FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: 2nd wheel mounting problem today

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

2nd wheel mounting problem today

After mounting tires on my car I tried rolling it forward. After about 12 inches the right rear wheel locked up. Tried going back but did not have enough room for full rotation. Moved forward again and it popped loose. I found the balance weights laying on the floor behind the car. Apparently the brake caliper was hitting it. Has anyone else had this problem? IMG_0628.JPG
    MK4 delivered 2/24/2017. Complete kit #9023,IRS, Power Steering, Leather, heater, 17" wheels, sway bar ft & rr, tremec 600 and Gordon Levy Racing SBF 427. First start and go kart 8/19/2017. Graduated 1/15/2018
    MK4 #9230 complete kit delivered 1/27/2018. IRS, PS, leather, Tremic 600, SBF 427. Graduation 10/15/2018
    MK3 #5253 donor bought unfinished. SBF 331, T5 Trans.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Never seen a wheel weight mounted in that location. It's easy to check where you have clearance and where it's tight but I'm guessing if the weight was in the normal location and not on the moat wall you'd probably be fine. Since you have the weight, tape it on where it would typically be and see if it clears your caliper. If so, get someone else to balance your wheels.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm with ^ on this one - odd place for the weight to be placed. I'm guessing those are 15" wheels, too.

Move the weight inboard to the flat surface of the wheel near the inner lip (or have the tire shop rebalance them all with the weights moved) and it should clear fine.
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumball View Post
    I'm with ^ on this one - odd place for the weight to be placed. I'm guessing those are 15" wheels, too.

Move the weight inboard to the flat surface of the wheel near the inner lip (or have the tire shop rebalance them all with the weights moved) and it should clear fine.
    These are actually 17" wheels and tires. Came mounted and balanced from FFR. I will experiment with different location. And then have it balanced at a shop.
    MK4 delivered 2/24/2017. Complete kit #9023,IRS, Power Steering, Leather, heater, 17" wheels, sway bar ft & rr, tremec 600 and Gordon Levy Racing SBF 427. First start and go kart 8/19/2017. Graduated 1/15/2018
    MK4 #9230 complete kit delivered 1/27/2018. IRS, PS, leather, Tremic 600, SBF 427. Graduation 10/15/2018

Post Thanks / Like
    I haven't run into this specifically but have had similar problems. Reinstall them and find a position where they will clear. Then use a marker to indicate this position only to the balancer operator. 17s on the 15 IRS are a very tight fit.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    I haven't run into this specifically but have had similar problems. Reinstall them and find a position where they will clear. Then use a marker to indicate this position only to the balancer operator. 17s on the 15 IRS are a very tight fit.
    Took your advice and mounted the weights in various places starting from the inside moving outward. Got rubbing from tearing the weight out to just a nick the size of a eraser. Going to find out if there are thinner weights available. Any other suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, 2 possibilities. 1-While it's not as sophisticated a balancing process you can just static balance which, instead of inner and outer weights, puts just one set of weights on usually at the inner lip area. Most of the good machines can be used in a static mode by making a selection in the settings. This may be just fine for the rears. 2- Another option is a wheel spacer. Since the inside of the wheel is, in general, a cone shape, moving it outward opens up clearance. You would probably need longer studs though to go to 1/2 inch which is what I have. you could try a 1/4 in spacer by using a couple of washers to see if that helps. If it does, you may not need longer studs.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Where on the caliper is it hitting? You may be able to clearance the caliper by hitting it with a grinder.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Larger wheels / smaller brakes are the obvious fix or even different calipers with the same rotors. These are costly options so it's understandable you're looking for an easier way out. Spacers are an option as CraigS pointed out and minor relieving on the caliper might be an option but this one should be approached with caution. Before spending a bunch of money you may try using Equal balancing bags or something similar. On larger tires you can't balance them using conventional methods. My F550 uses Equal and it works. It's basically a measured amount of silica in a bag that opens up after a few miles and the grains are distributed around the tire where they accumulate on the lighter portion of the tire. Centrifugal force holds them in place until you stop and the process starts over again. It's inexpensive and unobtrusive as no external weights are added to the wheel. The important thing to remember is to use the special cores that are longer and have a shield on them. A tire store that works on trucks will have the bags. They are specific to tire size.

Post Thanks / Like
    Tungsten weights for pinewood derby cars are about twice as dense as lead, about 1/16" thick.