Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Body buck plans

Post Thanks / Like

Body buck plans

Hi Guys,

Are there plans for a body buck floating around this site? Or are they in the FFR manual? I did a little searching, but didn't find anything real obvious. Would like to do a body buck that can roll over the top of the frame (already found the plans for that).

Thanks!
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

Post Thanks / Like
    Page 464 and 465 in the manual show the body buck (at least in the manual I have). But that one wont store over the chassis.
    Over on the other forum there are a bunch of plans and a body buck faq: https://www.google.com/search?q=ffr+...ck&oq=ffr+body
    MK4 #9028 - Coyote - TKO600
    Delivery: 1/30/17 First Start: 7/23/17 Legal: 10/5/17 Graduated: 10/15/18
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...8-Build-Thread

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here's the one I built....body1.jpgbody2.jpgbuck1.jpgbuck2.jpgbuck3.jpg

I basically followed this (http://www.ffcars.com/FAQ/bodybuck02.html) but added the shelf across the center of the buck.

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    I just built mine the other day. Originally, I was going to do the kind that rolls over the chassis, but after some measurements of my chassis dolly, my garage door, searching for the height from bottom of the frame rail to top of the steering wheel, and... Well... My wife is 4'9", my kids aren't much taller, and I don't want to HAVE to rely on help from neighbors (I am an engineer; therefore, I have no social skills), so I went with the normal low type instead.

I used the plans in the build manual, but modified the radii to match "Stan's Revised Mk4 Body Buck Plans" from the other forum. I tried to get the link, but my computer won't let me get to that whole forum right now for some reason. You should be able to find it, if you want, by doing a search there.

These are the casters that went on my body buck. My driveway has a slope to it, so I got brakes on all four (I also did that for my chassis dolly casters).

A 3/4" sheet of plywood, the casters with some lag screws, some drywall screws, and a few 2x4s later, she was done. Oh, and some pipe insulation. Zip ties going on tonight to hold the pipe insulation in place better.
    Last edited by mach'er; 06-21-2017 at 05:11 PM.
    Roadster #9146. Complete Kit, 363 w/Jim Inglese Weber Carbs, Forte TKO600 w/Hydraulic Clutch, IRS, Wilwood Brakes, F & R Sway Bars, 17" Halibrands, Power Steering, Breeze Front Battery Kit, Herb's Door Panels, and who knows what else left to be added.
    Ordered 5/19/17. Delivered 8/18/17. Slowly Building.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Yama-Bro View Post
    Hi Guys,

Are there plans for a body buck floating around this site? Or are they in the FFR manual? I did a little searching, but didn't find anything real obvious. Would like to do a body buck that can roll over the top of the frame (already found the plans for that).

Thanks!
    Yama-Bro, where are you located? I'm in southeastern WI and don't think my body is ever going back on my body buck. It's yours for free if you want to come pick it up. Assuming your forum name means you're a Yamaha fan, I might have to put a Polaris sticker on it just for you...

Mach'er, too bad you just made yours considering you're in WI only about 1.5 hours away(I'm in Burlington).

-TJ

Post Thanks / Like
    the plans referenced above on FFCARS are detailed and easy. My 2 cents: use bigger casters. They roll much, much easier.
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Good info and advice. I'm pretty sure I can get something figured out with the info you guys provided.

Does the manual have the curves of the buck dimensioned incorrectly? Is that why Stan came up with new design?

Quote Originally Posted by jeepurz View Post
    Yama-Bro, where are you located? I'm in southeastern WI and don't think my body is ever going back on my body buck. It's yours for free if you want to come pick it up. Assuming your forum name means you're a Yamaha fan, I might have to put a Polaris sticker on it just for you...

Mach'er, too bad you just made yours considering you're in WI only about 1.5 hours away(I'm in Burlington).

-TJ
    I'm located in Nebraska. A little too far away. Thanks for the offer though.

