Boig Motorsports

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Sun shade

Post Thanks / Like

Sun shade

Seems like I remember somebody in Arizona used to make and sell sun shades for roadsters, does any one know if they are still doing them?

Thanks
    Walt
    FFR8237 Donor build 89 GT , MK 4 , T5 , 17 " hallibrands 9" front 10.5 rear ,4×4 headers stainless mufflers, dual chrome roll bars, coil overs all 4,A/C and heater , soft top, 3:55 gears.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's who made mine, but I don't think he's making them anymore. https://sites.google.com/site/dougsroadstertops/
    Send him a message.
    Mk3.1 Complete kit #6846 Delv. 12/20/08-- Finished 2/11/11, 89 302 EFI,T-5, 3-Link, 17" Halibrands, Nitto 555 245-315 tires, widened drivers footbox w/ dead pedal, extended passengers footbox,Sapphire Blue Met & Wimbledon White stripes,radiator stone guard shield, Build blog http://jimsffrcobrabuild.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Cobrajj it looks like he's not doing them anymore the order page is not avaliable on the Web site, do you like yours and use it?
    Walt
    FFR8237 Donor build 89 GT , MK 4 , T5 , 17 " hallibrands 9" front 10.5 rear ,4×4 headers stainless mufflers, dual chrome roll bars, coil overs all 4,A/C and heater , soft top, 3:55 gears.

Post Thanks / Like
    He quit making them as he started another business that was taking all his time. I have his email address. Maybe if we got enough orders together he might be willing to make a batch.
    Doug
    FFR 7995
    347 SBF Prestige Mototsports, Moser 8.8 (3.31) 3 Link, TKO 600, Nitto 555s, 17" Halibrands, PS, AC, Heat, Color Redfire Pearl, with Wimbledon White Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I'd be interested as well.
    F5R #7446: MK4, 302, T5 midshift, 3.55 Posi IRS, 17" Halibrands
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    Bobby Doug,

Doug used to live here in Vegas and I know him well . . . if you have his email address, I'd send him a message and see if he might be willing to send you the build plans, since I don't believe he is making these any more. Myself, and a few other F5 guys, are working (individually) on a "Bimini" style top (shade) and should have some working models soon. Check both forums for "Bimini Top". FWIW, Doug's top was originally made for his DUAL Roll bar car and won't fit on a single roll bar car, to the best of my recollection. I don't know if Doug ever went ahead and designed one for a single . . . THAT was the only thing keeping me from buying from him. It was an excellent product and Doug is a "perfectionist" about his work. There was a lot of R & D that went into Doug's top, and it showed it.

Doc
    FFR3712K (MKII) in Lost Wages Nevada.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like there is some interest in them!

Post Thanks / Like
    I'd be interested too.
    JRL16
    Mk4 delivered 4/28/16. First start 10/15/16. First gocart 11/10/16. Engine Factory 427W. 750 carb. Tremec TKO600. 2015 IRS. Power steering. Whitby power brakes. Wilwood brakes. 18" wheels. Falken tires. Sway bars front and rear. Forte hydraulic clutch and mechanical throttle linkage. Scott's Hot Rods triple reservoir. Ceramic coated headers. Gas’n sidepipes. Heated seats. Herb Fraser walnut door panels. Wipers. Console.

Post Thanks / Like
    I would love a decent, good looking 'Bimini Top'.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a little history for those inclined to tackle this project . . .

In order for the end product to be feasible for every one, it would need to be mountable on all cars - single, dual and or NO roll bar. It would need to be tested to speed - 60, 70, 80+.

Adding up the material list, it looks like about $300-$350 in shade material (Sunbrella or Vinyl) and all hardware (Aluminum or Stainless Steel) to create a frame.

Then you need a way to attach the frame to the car without asking owners to drill holes in their new paint jobs. Some guys have used the soft top farrells used to mount the rear part of the soft top just behind the door. This would require a very small diameter rod for framing . . . Most Bimini's on boats use either 7/8" or 1" tubing

You need a way to attach the shade to the front windshield frame - a "bow". The soft top uses two over-center latches that attach to the windshield frame but are costly. You also need to create a rear attachment point(s) to provide "tension" to stretch the cover material over the frame.

Doug used to sell his shades for $500+ and would make custom covers (different colors or added stripes) for additional costs. And - it would only fit dual roll bars cars. I believe they were vinyl.

Just my 2¢ - but - pretty close to the way I'm building mine.

