Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Bit the bullet this weekend and ordered my kit!

Post Thanks / Like

Bit the bullet this weekend and ordered my kit!

Hey Guys!

After about 30 years of dreaming of owning a Cobra I finally pulled the trigger and placed my order online this weekend during the open house. I was planning on ordering it in September, but everything fell into place unexpectedly and I just "had" to do it.

My plan is to build this for an all around fun car. I'll be cruising around town (60%), hitting some scenic curvy roads (10%), going to a few car shows (10%), and doing a the occasional "for fun" track (10%) and autocross days (10%). I have two boys that are 6 and 12. I'm really looking forward to working on this with them (and they are excited too). Since I have a family and many things going on, I'm planning on taking my time on this, so the build could be drawn out a little more than some of yours. It definitely won't be done in 9 months. I'm going for a vaguely vintage looking car with 15" billboards and the vintage gages.

Here's what I ordered with the complete kit:
    -Frame setup for 302/351 engine and 8.8 straight rear axle w/3 link suspension
    -Powder coated frame
    -Uncut body
    -Power steering
    -Vintage gauge set
    -Stainless side exhaust
    -302 ceramic coated headers
    -Wind wings
    -Sun visors
    -Heater/defroster
    -Wipers
    -Driver and Passenger chrome roll bars(planning to make the passenger side removable)
    -Roll bar grommets
    -Center dash support
    -15" Halibrand wheels
    -Swapped the pre cut dash for a blank dash.

I'm also planning to get/do the following items to complete the build...
    -Gordan Levy's 4 piston Wilwood brakes for FFR's 15" Halibrand wheels
    -Mickey Thompson ST 15" tires (with Goodyear Eagle tire stickers or stencil)
    -For the power plant, right now I'm looking at a BluePrint Engines 347 with EFI, but could go a lot of different directions.
    -TKO600 tranny
    -3.55 gearing in the rear end along with a 31 spline axles and Ford Track Lok diff..
    -Glove box. I like the way the glove box looks in the dash, so I'm going to try to get it to work with the heater.
    -Dropped trunk mod
    -Battery relocated to the front or under the trunk.
    -Competition dash layout.
    -A second set of 17" wheels and tires for running on the track. (Hopefully, already have these)
    -Would really like to do rectangular taillights.
    -I'm planning to paint it Viking blue with white stripes and blacked out wheels, although my wife and kids are pushing for lime green and black stripes.

Once I get a little closer I'll start a build thread.
    Last edited by Yama-Bro; 06-15-2017 at 03:27 PM.
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

Post Thanks / Like
    Very cool, have fun with the kids...theyll remember those times spent with you for the rest of their lives. Congrats, and good luck with your build!

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats!

You mention an occassional autocross or track day and even dedicated tires yet I don't see that you ordered a 3 link rear suspension. You really should.

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Isn't 3 link the standard option with the complete kit?

I double checked my order confirmation sheet...the deluxe 3-link is on there. =) I got really nervous there for a few minutes. I added it to the list. Thanks for checking my list close Jeff!
    Last edited by Yama-Bro; 06-15-2017 at 02:35 PM.
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    Good luck with your build. I ordered my kit on June 7. Looking forward to getting started as I just retired and love projects like this. Your boys will remember this for the rest of their lives.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats! Like the description of your build, similar to mine.

I went with a 351w and carb though.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yama-Bro View Post
    Isn't 3 link the standard option with the complete kit?
    Yes, didn't see "complete" in your opening post.

Have a blast!

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats! Enjoy the build.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Congratulations From The Big Easy!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by KDubU View Post
    Congrats! Like the description of your build, similar to mine.

I went with a 351w and carb though.
    Yeah, I love your car. I hope this doesn't sound too creepy, but one of the pictures of your car is my laptop's background. haha
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations, don't feel nervous about leaving things off the order, I ordered mine on May 24 and still have called Courtine a few times to change items. Now try to remain calm until the kit get to the house. Your kids I bet are excited also.
    MKIV #9122 Ordered kit 5/24/17 received kit 8/11/17 MK4 Base kit +,First Start 4/7/18, First Go-Cart 4/22/18, In gelcoat, licensed and driving 8/11/18. Coyote gen2, T-56, 2015 IRS 3.31, 17" Halibrand replicas w/Nitto NT555 G2, Withby Motorcars power brake kit W/Wilwood pedals, 04 Cobra front brakes, 15 Mustang rear brakes with mods, power steering. Paint Jeff Miller Da Bat, Lexus Spectra Blue Mica W/Toyota Silver Sky Metallic strips. Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...Paul2STL-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to a wonderfully changed world. Can I talk you into a 351? If you make the change now, your headers and intake will be ready to go as far as a 427. At least to a 408 w/ a stock block. The 351 internals are all stronger than a 302 so it is easy to build 400-425 hp using all the stock crank and rods and aftermarket, but stock style, hyper eutectic pistons w/ a little more compression.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    Welcome to a wonderfully changed world. Can I talk you into a 351? If you make the change now, your headers and intake will be ready to go as far as a 427. At least to a 408 w/ a stock block. The 351 internals are all stronger than a 302 so it is easy to build 400-425 hp using all the stock crank and rods and aftermarket, but stock style, hyper eutectic pistons w/ a little more compression.
    You may be able to talk me into it. I have considered the 408 extensively over the years. Two of the reasons I am leaning towards the 347 is because of the weight and because I will most likely be buying an engine from Blueprint Engines, where I am an employee, and I believe I can get the 347 cheaper with my employee discount. If I was to build the engine myself, I would probably lean towards the 351 based engine.
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, I love your car. I hope this doesn't sound too creepy, but one of the pictures of your car is my laptop's background. haha