You are close on the username. It short for Yamaha Brotherhood. I used to ride ATVs a lot. There was a large group of us that went to the dunes together. Almost all of us rode Yamahas except one guy on a Honda 250R. We used to give him a lot of crap about how he should join the Yamaha Brotherhood. He never did. Now he owns a big Honda dealership. LOL.
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017, Rolling Chassis 3/30/2018, Engine Dyno'ed 3/4/2022, Engine installed 8/27/2022
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    Does the manual have the curves of the buck dimensioned incorrectly? Is that why Stan came up with new design?

The manual radiuses weren't updated when the body changed. I did use Stan's dimensions, but it is NOT critical that it is a perfect match.
    Everyone obsesses with getting it right, since it is usually the first thing you are doing on the car (myself included), but perfection is not necessary in this case.
    MK4 #9028 - Coyote - TKO600
    Delivery: 1/30/17 First Start: 7/23/17 Legal: 10/5/17 Graduated: 10/15/18
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...8-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdav View Post
    The manual radiuses weren't updated when the body changed. I did use Stan's dimensions, but it is NOT critical that it is a perfect match.
    Everyone obsesses with getting it right, since it is usually the first thing you are doing on the car (myself included), but perfection is not necessary in this case.
    Got it. Thanks.
    Serial #9158

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdav View Post

This is exactly correct, but...if you're making the buck from scratch it's no harder to make the contour match the current MK4 profile than it is to make it match an outdated one. If interested, an updated drawing can be found here:

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...518#post206518

Post Thanks / Like
    Can't remember where I got my plans from. Somewhere online. The plans in the manual aren't updated for the proper body fitment but would still work. One change I made was to make the ends centered in the wheel openings. Most plans call for 96" body buck length but the wheel base is 90". Worked well for me. I was able to apply the bed liner under the body without having to take the body off and turn it upside down. Just apply and let it dry then slide the car for or aft on the buck and finish the rest. With 96" spacing there isn't a lot of ability to slide the body.
    JRL16
    Mk4 delivered 4/28/16. First start 10/15/16. First gocart 11/10/16. Engine Factory 427W. 750 carb. Tremec TKO600. 2015 IRS. Power steering. Whitby power brakes. Wilwood brakes. 18" wheels. Falken tires. Sway bars front and rear. Forte hydraulic clutch and mechanical throttle linkage. Scott's Hot Rods triple reservoir. Ceramic coated headers. Gas’n sidepipes. Heated seats. Herb Fraser walnut door panels. Wipers. Console.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm located in Nebraska. A little too far away. Thanks for the offer though.

You are close on the username. It short for Yamaha Brotherhood. I used to ride ATVs a lot. There was a large group of us that went to the dunes together. Almost all of us rode Yamahas except one guy on a Honda 250R. We used to give him a lot of crap about how he should join the Yamaha Brotherhood. He never did. Now he owns a big Honda dealership. LOL.
    I've found that recreational product owners are even more brand loyal than Ford/GM/Dodge/Foreign. For a whole bunch of reasons, not many are willing to trade one for another. And as soon as buddies start getting on you, it just makes some people even MORE dedicated. I like to look for the best products, but I'm definitely a Polaris fan first and foremost. If they don't have a good product, I'm very open to looking at other brands. In the snowmobile world there is relative parity between Polaris, Ski-Doo, Arctic Cat, and Yamaha over the course of several years, though it's very dependent on mountain sled vs. performance vs trail luxury, etc...

Anyhow, good luck with the body buck and the build!

-TJ
    Last edited by Mountain-Metalworks; 06-23-2017 at 08:02 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by jeepurz View Post
    I've found that recreational product owners are even more brand loyal than Ford/GM/Dodge/Japanese. For a whole bunch of reasons, not many are willing to trade one for another. And as soon as buddies start getting on you, it just makes some people even MORE dedicated. I like to look for the best products, but I'm definitely a Polaris fan first and foremost. If they don't have a good product, I'm very open to looking at other brands. In the snowmobile world there is relative parity between Polaris, Ski-Doo, Arctic Cat, and Yamaha over the course of several years, though it's very dependent on mountain sled vs. performance vs trail luxury, etc...

Anyhow, good luck with the body buck and the build!

-TJ
    Yeah, totally agree. Luckily for us all, they are all fun. Thanks!
    Serial #9158