the bed, put boxes in the car/chassis on the trailer, and a few smaller boxes behind the seats. The wheels were backordered, those would have had to been strapped to the trailer in front. I did not stack anything in the bed as tie down would have been difficult.

Post Thanks / Like
    I had a flat bed trailer that the chassis and body were placed on. The boxes filled my short bed and the wheel boxes were placed in the cockpit of the roadster. So just barely fit everything (full kit).
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    I picked my kit up at FFR and can't recommend doing so enough - what a great way to start the project!!!!

I used an open trailer and fit all of the boxes from my basic kit into the back of our Suburban with plenty of room left over to pick up quite a few more boxes for a friend at Cobra Automotive down the road in Connecticut. I think the complete kit has a full pallet of boxes, but with some creative packaging (i.e., putting boxes in the passenger compartment of the body and maybe under the hood since there's no engine) you should be able to do it with an Explorer.

Enjoy the field trip!!!
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    I was thinking of using a 6x12 Uhaul utility trailer and building an elevated chassis dolly to allow some boxes to be transported on the trailer. I did some google searching and found a picture from factory five with what i had in mind.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bguetter View Post
    I was thinking of using a 6x12 Uhaul utility trailer and building an elevated chassis dolly to allow some boxes to be transported on the trailer. I did some google searching and found a picture from factory five with what i had in mind.
    Ha, Dude on the left looks like he just found out he had to ride in the MK IV for the ride home.
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteH View Post
    I went to the factory with an F150 XLT extended cab (not crew cab), full size bed, and a 16ft aluminum car carrier trailer. I filled the bed, put boxes in the car/chassis on the trailer, and a few smaller boxes behind the seats. The wheels were backordered, those would have had to been strapped to the trailer in front. I did not stack anything in the bed as tie down would have been difficult.
    This was basically what I did when I picked up a "base" coupe kit. I filled up most of an 8-foot truck bed with boxes, had a few more items in the truck's extended cab, and may have had a few items inside the coupe itself. I was pretty amazed by how much was there.

"Any advice?" Yes, take a few rolls of good duct tape and a bunch of tie downs in case you come up short on space and have to get creative.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dont you have to pay state taxes now when picking up at the factory? And then pay your own state taxes when registering? I just seem to remember reading that on here a while back... could be wrong.
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    Boydster, I believe that's the case now. I picked up my donor kit 11 years ago, but considering the cost and time I'd have it delivered now.
    FFR 5136 Started as a donor...donor guages, engine, trans,etc. Now...TFS street intake,stage 1 cam, GT40p's,24# injectors and 80mm MAF,70mm TB,Z-spec t-5, and PSE Halibrand wrapped with Nitto 555 G2’s. My ever evolving dream car!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Boydster View Post
    Dont you have to pay state taxes now when picking up at the factory? And then pay your own state taxes when registering? I just seem to remember reading that on here a while back... could be wrong.
    You have to pay the sales tax when you pick it up, but you'll get credit for that when you register it in your state.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by steno View Post
    Boydster, I believe that's the case now. I picked up my donor kit 11 years ago, but considering the cost and time I'd have it delivered now.
    Quote Originally Posted by rich grsc View Post
    You have to pay the sales tax when you pick it up, but you'll get credit for that when you register it in your state.
    We picked up #8674 at the factory in August 2015. Didn't save much over the delivery charge. But enjoyed the experience. They didn't charge MA sales tax for out of state purchases at that time. But I've heard through multiple channels they do now. You should be able to get credit for the sales tax paid when you title/license in your home state. Most (all?) states have a reciprocal agreement for that sort of thing. But the MA tax rate is 6.25%. If yours is less, can't help you there. Pretty sure you would only get credit for the amount due in your state.

To the original question, we brought home a complete kit in our Dodge Durango and Serpent Express. Required both seats down in the Durango. We took the seats out of the boxes and put into the cockpit. The rims and a few other boxes fit on the floor of the SE around the chassis. It was tight, but we got everything home.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Make the trip. Tour the facilities. You won't be disappointed. Great people and an amazing organization. I made the trip in 2012 from Alberta with a 1ton Cummins Dodge and a 24' enclosed trailer. HOLY OVERKILL. A 16 foot utility trailer from Home Depot is more than adequate and your wife's mini van could pull it home. Take the seats out of the Explorer and you'll be fine. Quite a few boxes can slide into the cockpit of the car as it rests in your trailer.
    If you're a baseball fan, you're a stones throw from Fenway. "Play Ball"

Enjoy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Also, try and add in a little time to tour the area. In addition to bonding with the FFR team and seeing where your car was born, you can check out history in nearby Plymouth (dinner at the East Bay Grille is a must) and Cape Cod.
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumball View Post
    Also, try and add in a little time to tour the area. In addition to bonding with the FFR team and seeing where your car was born, you can check out history in nearby Plymouth (dinner at the East Bay Grille is a must) and Cape Cod.
    We toured Plymouth (saw the rock...) and ate dinner at East Bay Grille last Saturday after the Open House. Highly recommended! We cruised Cape Cod when we went to the Open House two years ago. More driving and a little less touristy. Also recommended. Agreed it's a great place to visit.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used a large 5X12 single axle utility trailer. Laid landscape timbers across the rails and set the frame/body on top. Put many boxes under the car on the trailer and the rest in the back of the pickup. Overall a very worthwhile experience.
    MKII "Little Boy". 432CI all aluminum Windsor. .699 solid roller, DA Koni shocks, aluminum IRS, Straight cut dog ring T-5, 13" four piston Brembos, Bogart wheels. BOOM!