Not creepy at all, I appreciate you like my build and it's flattering actually.
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome aboard! Sounds like a great build plan. You will have a blast.
    -Steve
    Mk IV #8901 - Complete kit, Coyote, TKO-600, IRS. Ordered 5/23/16, Delivered 7/14/16, First Start 8/13/17, First Go-Kart 10/22/17, Registered and Completed 10/18/18. Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...V-Coyote-Build Graduation Thread: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...-Roadster-8901

Post Thanks / Like
    You may be able to talk me into it. I have considered the 408 extensively over the years. Two of the reasons I am leaning towards the 347 is because of the weight and because I will most likely be buying an engine from Blueprint Engines, where I am an employee, and I believe I can get the 347 cheaper with my employee discount. If I was to build the engine myself, I would probably lean towards the 351 based engine.
    I'll be ordering my Blueprint 347 EFI in a few months -- I live about six hours from Kearney, so I may drive out to pick it up rather than have it shipped. Congrats on the order! Mine is getting delivered on Saturday morning.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats! Great plan

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    I'll be ordering my Blueprint 347 EFI in a few months -- I live about six hours from Kearney, so I may drive out to pick it up rather than have it shipped. Congrats on the order! Mine is getting delivered on Saturday morning.
    Definitely. We'll hook you up with a factory tour when you come to pick it up. Just let Pete S. (sales) or myself know when you are gonna be here and we'll get something setup.
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations on joining the fun! I remember the delay between ordering and delivery was excruciating. Then I was so excited on delivery day that I thought my head was going to pop off. I'd been dreaming for about 25 years, so I well know how you're feeling!

I stood in a parking lot in Kearney in maybe 1999 watching a tornado that we later learned passed over Hastings. It remains the most godawful example of nature's power that this north-westerner has ever seen.

Post Thanks / Like
    Congratulations on making the decision!

The wait from now until the kit is delivered is so hard. It was worse than waiting for Christmas when I was a kid!

I know you will enjoy building with your boys. That's what I have done, and it has been the best decision ever. The time we spend in the garage together is priceless! We have grown together in the garage working on the Roadster more than doing almost everything else. I hope you have a similar experience.

I have the Blueprint 408, and she is beautiful! I have not yet started it, but it won't be long. Like Craig, I think you will be very happy with the 351W; it will provide you with great flexibility for HP. Whether or not you run with the 408, the 351 provides a wide range of options for you going forward.

Best of luck moving forward, and welcome to an awesome club!

Regards,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by initiator View Post
    I stood in a parking lot in Kearney in maybe 1999 watching a tornado that we later learned passed over Hastings. It remains the most godawful example of nature's power that this north-westerner has ever seen.
    We had a tornado go right over our house about 9 years ago. It leveled an apartment at the end of our block and proceeded to do more damage on it's way out the other side of town. That's the closest I ever want to get to one of those.
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    The first year we were in our home, we took a direct hit by a small tornado.

The pictures were taken by a neighbor from about a mile away. My house is in the red circle in the first picture -- just after the tornado hit us. I had two cars in the driveway that suffered significant damage, but the house fared pretty well with only a few downspouts damaged and some window blasting from the sand.
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Too close for comfort!
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    So I take it you're near Kearney? We go to Lincoln frequently for autocrosses, so it would be great to see you there!

Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by squareback View Post
    So I take it you're near Kearney? We go to Lincoln frequently for autocrosses, so it would be great to see you there!

Mike
    Yep, in Kearney. Nice! How often are there autocross races in Lincoln?
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome to the fun and enjoy the build. Your build looks good. I am teetering on getting mine painted. I have body on, working out the body work, and just had the alignments done.

Early on I decided on Power steering, power barkes and hydraulic clutch. and a 302 based engine.
    Baghdad Bob

Complete Kit Delivered July 2010, serial @ 7287, Whitby Power Brakes, Whitby Tonneau, Power Steering w HEIDTS PS Valve, Hydralic clutch, 15" Wheels, BFG Tires, 331 stroker w Quick Fuel 650, RPM Heads, Air Gap Intake. IRS w 3.27, TKO-600. FFMETAL Firewall Forward, FFMETAL Dropped Battery Box in Trunk, Enlarged Passenger footbox, Breeze Cubby storage, Breeze Seat Brackets, Herbs Door Panels. Ford ruby red 12 coats.

Post Thanks / Like
    Re tires. take a look at the MT Sportsman SR tires
    http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/street/sportsman-sr
    26x10 front and 26x12 rear. They used to get very good reviews here but I haven't seen anyone use them in the last couple of years. I have a pair of the StreetComp tires on the back and am a a bit underwhelmed. They are only slightly better than Sumi's so I am concerned that the ST's may not be much traction wise..
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    Re tires. take a look at the MT Sportsman SR tires
    http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/street/sportsman-sr
    26x10 front and 26x12 rear. They used to get very good reviews here but I haven't seen anyone use them in the last couple of years. I have a pair of the StreetComp tires on the back and am a a bit underwhelmed. They are only slightly better than Sumi's so I am concerned that the ST's may not be much traction wise..
    I'll give the SR's a look when I get close to ordering the tires. I was planning on using the 15" Mickey Thompsons for street use only. I have another set of 17" wheels and tires for the track. I know that KdubU used the ST's and is pretty happy with them. Thanks for the heads up!
    Serial #9158