FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Papa's MKIV Roadster Build - #9115 (Working towards first start)

Blog Entries
    Papa,

You'll start to really enjoy your runs to the auto parts store.
    Do what I explain that your car is a custom race car that will be street legal and then wait for the stupidity to begin.
    When they ask you the stupid questions, answer with precise accuracy by giving them the Make, Model, Year, Engine, Transmission, Etc, Etc, Etc.
    Let the tap on their keyboards and look at their screens, then tap some more until they get frustrated.
    It Gets Better After 10-15 Minutes, Then They Usually Finally Understand & Really Try To Start Listening To You!

Steve

haha, I just had my first episode with the auto parts store with my car. I asked for 1/2-20 open lug nuts. I assumed they'd just have a big bucket of them for me to dip into. But no, they had to know what car it's for. I just sighed and said "it's basically an 1987 to 2006 mustang". The guy struggled a bit and looked at me weird, but he entered something. My family was out waiting in the car so I didn't want to drag it along more than necessary.
    Started dreaming of a Cobra around 1987
    Purchased Complete Kit 6/9/2017, Delivered 9/4/2017
    Click here for my build thread
    Serial #9158
    Design Engineer at BluePrint Engines

While they're called "Parts Guys" they are really "Part Number Guys". Often their knowledge of parts is limited.
    Jim

Ughhh! A couple of weeks ago I was cleaning up the wiring harness attachments and while unplugging my fuel sender, I snapped the retaining clip off. Okay, it happens. I found a replacement on RockAuto.com and after it arrived, I cut the broken one off and attached the replacement. I used heat shrink tubing and taped up the new plug; good as new! When I pushed the new plug on, the clip broke off; same as the last one! One more $18.00 order and I'll try again; maybe warming the plug with the heat gun a little before pressing it on.
    There are 10 types of people in this world;
    those who understand binary and those who don't.

My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754

Third time was the charm! I finally got a fuel sender plug installed without snapping off the retaining clip. I didn't get much else done today as CINC HOUSE exerted her will and I spent most of the day helping her with other tasks.

I did have a few minutes to start looking at the EFI wiring. The power and ground wires for the EFI are too short to reach the battery directly. Has anyone experienced any issues using distribution blocks for stuff like this?

Next I looked at the fuel relay and control harness and it looks like I'll need to get some technical support from FAST or BluePrint. When I was checking the RF harness, I was able to verify the RF relay was working and I could power up my fuel pump. The FAST EFI setup came with a separate relay, but the weather pac plugs on the relay harness don't match up with the main EFI harness.

I'm wondering if I need to use the FAST relay or if the EFI computer really wants/needs to control the fuel pump. Isn't it pretty much just on when the key is in the on and crank positions?

And finally, the sending units for the water temp and oil pressure senders have plugs on them that are the same as the ones on the dash harness I already connected. The RF sending unit harness was what I was planning to use, so I assume I just need to cut the plugs off and wire the sensors to the sending unit harness.

A bit more progress today. I installed the oil pressure sender with the extension recommended. I also connected up the wires from the oil pressure and water temp senders to the sending unit harness. I folded over the two wires for the oil temp and encased in heat shrink tubing. I'm not using an oil temp gauge, but may someday want to do so and this way the wires are handy. I ran a tachometer wire from my coil back to the firewall inside the sender harness and will tie it in with the tachometer/coil wire in the RF EFI harness.

If I'm not running backup lights, can I just tie up the harness on the tail of the transmission, or should I remove it?

I sent an e-mail to BluePrint about my question on the wire harness plugs for the fuel pump relay that came with the EFI setup. I also want to be sure that if I use that relay, I need to cut the loop on the RF fuel pump relay (tan wire).

Any advice on integrating the FAST EFI into the RF harness would be appreciated.

Last edited by Papa; 11-12-2017 at 07:11 PM.

Papa, when you installed your wiper motor, did you you reinforce the fire wall where you mounted it?

Quote Originally Posted by chmhasy View Post
    Papa, when you installed your wiper motor, did you you reinforce the fire wall where you mounted it?
    I didn't. My firewall is insulated with Thermotech mat and with the large bolts and flat washers it feels really solid.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    I didn't. My firewall is insulated with Thermotech mat and with the large bolts and flat washers it feels really solid.
    thanks

Nice work. You are moving along quite fast. I am watching some of your mods. I love the firewall Insulation. It is something you would find on a factory built car. I used a skinnier sensor so I didnt have to utilize that long tube from Ford.

