Forte's

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: DIY Accessory Brackets

Post Thanks / Like

DIY Accessory Brackets

When it came to accessory brackets(alternator and PS pump only) I once again found myself consumed by a combination of fewer options than I expected, and not being happy with what was available. My LS engine runs the Cadillac CTS-V balancer which is extremely short and close to the block(a very good thing). Unfortunately it REALLY limits the factory and aftermarket options for accessory drive brackets since most LS engines are in Camaro's, Corvettes, and truck/SUVs with a different balancer alignment.

My biggest challenges were 1) finding brackets for only Alt, PS, and tensioner, 2) all with the correct back-spacing, 3) keeping things tucked in nicely with the block and not hanging way out(aesthetics...), and 4) having the right "look" for the car(all personal opinion). While taking sanity breaks from making my custom headers, I decided to just make my own brackets. My plan was to mill them from 6061 aluminum so I first grabbed dimensions of the bolt holes from the block. I made some extremely crude center-marking pins from bolts I cut up, threaded them into the correct holes, held a thin plate up to the bolts, and tapped on the plate with a hammer. This left a small indentation which gave me the exact location of each bracket's holes.

I then measured my pin marks and plotted them in Fusion 360(CAD software). I grabbed the dimensions from the alternator and GM type-II PS pump and got those bolt holes as well. I sketched out some ideas, then created 3D models for transferring to a CAM software for the CNC.

Short term I can't get to my buddies shop to mill them so I took 2D drawings and traced them on 1/4" steel plate. A few hours with an angle grinder and disc sander and I had my brackets in steel.

I have the Eastwood powder coating setup which has been extremely handy over the years for these kinds of projects. 25 minutes baking at 425* and my brackets are done! I cut some thick-walled aluminum tubing for the proper spacers and think I have the belt completely aligned to about .010" which is well within spec. I can now get things installed to check for belt length and move closer to getting this engine started for the first time!

Just like making the headers, this really wasn't difficult, only time consuming. I have $10 in plate steel and probably $12 in angle grinder disks. The rest of the tools were all extremely basic to make these in steel. The CAD/CAM software was only needed for milling them in aluminum later, and 100% not necessary for this first prototype.

In the end, if you can't find what you want, MAKE THEM! I've seen some really creative brackets with rod ends and other nice adjustment features. It all comes down to creativity. Anyone else with a similar set of homemade brackets?

-TJ

Post Thanks / Like
    No brackets but a couple of months ago I brought home an old Atlas lathe. I have been making shock spacers from .5 ID 1.0 OD al tube from mcMaster. Buying the already drilled tube really speeds up the process.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CraigS View Post
    No brackets but a couple of months ago I brought home an old Atlas lathe. I have been making shock spacers from .5 ID 1.0 OD al tube from mcMaster. Buying the already drilled tube really speeds up the process.
    I'm jealous of anyone that has equipment readily available in their own garage. Where did you get the lathe? Private seller, auction, or ?
    I have an Enco mill(like a Bridgeport) and an old lathe but they are sitting in my buddy's tool and die shop about 30 minutes away since I'm renting a townhouse right now. I can't even get 230V power much less 3-phase for the big stuff. I can get a 110V single to 3-phase converter but my landlord with crap a brick if he came over and saw a mill in my garage...

-TJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Not a bracket but I built a new shifter handle and powder coated it. I keep finding things to powder coat now that I have the Eastwood system.

IMG_6536.JPGIMG_6537.JPG
    CVOBill
    MK2 #???? Delivered 11/2002, Finished and Titled 6/2003 5.0, T-5, 4-Link, Sold 3/2005
    Hot Rod #304 purchased 5/28/2017 from original owner Unassembled . Titled and plated 8/24/2017 Coyote,
    TKO, 3-Link, Heat, A/C, Electric Power Steering, Convertible top
    MK4 #9524 Picked up 1/18/19 306 Blueprint, T-5, 4-Link, Gas-N Pipes, Heater

Post Thanks / Like

Installed

I'm still waiting on a longer bolt for the idler pulley but was able to get everything mounted and the proper belt. Can't wait to get this thing fired up!

-TJ

Post Thanks / Like
    I'v lost track of all the things I'v had to fabricate to make my cars do what I want them to do.

Currently, I'm trying to fit a Coyote in to a Backdraft. There's even less room than in a FFR! I'm going to have to fab new brackets for the alternator, and flip it around backwards. It's a pain in the neck with the engine in place. But it's such a pain to get the engine in to begin with, I don't want to pull the engine back out just to fab a new mount.
    .boB "Iron Man"
    NASA Rocky Mountain, TTU #42, HPDE Instructor
    BDR 1642: Coyote, 6 Speed Auto, Edelbrock Supercharger
    Member: www.MileHiCobraClub.com
    www.RacingTheExocet.com