FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Did You Know?

Post Thanks / Like

Did You Know?

The other day I asked how the speedo cable was routed on original 289 FIA cars. Today I got my answer:

"The original 289 FIA speedometers were non-functional. When Shelby American Inc through the homologation process the FIA said a GT category car must have a speedometer, SAI mechanics cut a hole in the dash panel where it would not distract the driver and mounted the speedo less a drive mechanism.

There are a couple of period photos where you can clearly see the speedo and the needle is in the at rest position. There is also a very good video of Ken Miles giving a passenger a ride around the track and the passenger is filming the event, the speedo is caught in the filming with the needle again at rest."

I should have guessed. Shelby would never have bothered to hook up a speedo on race cars.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Cool!

FFR 5369 Pin Drive, IRS, Trigos, Torsen, Wilwoods, FMS BOSS 302 "B" cam , Mass-flo. CA SB100 (SPCN) Registered
    Delivered 4/23/06. "Finished" 4/2012 (still not done!)

Post Thanks / Like
    !!
    818S/C : Chassis #25 with 06 WRX 2.5 turbo, ABS, cruise, PS, A/C, Apple CarPlay, rear camera, power windows & locks, leather & other complexities. Sold 10/19 with 5,800 miles.
    Mk3 Roadster #6228 4.6L, T45, IRS, PS, PB, ABS, Cruise, Koni's, 17" Halibrands, red w/ silver - 9K miles then sold @ Barrett-Jackson Jan 2011 (got back cash spent).

Post Thanks / Like
    I can just hear it now, "but officer, Carroll Shelby never had a speedometer when he built his!" I may have to remember that the first time I get stopped.

Rick

Post Thanks / Like
    Officer: Do you know how fast you were going ?
    Cobra driver: no I don't I was just shifting at the red line. I have a speedometer but just like the real ones it's not hooked up

I don't think that would get you out of a ticket
    I had a friend that answered the question this way..... How should I know the speedometer stops at 85
    That didn't help ether

Chris aka Gromit

Post Thanks / Like
    Bill-

That's a pretty cool bit of trivia! I had no idea, but I think it makes sense really.

Thanks for sharing it!

Regards,

Steve