FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: MkIV CC 8885, new build

Post Thanks / Like

MkIV CC 8885, new build

I've been watching & reading for a long time. Finally an owner. Purchased #8885 from another member and brought it home earlier this month.

Working on parts list, build plans and lots of work & fun. Ultimately it will be a streetable track car with windshield, full lighting, wipers and a few creature comforts. I've had two Superformance cars, both now gone, so I have a good idea of what I'm getting into. It was time to build rather than buy.

I am in the Grand Rapids, MI area and would be pleased to meet other owners that are nearby.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome and congrats! Any details on your build you wish to share?
    Kyle

Complete Kit pickup 09/05/2015, 351w, QF680, 3.55, 3-Link, 15" Halibrands with MT's, Painted Viking blue with Wimbledon white stripes on 03/15/2017. Sold in 08/2018 and totally regret it.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Congratulations & Welcome To The Factory Five Family!
    Check out Edwardb's build threads.
    His threads will give you a fantastic look at how it should be done.
    He knows these cars like the back of his hand and also resides in your home state of Michigan.
    In addition you've got Mott Community College, where you can attend the build school if desired.

https://youtu.be/PtcRqUxvOMA
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 06-20-2017 at 04:46 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jim
    Congrats on your build. I'm in the Toledo area. Stop by anytime. We're both in luck because one of the best builders is in our area. I'm speaking of Edwardb. Paul knows everything there is to know about FFR roadsters. He's built 3 of them. What are your plans for your build? My roadster is almost ready for paint. Just finishing up with all the parts that need to go on the car. I don't want to have to do any body mods or drilling after paint. Good luck.
    JRL16
    Mk4 delivered 4/28/16. First start 10/15/16. First gocart 11/10/16. Engine Factory 427W. 750 carb. Tremec TKO600. 2015 IRS. Power steering. Whitby power brakes. Wilwood brakes. 18" wheels. Falken tires. Sway bars front and rear. Forte hydraulic clutch and mechanical throttle linkage. Scott's Hot Rods triple reservoir. Ceramic coated headers. Gas’n sidepipes. Heated seats. Herb Fraser walnut door panels. Wipers. Console.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you all for the warm welcome. I hope to participate as the build progresses. Also, I've had the pleasure of meeting EdwardB and have seen his car, a work of excellence indeed. A friend went to the build school last year; he is now working on a Gen3 Coupe just down the road.

I have posted in the past as to what I hoped to do but here's the basics.

2015 IRS, iron case, Torsen & 3.73. Planning to switch to 3.31 gears and considering changing to the aluminum case from the automatics for the weight savings.
    Street completion kit
    17" wheels but not sure which. Would like 9.5/11 wide for big tires.
    No top, will build a tonneau. Drains in the floor, I know I'll get wet.
    I do have Wilwood big brakes for the front & rear.

Koni or QA1 coilovers. Not sure which, looking at options.
    Speedhut gauges.
    Custom headers.

I have these pieces, saved from my SPF cars.
    Aluminum 427w. I have been driving it since 2004.
    Tremec TKO600, .64OD w/ Liberty upgrades, mid shift.
    Quick Time scattershield but thinking about a factory aluminum to save weight.
    McLeod RST clutch ***'y. Considering an aluminum or other lightweight flywheel.
    Hoping to use my Firefly Performance sidepipes.

Currently organizing and planning the project. I agree on getting the body and assy done before paint. I expect to drive in primer for a while. Wish I had a larger garage, right now it's 20# in a 5# sack.

