FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: "Legality Windshield"?

Post Thanks / Like

"Legality Windshield"?

Hey Guys. It appears that the highway patrol in Washington state will require a windshield for a car to be street legal. I don't really WANT a windshield on my 818r, so I had a thought. (And then checked the assembly manual). It appears that the windshield is mounted using 2 bolts per side. Would it be possible to mount it via some sort of quick release, and just take it off at the track?

Am I thinking crazy thoughts again?

Post Thanks / Like
    Not crazy, just out of the box. Fabricating some sort of slot for the windshield to slide in and be clamped down some how seems possible.

Post Thanks / Like
    frank it depends on what they define a windshield to be. You could mount a smallish motorcycle fairing/windshield and that might meet the definition. That would be easy to remove, but you might actually like having it.
    "Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"
    Owner: Colonel Red Racing
    eBAy Store: http://stores.ebay.com/colonelredracing
    818R ICSCC SPM
    2005 Subaru STI Race Car ICSCC ST and SPM
    Palatov DP4 - ICSCC Sports Racer

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    John George's (now Mike Forte's) Challenge Roadster has a setup like that. Saw a picture of it on John's website never got around to asking if it was custom fab. Anyway it doesn't even use bolts has a device that works like a Celco. Hopefully one of them can help you out.

Post Thanks / Like
    .... ..
    and the best example:
    "Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"
    Owner: Colonel Red Racing
    eBAy Store: http://stores.ebay.com/colonelredracing
    818R ICSCC SPM
    2005 Subaru STI Race Car ICSCC ST and SPM
    Palatov DP4 - ICSCC Sports Racer

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flynntuna View Post
    Not crazy, just out of the box. Fabricating some sort of slot for the windshield to slide in and be clamped down some how seems possible.
    That's my middle name! Frank "out of the box" Rizzo. :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.Gator View Post
    frank it depends on what they define a windshield to be. You could mount a smallish motorcycle fairing/windshield and that might meet the definition. That would be easy to remove, but you might actually like having it.
    I had one just like that on my Ariel Atom, but I'm a tall guy, and they did NOTHING for me. I remember "measuring", and I would have needed 3 fingers more height to get ANYTHING from it. But, that's the beauty here, I could have one fabbed up to be the size that I wanted.

On a related note, a friend had his Atom inspected by the WA Highway Patrol, and they didn't say a WORD about his windshield. That could be either because they thought it was OK, or they figured there was enough other stuff there that wasn't going to pass, that the windshield was the LEAST of his worries.

(The bubbles in question)
    Atom.jpg

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    Back in the Day, there used to be a "Brooklands" sytle windshield used for racing rodsters, google it. Here is what I found:

There was a sport car Track outside of London UK< called the Brooklands track.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...ield&FORM=IGRE
    Last edited by mcwho; 07-02-2017 at 07:02 PM.
    Baghdad Bob

Complete Kit Delivered July 2010, serial @ 7287, Whitby Power Brakes, Whitby Tonneau, Power Steering w HEIDTS PS Valve, Hydralic clutch, 15" Wheels, BFG Tires, 331 stroker w Quick Fuel 650, RPM Heads, Air Gap Intake. IRS w 3.27, TKO-600. FFMETAL Firewall Forward, FFMETAL Dropped Battery Box in Trunk, Enlarged Passenger footbox, Breeze Cubby storage, Breeze Seat Brackets, Herbs Door Panels. Ford ruby red 12 coats.

Post Thanks / Like
    I planned on using the Brooklands windshield behind a Lexan racing shield if the height and width of the glass met Connecticut rules.

Post Thanks / Like
    To me, you're WAY overthinking things here.

Why not just run the 818 street windshield? In my opinion, the lines of the car look far better with it, than without it anyways.

And that goes double if you're going to run a large rear wing - the car just looks "out of balance" front to rear without it.

Post Thanks / Like
    More out of curiosity in the case of building a solution to have a removable windshield solution to get it registered in WA, would the additional requirement for windshield wipers be a temporary attachement only for registration purposes?