Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Trunk in 818C

Post Thanks / Like

Trunk in 818C

The trunk kit from Factory Five was designed for the 818S, but I wanted to have some storage space in my 818C, so here's what I made.

trunk composite.jpg

It is close to the downpipe and muffler, so I made a heat shield. The trunk is supported by a steel frame of square 1/2" tubing anchored to the transmission frame. I lined the inner walls with 1/2" closed cell foam for heat and sound control, plus D-rings and bungie cords.

trunk composite 2.jpg

A fun creative aspect of FFR builds is that we each can design and build what we want. My trunk is aluminum in 3 parts so I can install and remove it with the hard top in place. Insurance Guy (Alan) made a one-piece fiberglass trunk for his 818C that he installed before mounting the hard top. Alan has the FFR trunk to use when he converts back to an 818S roadster. See his well-made fiberglass trunk in the build thread for Insurance Guy.
    Last edited by AZPete; 06-29-2017 at 04:30 PM. Reason: photos added
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    That looks amazing. If I didn't have my wing mount/muffler in that area I would of built a trunk. Very nice attention to detail like usual from you Pete.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've seen this in person...really slick, Pete. I especially like the latches. Good work!

Post Thanks / Like
    wow
    that looks fantastic. I wish I thought of a locking lid for mine, very neat
    818S #343 Delivered 5-20-2015
    First Start 10-17-2015
    First Drive 10-17-2017 ( 100 feet back and forth until I can get off driveway)
    First Drive with a non leaking tuned motor 11-12-2015 (wow)
    Passed NJ State constructed inspection 8/30/2016

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Funny, I had the same thing for lunch.

Nice job.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice Pete, you anchored it with the side of the wheel well? This looks a lot like mine tho I used 1 in AL angle vs steel tubing. What kind of size were you able to get in the coupe? My s Trunk is 46 x 10 x 10. I like the cover... I found that reflective tape and the heat shield eliminated any heat problems w/o insulation. That could be in part due to my engine compartment air flow between the side scoops and the rear vent around the transaxle area.
    Dan

818S #17 Picked up 8/1/13 First start 11/1/13 Go Kart 3/28/14

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Dan, for the nice words. My trunk is 42"x9"x10" high, which is 2.187 cubic feet, or big enough for exactly 96 beer cans plus about 14 ice cubes. Unfortunately, my current diet prevents me from actually trying that cargo. The base frame is anchored to the top of the tranny and the frame below it, plus the top of the trunk box is anchored to the frame diagonal. It's sturdy with no rattles. The wheel wells are nearby, but not sturdy enough to consider as anchors. Your 818S trunk started me thinking about this 818C trunk months ago.
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice job, Pete! I think you could squeeze an overnight bag compartment into an F1 car.