Thanks again, I'm really looking forward to the build and working with this great group.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    I understand completely about garage space. Mine is a 2 and1/2 car garage but with all the normal things in the garage and then you add an entire car in pieces it can get crowded. Good luck.
    JRL16
    Mk4 delivered 4/28/16. First start 10/15/16. First gocart 11/10/16. Engine Factory 427W. 750 carb. Tremec TKO600. 2015 IRS. Power steering. Whitby power brakes. Wilwood brakes. 18" wheels. Falken tires. Sway bars front and rear. Forte hydraulic clutch and mechanical throttle linkage. Scott's Hot Rods triple reservoir. Ceramic coated headers. Gas’n sidepipes. Heated seats. Herb Fraser walnut door panels. Wipers. Console.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm building out of a 1 car garage (10x18) and it's really not that bad. Where ther is a will there's a way.
    MK4 #9028 - Coyote - TKO600
    Delivery: 1/30/17 First Start: 7/23/17 Legal: 10/5/17 Graduated: 10/15/18
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...8-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Be careful w/ the ratio swap. The gears won't all swap especially onto the torsen center section. Good luck.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    CraigS,
    Thanks. I've been trying to get accurate information on this. No definitive answers. I really like the 3.27/3.31 gearing range.
    Anyone have better information as to if the 3.31 gears will go into the new 2015 IRS and Torsen differential?
    Thanks,
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    I would call Ford Performance and ask. There is way too much conflicting info I have come across. OTOH there is a 331 diff only on ebay right now and a complete rear suspension w/ 331. The complete unit is a screaming deal as i paid $990 + shipping last August. BTW try to find a unit that has the brakes included as they work very well on my irs retrofit so that saves a ton of $.
    Last edited by CraigS; 06-24-2017 at 06:21 AM.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    CraigS, I have the full IRS system so it's just a matter of gears. But I'd really like to switch to the aluminum case for the weight savings. I have been communicating with Mike Forte about the gears and aluminum case; hopefully he'll get it worked out. I've called Ford Performance, the gentleman I spoke to knew little more than part numbers, same thing with another Mustang parts group.

GoDadGo. Thanks, I agree, a good evaluation of engine power, driving styles, expected uses are all important. I was fortunate that when I selected the engine trans combination for my original Superformance car in 2004 I had good advisers. This was supplied with 3.73 gears and HP/TQE was lower at first. I switched to the 3.27s and a Torsen T2. It is difficult to evaluate the "feel" of a combination from charts and analysis without some seat-of-the-pants experience.

I've been driving the 427 with 3.27 gears and the TKO-600 .64 since 2005 and for better than 50k miles. I run on the track in 3rd & 4th and back off at 140, don't like the 4-5 or 5-4 shift on the track. Cruising in 5th with 315/35-17s is 2,200 at 80 is right were I want to be. Lights up the tires with a 2,500rpm roll-on in 1st and hits 157 in 4th. The first and only time running the quarter mile it was 11.8 @ 120 on the best of 6 passes on an earlier version on the motor. This combination works well for me. I would like the T-56 for the smoother shifts and the better spacing of the ODs but it's longer and heavier.

Thanks all for your comments. I hope my comments help others that are working through the configuration options. But what works for one may not be good for another.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Just an update, wow I'm slow. Finally a few things are coming together other than plotting & planning.

Big THANKS to Mike Forte. Mike & his team assembled a new 2015 IRS diff center. Aluminum case, 3.31 gears, Torsen T2. Originally I thought I had the T2, alternate gears and a steel case. So much for thinking! It really was a 3.55 Traction-Lok p/n M-4001-88355 - now for sale. The price came in less than Ford wanted for a steel 3.73, T2. I haven't weighed the installed steel case diff but will once it's out, the aluminum unit weighs 82.5#. I believe the weight savings are about 25#.

Also received an ACT lightweight Flywheel from Mike. Looks great weighs, 14#, about 9 lighter than a traditional steel piece. More on this later.

The chassis is at a friend's shop to build a roll cage, modify a few other bars, change the trunk steel, new motor mount pads and a Stainless Steel gas tank. I'm working on new body hangers so I can suspend the body from the garage ceiling once it's cut into front/rear halves.

Again, thanks to Mike and his guys. I'd highly recommend his products and services.

Jim