F5R9196 Hand Built 347-450hp SBF FiTech Go EFI 4 T5Z-2.95 8.8LSD-3.73 3-link 13"-2300K PB
    Real men don't use instructions, son. Besides, this is just the manufacturer's opinion on how to put this together.. ~Tim Allen

Quote Originally Posted by TexasAviator View Post
    Nice work. You are moving along quite fast. I am watching some of your mods. I love the firewall Insulation. It is something you would find on a factory built car. I used a skinnier sensor so I didnt have to utilize that long tube from Ford.

Thanks! I was looking at different oil pressure senders and didn't find anything obvious that was compatible with the FFR (Speedhut) Vintage gauges. With the one wire sender, I assume ground is provided via the engine block?

That is correct. When i buy gauges, I will either get a compatible gauge or will build a small circuit to convert the resistance in ohms. It sounds like it may cause a bit more work but I love building circuit boards. This might be a fun little exercise in electronics theory.
    F5R9196 Hand Built 347-450hp SBF FiTech Go EFI 4 T5Z-2.95 8.8LSD-3.73 3-link 13"-2300K PB
    Real men don't use instructions, son. Besides, this is just the manufacturer's opinion on how to put this together.. ~Tim Allen

That is correct. When i buy gauges, I will either get a compatible gauge or will build a small circuit to convert the resistance in ohms. It sounds like it may cause a bit more work but I love building circuit boards. This might be a fun little exercise in electronics theory.
    Or, you could get one that is already built.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sender-conv...-/262975817155

Nice but I was thinking a basic voltage divider or matching the meter to the sensor using an OP amp. It would be nice to use a chip for a bank of sensors. Etc. You doing any electrical engineering or circuit design for your car.

Nice but I was thinking a basic voltage divider or matching the meter to the sensor using an OP amp. It would be nice to use a chip for a bank of sensors. Etc. You doing any electrical engineering or circuit design for your car.
    I haven't done any circuit design since college. Most of my work has been in the communications and RF spectrum area. I have done some work integrating MMICs, ASICs, and FPGAs in the same field for high-end digital receivers, but not actually building any of the devices. I'm currently working on the next-generation GPS ground command and control system as a system integrator and system engineer.

Quote Originally Posted by Papa View Post
    I haven't done any circuit design since college. Most of my work has been in the communications and RF spectrum area. I have done some work integrating MMICs, ASICs, and FPGAs in the same field for high-end digital receivers, but not actually building any of the devices. I'm currently working on the next-generation GPS ground command and control system as a system integrator and system engineer.
    I have been reading about that. I have a Bachelors in Aeronautical Science and many of my undergrad classes were mostly computer science. I have always loved building circuits and anything I cant get my hands on to pass the time when I was a teenager. Now in my late 30's I feel like the paradigm is about to shift after I finish my time in the Air Force. I really want to get into aerospace, R&D, Applied Sciences, or something along the lines of engineering. I dont have an EE or a ME but I would still like to use my MBA towards a company that will allow me to manage projects in the STEM fields.

Not a lot to talk about on my build this weekend. I'm concerned that I may have done some electrical damage while trying to test various circuits using a Power Probe II. I was trouble shooting my wiper circuit and was able to directly power the motor with the probe, but couldn't get it to operate via the switch. While fiddling around with the probe, I think I managed to fry my wiper motor and my gauges light up, but the needles are all off the bottom of the sweep pointing due east on the dial except for the reverse sweep speedo, which is at around 15 mph.

Put the probe down! I am going to need some serious help getting the electrical sorted out, so I hope Doc is up to the task.

On to something else while I try to get over my mistake. I decided to tear my seats apart and install the CobraHeat WarmSeats. I have the leather roadster seats and the installation was way easier than I expected. The only tools I needed were a razor, some spray adhesive, my hands, and a little patience.

I removed the bottom cover completely, but the back I only needed to undo the plastic clips to allow me to slide the heater pad between the cushion and the cover.

Next I used a bit of adhesive to get the pad stuck to the front of the bottom cushion.

I then made a slit in the foam to embed the wiring.

I reinstalled the cover and used spray adhesive to re-attach the cover to the cushion and reassembled the seat with the wires accessible under the seat.

I'm now thinking of how to route the wires so they don't get pinched when mounting the seat. I'm not sure how I'll do that yet, so any recommendations would be appreciated.

That's it for today.
    Last edited by Papa; Yesterday at 09:18 PM.

Nice work today. Good luck with the electrical. Hope you didn't damage anything.

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678