Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Which Engines

Post Thanks / Like

Which Engines

Pardon me if this has been covered somewhere. First off I'm just starting my trek with the 818s. I've signed up for the build class, starting to see what donor parts I need, etc..

My question is, what engines can we use. I see so many different Subarus like WRX, Impreza, Impreza Outback, WRX. And yet there is also the Legacy, Forester, Outback. Are these also valid, at least for the engine. Is it simple as using an engine from 02 - 07 regardless of the car model. What would be really great if the designation such as EJ20, EJ25, etc were noted. For my needs I could use a naturally aspirated engine. How to know EXACTLY which engine to get. I'm looking at Sunshine State JDM and they have a ton of engines, just need to figure out which one.

Thanks
    Glenn

Post Thanks / Like
    First, if you haven't already, read the sticky in this engine forum. It will prime you to the differences.

Most Subaru engines from 2002 through 2007 would be suitable, both NA (naturally aspirated) and turbo. The most important considerations are 1) Get the ECU (and if a 2006-07, the immobilizer module and keys) for this particular engine and 2) engine wiring harness for the engine you are buying. While you may be able to use other harnesses not actually made for your install, for you it would be best to get the correct ones to start with; will save a tremendous amount of time and money.
    ~ Mark

818C S/N 429ES: Start Date 1 September 2016
    2001 NB Miata LS3 V8 440 rwhp
    2004 Miata MazdaSpeed Factory Turbo

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Any EJ motor and 5MT should work.

The only thing to watch out for is the switch to a CAN bus engine harness, which depending on exact model and trim occurred sometime between 06 and 08. All Impreza derivatives switched in '08, I believe Legacys may have switched earlier. Not sure about Foresters.

I believe if you may also need the instrument cluster for some later builds with the immobilizer unit (it's an odometer thing.)

Wikipedia has a pretty good breakdown of all the differences between engines. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subaru_EJ_engine
    The sections on the EJ20 and EJ25 will be most prevalent as that's what Imprezas had from '02 to '07.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the replies. Tons to read up on and learn.