Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Possible Over The Frame Headers For SBC Powered 33 Hot Rods

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Possible Over The Frame Headers For SBC Powered 33 Hot Rods

Hey Gang,

• I saw a couple of new products from Schoenfeld.
    • They are fender-well style headers for the S.B.C.
    • I think it is possible for them to fit the Hotrod, but I'm not that familiar with the 33's chassis.
    • Take a look and see what you think:

http://www.schoenfeldheaders.com/new-products.html

What-Cha-Think?

Steve

NOTE: I've got their IMCA Shortie Headers on my MK-4 so these new federwell header might work and look too cool for school on the beloved 33.

Post Thanks / Like
    Interesting Steve, thanks! Bookmarked for later..
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a really cool set of zoomies with Harley Davidson Mufflers in all eight tubes. I cannot drive it around very comfortably with them because they are too low to clear many things. If I could raise them to exit above the frame it would be perfect.

Headers-13.jpgHeaders-14.jpg

The recommended Headers are not very performance oriented with 2 inch or less primaries.

2016-06-03 14.07.14.jpg2016-06-03 14.07.22.jpg
    Last edited by wrp; 06-22-2017 at 12:15 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nothing with a symmetrical exit that flows straight down from the middle of the head is going to work because of the motor mount. The exits have to go down from between 5 & 7 and 6 & 8. Swept back headers hit the firewall and notice the frame connector on both sides, that requires an bend inward to clear. I had to cut the collectors on the recommended pipes and modify their extension angle to make them fit. Sorry not trying to sound negative. What is really needed is a custom fabricated solution. Just my opinion. Here are some shots I took that point out areas to consider. Some of these proposed might work but will undoubtedly require some BFH encouragement. Might be useful to point out that my car was ordered in 2009 when I do not think SBC options were that prevalent. Accordingly I believe my motor which was a custom install, sits farther back towards the firewall than the average install.

IMG_1368.jpgIMG_1368.jpgIMG_1369.jpgIMG_1370.jpgIMG_1371.jpgIMG_1372.jpgIMG_1373.jpgIMG_1374.jpgIMG_1375.jpg2016-06-02 15.15.57.jpg

This is what FFR recommends http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...rsistYmm=false
    Last edited by wrp; 06-22-2017 at 11:00 AM.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wrp View Post
    Nothing with a symmetrical exit that flows straight down from the middle of the head is going to work because of the motor mount. The exits have to go down from between 5 & 7 and 6 & 8. Swept back headers hit the firewall and notice the frame connector on both sides, that requires an bend inward to clear. I had to cut the collectors on the recommended pipes and modify their extension angle to make them fit. Sorry not trying to sound negative. What is really needed is a custom fabricated solution. Just my opinion. Here are some shots I took that point out areas to consider. Some of these proposed might work but will undoubtedly require some BFH encouragement. Might be useful to point out that my car was ordered in 2009 when I do not think SBC options were that prevalent. Accordingly I believe my motor which was a custom install, sits farther back towards the firewall than the average install.

IMG_1368.jpgIMG_1368.jpgIMG_1369.jpgIMG_1370.jpgIMG_1371.jpgIMG_1372.jpgIMG_1373.jpgIMG_1374.jpgIMG_1375.jpg2016-06-02 15.15.57.jpg

This is what FFR recommends http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...rsistYmm=false
    I deleted my second post since the Truram Exhaust Manifolds obviously won't fit after seeing your photos.
    I don't want to throw folks off thinking that those pieces will fit when they obviously won't
    Seems like it was a lot easier putting a SBC in a MK-4 than in a 33 Hot Rod.
    Good Luck & Happy Hot Rodding!

Steve

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wrp View Post
    Interesting, bot sure if these Jegs are exactly the same but this is what FFR sent me, in their SBC-Fitment-Rev-D.PDF:

Shorty headers – Summit Racing SUM-G9005 or Flowtech 11102.
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19

Post Thanks / Like
    Only difference is the 31102 are ceramic coated

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve, I have enjoyed your posts, like I said I am not trying to be argumentative but fitment is a ***** on these things. I personally think any of your recommendations will work, you are just going to have to nip and tuck or BFH them.

Post Thanks / Like
    If you don't use fenders and running boards i would split two in front and two behind motor mount and come out the side into side pipes. then you could use big piping.
    As i am running full fenders & boards no place to go but in frame, no place to put more pipe, not round maybe?? Will go with FFR for now.

Post Thanks / Like
    P.S you never see BFH listed often enough in these "what tools do I need" threads
    James