Post Thanks / Like

Pickup @ the Factory

Quote Originally Posted by mikeinatlanta View Post
    I used a large 5X12 single axle utility trailer. Laid landscape timbers across the rails and set the frame/body on top. Put many boxes under the car on the trailer and the rest in the back of the pickup. Overall a very worthwhile experience.
    got our kit Friday, all fit on trailer & back of a 4-RunnerIMG_0622.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    B-

I will throw my hat in the ring.

Picked up my kit with a Chevy Tahoe and utility trailer. Chassis and body sat on the trailer, and nearly all the boxes fit in the back of the Tahoe. It was packed full and tight. My son had to hold the assembly manual in his hands, because there wasn't any more room in the back!

We had a few boxes that had to go on the trailer, and we wrapped those in a tarp to keep dry -- snow, sleet, and salt everywhere, and tied them down as well.

Complete kit with quite a few options, but no wheels. I hope this helps.

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for all the input everyone. After careful thought, we are just going to use Stewart to deliver the kit. BUT, my wife said let's take a separate trip up to the area and stop in the factory at that time. We've never been to Massachusetts. Factory five had a complete 289 kit ready to go that someone else canceled the order on, so i grabbed it! It's being loaded on tomorrow's Stewart transport truck. Talk about great timing, i should have my kit as soon as this weekend!

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations. If you want a really cool place to stay with your wife in that area, I would suggest a B&B and restaurant called The Belfry in nearby Sandwich, Mass. It is an old church converted to a B&B and restaurant. My wife and I stayed there when we picked up my coupe some years ago. Both the lodging and the dining were excellent.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey guys! So I’m in a bit of a pickle here. I want to pickup my complete kit roadster myself, but am struggling with a few things. As of right now, only my wife and I are available for “muscle”. I’ve been told by FFR that you need more than 2 people to lift the chassis.

Based on what you guys have said, it seems like I could fit the body and chassis on a 6x12 open utility trailer with no ramp and all of the boxes in the back of an 8’ pickup. Is this correct?

The problem is that if we cannot lift the chassis just us, how can we get it off? I have a rolling dolly I built for the chassis during assembly, but that won’t do me any good if the trailer has no ramp. Box trucks also don’t have double ramps, so that doesn’t help either.

Please help! I am trying to pick this up on 11/27.

Post Thanks / Like
    Picking up at FFR is a great experience and all the boxes will fit in an eight foot bed with some careful arrangement. I bought four, four wheel dolly's from Harbor Freight for $10 each and jacked up the chassis with my floor jack and strapped one on each corner of the frame and rolled it off my trailer and into the garage. Option two is remove the body from the chassis ( its very light) when you get home and you and two friends can carry the frame off the trailer. Its pretty light. But the floor jack and dolly method worked pretty well for me. Just make sure you strap the dolly's to the frame or it wants to slide off.

Post Thanks / Like
    If your rolling dolly is not too high or low you can pull it up to the edge of your trailer and winch the assembly on to your dolly with ratchet straps. Don't be worried about the weight of this car in this state its easy to move around and with a little ingenuity you'll get it off. Might take some blocks of wood to get your height correct.

Post Thanks / Like
    All I ever used to move mine around was 4 furniture dollies from harbor freight and it was easy to push it up and down my driveway with a little slope. Getting it off the trailer wont be an issue if you load it with the front toward the rear of the trailer, pull the front off and put it on dollies, then roll the frame until you can lift the back off and onto dollies for the rear. For myself, I was able to lift the front on my own while my wife put dollies under it, the rear from what I recall was too heavy to lift on my own with where the front dollies had been placed but it was not an issue to kick dollies into the right place.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like to me that people have been able to pickup an MKIV complete kit with a pickup truck and a 6x12 trailer?

Post Thanks / Like
    It works

Post Thanks / Like
    If your trailer has a flat open floor without side rails you’ll be OK but if it has side rails more than several inches high or is less than a full 6 feet between them it could be tight. At it’s widest point at the top of the rear wheel arches the body is 71 1/2”. The rear quarter behind the wheel is 68” right before it tucks under. Overall length is 155”.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Well so I am thinking about going with the no-ramp Uhaul trailer and their 8' pickup truck. I've seen people put down a layer of pallets and tires and strapped the frame and body down on top of that. I guess the major question now is will all of the boxes fit on the Uhaul pickup truck.

pictures-1906-picture21794-img-0067a.jpg
    Last edited by thwrightstuff; 11-12-2020 at 11:04 AM.