Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: New member from Alabama (B'ham area)

Post Thanks / Like

New member from Alabama (B'ham area)

Greetings!
    Been reading the forum for a while and I joined today. Trying to gain enough info before ordering my first FFR project car. I'm a recently (early) retiree from a large construction company and looking for a challenging "hobby" and have always been a closet muscle/sports car lover. The FFR thing looks like it may be what suits me, fits some of my skills and interests.

I would really like to find out about any other Alabama folks that are building or have already built cars. Maybe I could set up a meeting or two to get some first-hand insight.

My first (of many) actual question is related to the end of a build. Obviously, I will want to actually drive my car (legally) on the street after I finish it. I'm sure you guys from Alabama have already gone thru this, and maybe its a simple process, but I can't seem to get a straight answer on my own...

How is a privately built car registered with the State of Alabama, i.e. who issues the VIN, is there a safety inspection, is it registered as a vintage car or a new one, any driving restrictions, etc, etc? It seems the answers could/would affect how you order the build from FFR (features), insurance requirements, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Plimpton View Post
    Greetings!
    Been reading the forum for a while and I joined today. Trying to gain enough info before ordering my first FFR project car. I'm a recently (early) retiree from a large construction company and looking for a challenging "hobby" and have always been a closet muscle/sports car lover. The FFR thing looks like it may be what suits me, fits some of my skills and interests.

I would really like to find out about any other Alabama folks that are building or have already built cars. Maybe I could set up a meeting or two to get some first-hand insight.

My first (of many) actual question is related to the end of a build. Obviously, I will want to actually drive my car (legally) on the street after I finish it. I'm sure you guys from Alabama have already gone thru this, and maybe its a simple process, but I can't seem to get a straight answer on my own...

How is a privately built car registered with the State of Alabama, i.e. who issues the VIN, is there a safety inspection, is it registered as a vintage car or a new one, any driving restrictions, etc, etc? It seems the answers could/would affect how you order the build from FFR (features), insurance requirements, etc.
    I'm in Auburn. Just recently completed my build and am very familiar with the registration process. I'd be happy to answer any questions. My thread is in my signature. I'll message you my contact info.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm located in Mount Olive AL., just north of Birmingham AL. This is my second personal build, the first was an early MK2 and now I'm working on a MK4.

Just starting the Fuel and Beak plumbing.

Welcome to our madness!

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the quick replies!

Wareaglescott, I've read thru several pages of tour build record...pretty impressive. I think it will be a big help for me as I go along. And, I look forward to getting the scoop on registration.

Lowrod, I'm in Mt Olive, too! I hope we could meet up one day and chat. I promise, I won't be a pest. How can I pass on my contact info to you?