Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Help me build my FITECH system

Post Thanks / Like

Help me build my FITECH system

I'm interested in running the FITECH system on my future engine which will be a 5.0 based 306, 331, or 347. With FITECH in mind, what is the best route to build my fuel system? Electric in tank mustang pump? External pump? FITECH fuel commander? Will the kit supplied fuel lines work?

Post Thanks / Like
    1. make sure whatever FiTech system you get will accommodate the horse power your motor will make. example, if your going to be making around 400 HP, don't get the Go Street EFI -400HP, rather bump up the the EFI 4 600 HP unit
    2. Fuel cell must be vented
    3. External/Internal fuel is fine just ensure it is adequate (call them). I am running a internal pump from Breeze.
    4. The Fuel Commander Center is overkill and you would be hard pressed to fit it in a Roadster engine compartment regardless.
    5. No need for a fuel regulator as the fuel pressure as it's built in
    6. Fuel pump relay is built in but you can also use the Ron Francis Harness provided circuit if you plan that option
    7. 30 micron filter is required ahead of the FiTech unit
    8. I set mine up with a return line and plumbed the fuel return feed as 3/8th SS. (331 stroker)

I found planning the fuel system not to be the biggest challenge, rather, picking the right distributor. This becomes very complicated as the option to have or not to have controllable timing is involved. You can download their installation documentation and study the various schematics provided (dizzy setup, fuel layout, etc). I kept it simple, two wire dizzy, and standard MSD coil. Wiring can be tricky when you get into Plug and Play distributors and a spark box.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RickP View Post
    1. make sure whatever FiTech system you get will accommodate the horse power your motor will make. example, if your going to be making around 400 HP, don't get the Go Street EFI -400HP, rather bump up the the EFI 4 600 HP unit
    2. Fuel cell must be vented
    3. External/Internal fuel is fine just ensure it is adequate (call them). I am running a internal pump from Breeze.
    4. The Fuel Commander Center is overkill and you would be hard pressed to fit it in a Roadster engine compartment regardless.
    5. No need for a fuel regulator as the fuel pressure as it's built in
    6. Fuel pump relay is built in but you can also use the Ron Francis Harness provided circuit if you plan that option
    7. 30 micron filter is required ahead of the FiTech unit
    8. I set mine up with a return line and plumbed the fuel return feed as 3/8th SS. (331 stroker)

I found planning the fuel system not to be the biggest challenge, rather, picking the right distributor. This becomes very complicated as the option to have or not to have controllable timing is involved. You can download their installation documentation and study the various schematics provided (dizzy setup, fuel layout, etc). I kept it simple, two wire dizzy, and standard MSD coil. Wiring can be tricky when you get into Plug and Play distributors and a spark box.
    Great info, thanks. I didn't realize the fitech doesn't need an external regulator. I've just started reading more on FITECH, but it seems we can use a distributor out of an '85 carbed mustang and let FITECH control the timing?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bguetter View Post
    Great info, thanks. I didn't realize the fitech doesn't need an external regulator. I've just started reading more on FITECH, but it seems we can use a distributor out of an '85 carbed mustang and let FITECH control the timing?
    The regulator is built in. A savings feature IMHO. Every dime counts, right? It comes with a "controller" which is a little LCD about the size of a small iPhone. It allows for initial setup, real time read out, and certain MAP settings can be modified after the fact, such as rev limit etc. You can leave it plugged in OR plug it in and after start up, throw it in a drawer.

The distributor and wiring schematic I followed was a very carefully considered choice. I did not see a benefit or a need to have my timing controllable. That ended me buying a Pertronix 2 wire dizzy and a coil. It gets tricky when the timing control is figured in. I can't advise on the distributor your referencing. I had an MSD billet plug and play distributor from my 87 donor, and I can definitely say this will not work in ANY confirmation for a FItech. That particular distributor has a factory trigger pickup and is specific for a OEM Ford harness. Now your getting into what wiring your providing the engine bay.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have fitech on my car and used the MSD 6al-2 programmable ignition box for timing. I would use the stock intank mustang fuel pump, MSD 2 wire distributor, 6AL-2 programmable ignition and the 600 HP non power adder fitech for your setup.

stack
    FFR MKI Roadster FFR2202K Built in 2000 sold
    FFR Hot Rod #39 under construction