Doc
    Last edited by Big Blocker; 07-03-2017 at 12:23 AM.
    5.0 w/tubular GT-40 EFI, E303 cam, Custom 4 into 4 headers, T5, 3-Link 3.73 rear. Full F5 tubular suspension. Drop Butt mod, Dash forward mod, custom foot box air vents, custom turn signal system. 13" PBR brakes, Fiero E-Brake mod, Flaming River 18:1 rack w/ F5 bump steer kit on Breeze bushings. 17" Chrome Cobra "R's" w/ 275 fronts and 315 rears. MKIV seats. FORD Royal Blue w/ Arctic White stripes.

Post Thanks / Like
    I install mine the end of June and remove it after the hottest weather subsides in early October. Works great to provide welcome shade protection from the intense sun here in So Cal. The sides and back are open , allowing maximum air flow. There is no pressure or pulling on the windscreen as with a regular fabric top that traps air at the rear window.
    Mk3.1 Complete kit #6846 Delv. 12/20/08-- Finished 2/11/11, 89 302 EFI,T-5, 3-Link, 17" Halibrands, Nitto 555 245-315 tires, widened drivers footbox w/ dead pedal, extended passengers footbox,Sapphire Blue Met & Wimbledon White stripes,radiator stone guard shield, Build blog http://jimsffrcobrabuild.blogspot.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Update,
    It seems the email address I had for Doug was linked to his website which is not active.
    Doug
    FFR 7995
    347 SBF Prestige Mototsports, Moser 8.8 (3.31) 3 Link, TKO 600, Nitto 555s, 17" Halibrands, PS, AC, Heat, Color Redfire Pearl, with Wimbledon White Stripes

Post Thanks / Like
    Based on 10 yrs w/ my APE hard top, I can recommend either it or a soft top that will allow rear window removal. My top never comes off the car, the windows go on and off depending on temp.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bobby Doug,

You might be able to track Doug down thru the Utah Cobra Owners Club. Also, you could try sending a PM to Chuck Robertson or Bart Carter (might be on other forum). Sorry I don't have more info . . .

Doc

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I'm still alive and well. It's really amazing how interest in this top comes up every several years. When I first started making these there was a lot of interest and I sold quite a few of them. Then it slowed down and then a couple of years later interest revived and I made a few more. And then again it died. And then the job situation changed and I wasn't able to make the time to do it.

And Doc is correct, I never made the time to come up with a solution for single or no roll bar cars. Doc, if your working on a solution for that it would be great! The market for cars with dual roll bars is limited and if you came up with a solution for the rear mount, it would open up a much larger potential for customers. I'm not sure that I want to get back into making the entire top again but I may consider building the front bow again for those who may want to take a stab at building their own.

The front bow is tricky as the front bow has to be bent with a compound curve to match the top of the windshield. I don't recommend it for someone making just one. It take a lot of attempts to get it correct. Which translates into a lot of time and wasted materials. And a descent tube binder isn't cheap either.

I'll send you a PM Doc.
    Doug Rosier
    FFR #4737. IRS, Dual Roll Bars, 427w, TKO, Wilwood Brakes, Mass-Flo Fuel Injection, Bullit Wheels, a Bimini Top and Plenty of Fun!

Post Thanks / Like
    Does anyone have a picture of one on a car?

Post Thanks / Like
    There are pictures of his top on his website referenced in post #2. https://sites.google.com/site/dougsroadstertops/.

To see the installation of Doug's top - his video from a few years back. https://sites.google.com/site/dougsr...install-videos

Doc
    Last edited by Big Blocker; 07-03-2017 at 12:19 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Doug,

I am currently working on a top for any car - one, two or no roll bar. I could sure use your past experience with a few things. Mostly questions about attachment points and wind loads. I think I have the solution worked out but prototype is still in the works.
    I'm on both forums and you can call me any time you have a few minutes to discuss. 7 Oh 2 - 830 - 19 sixty 9.

Doc
    Last edited by Big Blocker; 07-03-2017 at 12:21 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Doug, I might be interested in a front bow!
    Walt

Post Thanks / Like
    I can't believe I've been in Cedar for 3 years not and I still don't have my shop completed. Been working on it a little more seriously for the last month or two but it will be another month or so before I'm ready to start any projects. While sorting thru all the boxes I'm finding some of the patterns for the tops. I have not found a complete top yet but I' know I have at least one here somewhere.

I need to source materials again. The main thing is the metal and being able to find a reasonable supply place. I may have to bring it up from Vegas to get decent pricing. FYI, the main part of the front bow is made from 1/2" square steel. I think I saw something above about using aluminum.... while it's totally possible it will be substantially more expensive than the steel. I looked at using aluminum back when I started this but I wasn't able to find a supplier in the Vegas area that had the material at a reasonable price.

