Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Advice on MKII Power Steering Conversion

Post Thanks / Like

Advice on MKII Power Steering Conversion

Hello.
    So I'm looking to convert my MKII to PS. I received a quote from Breeze for everything I need to convert. Mark at Breeze has his remote reservoir mounted up on the passenger F panel but I don't have the room there. At least I don't think I do. Mark's design for the MKII mounts the pump on the lower passenger side so I don't want to mount the reservoir on the drivers side. I didn't want to have the hoses run across the engine bay. Breeze's design would move my alternator to the upper drivers side and I'd get rid of the stock belt tensioner. I guess I'm looking for thoughts on reservoir placement. Or any other comments.
    IMG_0016.JPGIMG_0014.JPG
    Last edited by mburger; 06-21-2017 at 09:00 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Breeze also has a driver side PS pump mount.
    http://www.breezeautomotive.com/deta...=668&cat_id=12
    Looks to me like your have room on the driver side for the reservoir. And the ports on the rack are driver side so that seems to be the standard-all on driver side.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Stock Mustang PS Pump & rack work very well. I'd also suggest adding a Hiedts valve for adjustment.
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Craig,
    Looking at the area, I thought I had plenty of room on the driver's side, but Mark at Breeze who has an MKII said, "Our pump bracket is a low mount and will not clear the remote oil hoses or the steering shaft, so we put the alternator there and the pump on the passenger side." I know the MK3 and 4 steering shaft do not get in the way.
    Ideally, I'd like the pump there and reservoir on the drivers side as you suggested. I'd hate to order everything from Breeze only to find out, oops, Mark was right!

Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi MPTech,
    I thought of using the Ford "AC Eliminator" bracket and putting a Ford reman pump right where my existing pulley is and be done with it. I guess I was thinking of cleaning up the front of the engine while getting this conversion done. I've searched the forums and created a parts list from all the other helpful builds/conversion posts. While the Breeze solution wasn't the cheapest, it offers the convenience of one stop shopping. One order and I get everything I need, but there's no benefit if it doesn't fit. I'm also going with a 3 turn LTL rack and the Hiedts valve is probably a good idea. I know some folks cut the spring, but your suggestion gives easier adjustments.
    I tend to over think things if you haven't noticed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Is electric steering an option you would consider?
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    MPTech gave the answer. Mustang PS pump and rack with Heidt's valve for adjustment. Everything fits and works perfectly.

Frank

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Railroad View Post
    Is electric steering an option you would consider?
    I hadn't considered it seriously because I know so little about it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank Messina View Post
    MPTech gave the answer. Mustang PS pump and rack with Heidt's valve for adjustment. Everything fits and works perfectly.
    I'm leaning this way and because Mark at Breeze has been so helpful, I'll still get most of what I need from him.

Post Thanks / Like
    Not trying to argue w/ Mark for sure but...if you can figure a way to put the PS pump on the driver side no need to move the alt and you could still use your tensioner. My MkII has the Breeze driver side mount but a 99 Explorer pump which looks a lot like the Breeze Jones Racing pump. It is no where near the steering column but might be a problem for the oil hoses as Mark says. I see in his pic of of the driver bracket and a pump installed on a car, it is the style w/ the built-on tank which is super wide. Maybe the remote reservoir version would work. See how small a bare pump is.
    http://www.breezeautomotive.com/deta...=667&cat_id=12
    Also, you could perhaps re-drill the holes for the pump to move it up higher on the bracket-looks to me like the pump could be raised at least 1.5 inches. Just throwing out thoughts to try to maker this as easy as possible.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you considered a KRC power steering pump? That's what I used when I converted my Mark 1 to power steering in 2005/2006. The pump mounts on the driver's side. The only issue I had was finding a location to mount the P.S. reservoir; however, I believe that KRC currently makes pumps with integral reservoirs.

Here's an old picture from 2005 during the conversion process.

As you can see, I'm running a V-belt setup. You could check with KRC and see if they have serpentine power steering pump setups.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Jim Doak; 06-23-2017 at 07:48 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you considered a Fast Freddie's kit ( http://www.fastfreddiesfabrications....p?id_product=4 )? It's designed to fit right where your remote oil cooler is now, but it's not hard to modify the pump mount to put it wherever is convenient (say, to one side of the forward X). You'll probably have to modify your oil filter lines, or live with the aesthetics of various fluid lines criss-crossing your engine compartment.

John
    MK IV Roadster #8631
    Ford 302, Holley Terminator EFI, T5z, 3.55 Rear End, IRS, 17” Halibrand Replicas (9” front, 10.5” rear), Nitto 555 G2’s (275/40ZR17 front, 315/35ZR17 rear), Fast Freddie’s Power Steering, F5 Wilwood Brakes, FFMetal’s Firewall Forward, Forte’s Hydraulic Clutch & Throttle Linkage
    https://www.ffcars.com/threads/phile.../#post-4776313

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks everyone for all the suggestions! I looked at KRC and Fast Freddie's as well as a couple other options, and they look like good options, however I decided to go with the Ford Motorsport raman pump along with the Heidts valve and Ford Racing AC Eliminator bracket. Mark at Breeze whipped up a new BOM for everything else I need. I think this is the simplest option for me and keeps everything on the drivers side. No need to change the water pump for a CCW etc. I'll just need a new serpentine belt.
    I will post pics when complete along with a parts list of everything needed for the conversion to help someone else wanting to go this route.

Mark

Post Thanks / Like
    The KRC bracket looks to mount the pump higher than the Breeze unit
    http://www.krcpower.com/ecommerce/pu...racket-kit.asp
    Also it looks like it has a long slot to allow the pump to move to adjust belt tension.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a MKII and used the CFR front dress with a stock Ford pump. Everything clears and works fine. They also usually have a 30% off sale on July 4. Scott

Ipad 060.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mburger View Post
    I hadn't considered it seriously because I know so little about it.
    There is an article on the other forum or you can search YouTube for a video. You can add adjustable p/s to your car for about $150 using your current rack and steering column. You can turn up the boost for around town driving so it is really easy to steer, then drop it down for highway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKzCaEjvJeM

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mburger View Post
    Thanks everyone for all the suggestions! I looked at KRC and Fast Freddie's as well as a couple other options, and they look like good options, however I decided to go with the Ford Motorsport raman pump along with the Heidts valve and Ford Racing AC Eliminator bracket. Mark at Breeze whipped up a new BOM for everything else I need. I think this is the simplest option for me and keeps everything on the drivers side. No need to change the water pump for a CCW etc. I'll just need a new serpentine belt.
    I will post pics when complete along with a parts list of everything needed for the conversion to help someone else wanting to go this route.

Mark
    Just so you know, you already have CCW water pump, maybe you meant to type CW?

Post Thanks / Like
    CraigS - thanks for the link.
    Johnnybgoode - Nice looking engine. I'm checking out CFR Performance.
    joyridin - That is pretty cool. Never heard of that before.
    rich grsc - oops. Thanks for correcting that. Indeed it does turn CCW.