BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Potential Donor...could use opinions!

Post Thanks / Like

Potential Donor...could use opinions!

Hi All, Long time lurking and watching build threads. I've been getting ready for a kit car for a long time and I think it's about time to pull the trigger. The 818 being the gorgeous machine that it is has had me watching out on occasion for WRXs. I just saw this one:
    http://https://portland.craigslist.o...188305944.html
    I'm taking a look at it tonight, but any advice would be handy. I've been into cars a long time, but I'm pretty new to WRX's specifically. Main appeal to me is a basically new crate short block!

Thanks much for opinions and/or suggestions on things to look for and ask!
    Last edited by crashprone; 06-28-2017 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Hopefully fixing the link!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    CP,

Welcome to the forum. You need to expand the link so it's visible to the rest of us.

Thx,

Henry

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! I think in trying to fix this using my phone, I managed to delete my own starting post! Impressive work on my part! Mental note: Just use a laptop. It's way easier.

Anyway, I've been long time stalking this site and I've got a potential donor car. I'd planned to see it tonight, but it didn't end up working out. Looks like I'll be out there to see it Friday though. So all that to say/repeat, I would love if the old hands at this had suggestions/questions/things to look out for! I'm not new to cars/automotive stuff, but WRX's are new for me. I've been lurking around here quite a bit, so I think I know a decent bit of the basics, but if anybody sees anything in particular or any red flags, I'd love to learn more.

Thanks everybody!

https://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/cto/6188305944.html

Hopefully the link works this time!

fasterer and furiouser longislandwrx's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Lot of good parts in those pictures/listing

You could easily get most of your money back selling the non needed parts.

Red flags...

1 Price seems low for what you are getting, seems like a partout on a forum would fetch more money, but then again this guys in the boondocks and maybe doesn't want the shipping hassle.

2. Also never trust a Subaru engine that someone put together in the garage, maybe take the money you are making back and have it reassembled at a reputable builder.

3. Does he have the title? It says race project so it could be a written off car with no title. Does Oregon require to show origin off all parts on a constructed vehicle?

edit, title says salvage on there so make sure you carefully research the registration process.
    A well stocked beverage fridge is the key to any successful project.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    As a personal preference, I'd never buy a project in pieces. Too many chances to confuse parts and not only cost yourself way more money to make it right but also drive yourself to insanity diagnosing and disappointing yourself when your sweet new STi block lets go because you accidentally installed the old injectors that couldn't keep up. Would definitely factor in taking it to a reputable shop and have them look over and do the final assembly of the motor.

I know that Subarus and parts vary wildly across the country but going off local Michigan prices $4K seems reasonable.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks much for the responses! I'm pretty nervous too about a project in pieces. Unfortunately the guy bailed on my yesterday, so I'll be seeing the car Friday now, but those are some good things to watch out for. For here in Oregon the price seems reasonable or low. Salvage title and disassembled are discounting it a good bit, I think.

Oh and on the engine, yes, definitely. I'll be planning to take it to a machine shop for a full inspection and/or reassembly. No reason not to really. I was planning on the same procedure for any WRX I pick up for an 818, so it's already in the budget.