Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Door Latches

Post Thanks / Like

Door Latches

I remember reading somewhere a post by EdwardB about a "trick" used to attach/install the door latches. Just wondering if there is a more straight forward way of doing other than what the manual says to do. Also wondering what folks are doing to mount them to the doors temporarily if planning to drive their roadsters in gel coat for a bit before paint/final body work. I suspect my doors will not reside in their final place once a body man gets to them.

Rick

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know about a trick. But I can describe how I mount them that seems to work pretty OK. The credit for this approach really has to go to Jeff Kleiner. That's where I saw it first. First make sure the latches are working properly. Make sure the pin from the handle assembly fully seats into the latch. Not unusual to have to open up the hole a bit for the pin. Also if you haven't seen the carriage bolt mod many of us do, suggest you do that as well. http://www.linger.com/cobra/DoorLatchRepair.htm

The doors need to be installed and close to their final position. The height is probably the most important. The post can be adjusted in/out, but not so much up and down. But if you install the doors the proper height compared to the body, pretty unlikely that's very different than where your body man places them.

To mount, first install the post on the chassis tab. Then clip the latch onto the post, and close the door against it. Use this to find the right location for the door latch assembly. You may need to adjust the location of the post a bit, and typically they need some washers or spacers to get the latch assembly properly located. You also may need to bend the tab on the frame a little so that the door latch sits flat against the door. That's very important. Likely you will also need the laser cut steel spacer FF provides for under the door latch assembly. Adjust the post and tab until you're happy with the door latch location. Then mark and drill the holes in the door and attach it. It should open and close and latch correctly at that point. HTH
    Last edited by edwardb; 06-28-2017 at 09:09 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Rick,

Here's something I posted here back in 2013 regarding how I modified my latches to improve their durability and reliability. Hope this helps.

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...y-and-function
    Later,
    Chris

"There are no more monsters to fear, and so, we have to build our own."
    Mk3.1 #7074

Post Thanks / Like
    Between edwardb and Chris (as well as the posts they linked) it's all covered and I didn't have to do hardly any typing!!!

Paul/edwardb, since you changed your avatar it's taking me a while to get used to it and realize who I'm talking to

Jeff

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by edwardb View Post
    I don't know about a trick. But I can describe how I mount them that seems to work pretty OK. The credit for this approach really has to go to Jeff Kleiner. That's where I saw it first. First make sure the latches are working properly. Make sure the pin from the handle assembly fully seats into the latch. Not unusual to have to open up the hole a bit for the pin. Also if you haven't seen the carriage bolt mod many of us do, suggest you do that as well. http://www.linger.com/cobra/DoorLatchRepair.htm

The doors need to be installed and close to their final position. The height is probably the most important. The post can be adjusted in/out, but not so much up and down. But if you install the doors the proper height compared to the body, pretty unlikely that's very different than where you body man places them.

To mount, first install the post on the chassis tab. Then clip the latch onto the post, and close the door against it. Use this to find the right location for the door latch assembly. You may need to adjust the location of the post a bit, and typically they need some washers or spacers to get the latch assembly properly located. You also may need to bend the tab on the frame a little so that the door latch sits flat against the door. That's very important. Likely you will also need the laser cut steel spacer FF provides for under the door latch assembly. Adjust the post and tab until your happy with the door latch location. Then mark and drill the holes in the door and attach it. It should open and close and latch correctly at that point. HTH
    Thank you Paul, exactly the reference I was looking for. I didn't know if the method came from you or Jeff, I just remember reading it at one point.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumball View Post
    Rick,

Here's something I posted here back in 2013 regarding how I modified my latches to improve their durability and reliability. Hope this helps.

http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...y-and-function

Thank you Chris. Came across your thread a few weeks ago and applied the method you so graciously provided.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post
    Between edwardb and Chris (as well as the posts they linked) it's all covered and I didn't have to do hardly any typing!!!

Paul/edwardb, since you changed your avatar it's taking me a while to get used to it and realize who I'm talking to

Jeff
    I noticed Paul changed his avatar and it's throwing me for a loop as well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kleiner View Post

Jeff
    Jeff/Paul,

should I mount the latch to the door with pan screws or rivets or.....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RickP View Post
    Jeff/Paul,

should I mount the latch to the door with pan screws or rivets or.....
    disregard. The package of bolts, washers etc. pretty much tells me the method of attachment.

Post Thanks / Like
    I used nutzerts on mine although the bottom screws were very close to the edge of the metal box FFR puts in the doors. I think Paul had another way to attach the bottom screws.
    JRL16
    Mk4 delivered 4/28/16. First start 10/15/16. First gocart 11/10/16. Engine Factory 427W. 750 carb. Tremec TKO600. 2015 IRS. Power steering. Whitby power brakes. Wilwood brakes. 18" wheels. Falken tires. Sway bars front and rear. Forte hydraulic clutch and mechanical throttle linkage. Scott's Hot Rods triple reservoir. Ceramic coated headers. Gas’n sidepipes. Heated seats. Herb Fraser walnut door panels. Wipers. Console.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use nutserts as well. 10-32. My go-to size. I just prefer machine screws over sheet metal screws. Agreed they might get close to the edge of the underlying metal though. Wasn't a problem on the first two builds. But for whatever reason the Anniversary build had a couple that were too close and one that missed completely. I used T-nuts in those locations on the underside of the laser cut spacer before bonding it to the door with HSRF. I always bond it anyway before paint. Then it gets painted in and looks more finished IMO.

Sorry about the changed avatar guys. Didn't mean to cause waves. Figured it was time for a change.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.