Doc, I'll try to remember to give you a call tomorrow. I'd do it now but cell reception is really bad here at the house (but the views are great!)
    Doug Rosier
    FFR #4737. IRS, Dual Roll Bars, 427w, TKO, Wilwood Brakes, Mass-Flo Fuel Injection, Bullit Wheels, a Bimini Top and Plenty of Fun!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thanks Doug and please keep us posted.
    I have 2 RollBars and would be very interested in the front bow, plans, and/or any other information you'd be willing to share or sell.
    This is something I've been thinking of designing for the last couple years and kind of wanted to attack the project this coming winter.
    Thanks Again!
    Delivered 4/4/11, First start 9/29/12, Licensed 4/24/13, off to PAINT 2/15/14!! Wahoo!

Post Thanks / Like
    This is how my sun shade turned out, wife and i did a 9 hour day last Saturday and it worked great!

Walt20170811_203209-1600x900.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    If you get a soft or hard top that the rear window is removable, you have a sun shade and a top. My APE top is always on. Windows on or out depending on weather.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    This is how my sun shade turned out, wife and i did a 9 hour day last Saturday and it worked great!

Walt20170811_203209-1600x900.jpg
    Wow nice work Walt!
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you, wife sewed the vinyl for me and did a very nice job of it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Walt,

We need more pictures . . . how it's attached to front windshield, attachment to rear roll bars, internal ribs? let's see what you put together, we're really interested.

Doc

Post Thanks / Like
    Doc, i will try to get some pictures of my frame this weekend and post them.
    Walt

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Walt, that would be GREAT!!

If mine comes out anywhere near as perfect as yours' did, I will be very happy . . . yours looks exactly like I pictured mine in my head when I started working on the idea of a shade. Nice job, excellent detail, WOW is all I can say . . .

FWIW, I figured out how to bend the front bow and now I'm working on the rear bow(s) for any car (no rollbar, single, dual or full width). Issue I'm working on is seat placement, or rather what seats will cause a mounting issue for the rear bow.

Doc

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought of making one like this. When the car is back together.
    http://www.ffcars.com/forums/43-off-...op-thread.html

Post Thanks / Like
    I would be interested in Bimini/shade also.
    JR
    Last edited by jrcuz; 08-19-2017 at 03:30 PM.
    Mk4 complete kit #9059 ordered 1/19/17 delivered 3/23/17, 2015 IRS, Fortes/DART347,TKO 600, hyd clutch, P/S, 12.88 wilwood brakes front and rear, heater/defrost and vintage gauges
    First start and go-cart 4/11/18. Taken To Whitby Motorcars Greensboro, N.C. 2/5/21 for body/paint

Post Thanks / Like
    Here are some photos of the front bow the mount on the roll bars and of the complete frame, the top bows are 2 piece and the sides, front and rear are 1 piece, i figured if we wanted to remove it while we were out the front and rear could stay mounted.20170819_140217-1280x960.jpg
    20170819_140202-1280x960.jpg20170819_140151-1280x960.jpg
    My idea was i wanted it to look like a regular top with out sides.Walt

Post Thanks / Like
    Heres a better picture of the whole frame!

20170819_141908-1280x960.jpg

Walt

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Walt.
    I now know I'm going in the right direction with my "Bimini style" frame ideas - three bows and the windshield bow make four.

I now know how to attach my frame to a car with NO rollbar and should have a working model in the next few weeks.

Your inspiration has been invaluable, thanks!

Doc

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Doc, i thought about moving the lower rear bar to infront of the roll bars and having 2 square tube on each side go into a mount that was bolted to the rear panel to the 1 inch tube were the shoulder harnesses come through , with a head rest attached to each side to protect from hitting them, i still may look at it later.

Walt

Post Thanks / Like
    That's pretty much what I'm working on now, the lower mount for the rear bar. I have my seats bolted to the floor all the way back so I'm running out of space to mount anything. May have to move seats forward about 3/4". Actual location I'm looking at is the 45° small triangular aluminum panel that connects the rear (shoulder harness openings) panel/bulkhead to the door strike piece. Might be just enough to make a small footprint mount for an upright stud to anchor the rear bow. I need to check to see if there is substantial steel behind that area. Admittedly, I got this idea from looking at a friends Backdraft Cobra - that's how Backdraft mounts their soft top bows.

Once again, yours looks GREAT!, I love the stripes to match the car . . .

Doc

Post Thanks / Like
    MPTech did Doug ever get with you on the front bow, plans, and/or any other information you'd be willing to share or sell.
    Looking to build one myself. Any info would be helpful and appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    No, I don't think I received anything further on these plans (checked my Notifications/Inbox and emails).