Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: power steering rack extenders

Post Thanks / Like

power steering rack extenders

how much difference do the power steering rack extenders make? for some reason my Canadian completion kit for my Gen 3 coupe did not include them, do I need them.
    David W

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The extenders correct the geometry issues caused by using the stock mustang rack.
    Contact Factory Five and get a pair.

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know what size FF carries as I don't see them in the catalog, but I know Breeze also has them.

The difference? I don't know as I have not installed them as yet but as GoDadgo says supposedly fixes some geometer issues.
    Baghdad Bob

Complete Kit Delivered July 2010, serial @ 7287, Whitby Power Brakes, Whitby Tonneau, Power Steering w HEIDTS PS Valve, Hydralic clutch, 15" Wheels, BFG Tires, 331 stroker w Quick Fuel 650, RPM Heads, Air Gap Intake. IRS w 3.27, TKO-600. FFMETAL Firewall Forward, FFMETAL Dropped Battery Box in Trunk, Enlarged Passenger footbox, Breeze Cubby storage, Breeze Seat Brackets, Herbs Door Panels. Ford ruby red 12 coats.

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mcwho View Post
    I don't know what size FF carries as I don't see them in the catalog, but I know Breeze also has them.

The difference? I don't know as I have not installed them as yet but as GoDadgo says supposedly fixes some geometer issues.
    When I ordered my kit I didn't know if I was going with the manual or power rack.
    Dan, at Factory Five, included them when my car was shipped and explained how they work.
    The length of the manual rack, minus the tie rods, is longer than the power rack.
    That means yo need to extend the ends of the power rack to get the tie rod length correct.
    It allows the joint where the tie rod attaches to the rack to be in alignment with the imaginary plane of the upper and lower control arms.
    It reduces geometry issues and reduces some of the bump steer.
    I've got a set that I'm holding on to in case I add power steering down the road.
    If I'm wrong with this explanation, then please correct me, but that's how I remember the issue being explained to me.
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 06-23-2017 at 02:57 PM.

Director of R&D, FFR Jim Schenck's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you ordered a power rack from us it will have the extra length built in as well now, if you are using a mustang OEM or replacement OEM rack then I recommend using the extenders.
    Jim Schenck
    Factory Five Racing

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks, that confirms what I thought

Post Thanks / Like
    GoDadGo

I was never given a explanation as to the HOW and why they work. Dan Golub is always the guy I try to talk to as he was the I placed my order with way back in 2009.
    Baghdad Bob

Complete Kit Delivered July 2010, serial @ 7287, Whitby Power Brakes, Whitby Tonneau, Power Steering w HEIDTS PS Valve, Hydralic clutch, 15" Wheels, BFG Tires, 331 stroker w Quick Fuel 650, RPM Heads, Air Gap Intake. IRS w 3.27, TKO-600. FFMETAL Firewall Forward, FFMETAL Dropped Battery Box in Trunk, Enlarged Passenger footbox, Breeze Cubby storage, Breeze Seat Brackets, Herbs Door Panels. Ford ruby red 12 coats.

Post Thanks / Like
    joining in a little late (and already posted this in my other thread), but I am using a Flaming River manual rack on my Gen 2 Coupe...do I need to use/find extenders? If yes, what length? 1" or longer? Any help would be appreciated.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here's an explanation from Heidt's. If the pivot point on the tie rod doesn't intersect a line drawn through the upper and lower control arm pivots points, you will get bump steer.

https://www.keepandshare.com/doc19/1...-pdf-493k?da=y

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info...will make some measurements and check it out when I get home next week.