BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Side Pipe Body Cut Outs

Post Thanks / Like

Side Pipe Body Cut Outs

The original 427 s/c had a cut out on the body where side pipes exits that did not extend to the rocker area, leaving around 1-2" of the body below the pipes.

My Superformance side pipe cut out also was a semi-square hole cut out of the body. When we fit side pipes, we had to put the square flange through the body to mount the pipes.

The FFR Roadster's I've seen has the entire area cut out of the body. I understand this makes body fitting easier, but I really like just a square cut out, not an entire area. I like the side pipes extending *from* the body, and not in a cut on the bottom edge.

Has anyone cut a side pipe hole in their roadster? Do the header/side pipe connection and angle allow this?

This pic shows what I refer to:

Post Thanks / Like
    It would take custom headers that exit higher and at a shallower angle to make that possible with a Factory Five. The commonly used setups, even when custom that I've seen, don't have enough room underneath for the body to close the opening. They wouldn't have to be raised too much. There's available room except the steering column would limit some on the DS. But probably enough if you really want to do it.

I wouldn't say it's about body fitting. It's still necessary to have the side pipes off to install/remove the body. Especially with the Mk4 and the wraparound sills. Also since the FF header/side pipe joint is very close to the body exit, having it closed would make it very difficult to take the pipes on and off. The joint is quite different than what I've seen on a Superformance.

This isn't the same angle as your pic, but representative of the standard FF opening and somewhat sharper pipe angle.

Last edited by edwardb; 06-29-2017 at 07:01 AM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    It would take custom headers that exit higher and at a shallower angle to make that possible with a Factory Five. The commonly used setups, even when custom that I've seen, don't have enough room underneath for the body to close the opening. They wouldn't have to be raised too much. There's available room except the steering column would limit some on the DS. But probably enough if you really want to do it.

I wouldn't say it's about body fitting. It's still necessary to have the side pipes off to install/remove the body. Especially with the Mk4 and the wraparound sills. Also since the FF header/side pipe joint is very close to the body exit, having it closed would make it very difficult to take the pipes on and off. The joint is quite different than what I've seen on a Superformance.

This isn't the same angle as your pic, but representative of the standard FF opening and somewhat sharper pipe angle.

So it would take custom headers AND sidepipes, correct?

Soumds like a lot of work for marginal aesthetics.

Post Thanks / Like
    The other issue would be, the rear mount mates to the side pipes much lower than what you would need and you would end up with the side pipes on a slope and not parallel to the ground.

Gary
    Mark IV base kit, 2015 Coyote, Wilwood brakes, IRS-3.55 TruTrac, T56, ABS, PS, Nitto G2, Carbon fiber Dash

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CobraboyDR View Post
    So it would take custom headers AND sidepipes, correct?

Soumds like a lot of work for marginal aesthetics.
    I don't know about the side pipes, but something different than the usual headers. Maybe something as simple as a different angle at the heads. But still would be very hard to get the side pipes on/off. Suggest you look at one in person to draw your own conclusions. I agree it's not worth the effort. But that's just my opinion.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.