BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Looking to install a sound system

Post Thanks / Like

Looking to install a sound system

I am thinking of installing a sound system on my roadster FF MKIV, working through my iphone and blue tooth. Any suggestions for placement of speakers. I am thinking of two 6.5 inch speakers side by side between the seats and a couple 4 inch speakers under the door. The amp will be in the trunk and I will mount a blue tooth device in the dash that communicates with the iphone and amp to change volume, advance tracks etc. I am wondering whether the side speakers will actually be able to be heard over the exhaust. Any feedback will be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Anytime someone starts one of these threads people chime in and say you cant hear it while driving. I will say this I bought a pretty nice bluetooth speaker for $100 and just throw it in my passenger seat when I am driving alone and play it from my iPhone. I can hear it just fine. I cant give you any speaker recommendations but if you want a system go for it!
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks I am looking for something a bit more permanent since my wife will be riding with me and we both love to hear music as well as the exhaust system

Post Thanks / Like
    I installed a very similar system to what you're describing in my Mk4 build #7750. Nice Infinity head unit, Alpine power amp, Polk Audio marine rated speakers in the rear cockpit wall and under the doors. Sounded great. We used it two times while driving in the two seasons we cruised in the car. That was it. Both times we listened for awhile, but then shut it down. Has to be extremely loud to be heard over the side pipes, wind noise, traffic noise, etc. After not very long it's just not pleasant having that loud sound in addition to everything else. Additionally, when we were in traffic and especially at stoplights, we were entertaining all the cars around us. I don't appreciate when others do that, and didn't want to be one of "those guys." It ended up being a really nice sound system when I was working in the garage, and I used it quite a bit then. But there are better ways to have a garage sound system.

Earbuds like many use would be another choice. I'm personally very happy to do nothing but drive, even on long cruises. So I don't want/need music in my ears, plus there is a question about just how safe/legal that would be. But earbuds might be the better choice for your wife.
    Last edited by edwardb; 06-29-2017 at 12:35 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I run an IPod and earbuds. I can still hear sirens and other cars but the wind and exhaust are dramatically reduced. I don't drive w/o some form of hearing protection other than for really short (5 min) low speed runs. Hearing loss is permanent, tickets are short term. Never had an officer comment, or take any notice in 60k miles.
    Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    You may want to go WarEagleScott's route first, in order to see if it will be something worth making a more expensive and permanent investment in.
    MK4 #9028 - Coyote - TKO600
    Delivery: 1/30/17 First Start: 7/23/17 Legal: 10/5/17 Graduated: 10/15/18
    Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...8-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim1855 View Post
    I run an IPod and earbuds. I can still hear sirens and other cars but the wind and exhaust are dramatically reduced. I don't drive w/o some form of hearing protection other than for really short (5 min) low speed runs. Hearing loss is permanent, tickets are short term. Never had an officer comment, or take any notice in 60k miles.
    Jim
    careful with earbuds as they are not legal in all states. I'm with Paul, i installed a pretty good system but don't think i have used it 3 times in 11000 miles. My wife uses her ipod with earbuds so i have added a usb port for charging. As for me i have installed flowmaster slimlines which my neighbors and i love and i have a set of decibulz moldable earplugs for the wind buffeting at higher speeds. my next one will not have a stereo system.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Scott, someone suggested the same idea as yours when I was thinking of adding a sound system. There are millions of Bluetooth speakers out there. What are you using? And would you recommend it?
    Finally started my build the beginning July. 2015!

Post Thanks / Like
    Jim
    Hey Jim. Your point is well taken. Hearing protection is very important. My wife and I always wear ear plugs when we cruise. Didn't mean to suggest otherwise with my post. We use Etymotic Research ER20's, which cut the sound level but still allow conversation, etc. While driving, my preference is to not have anything additional in my ears like music, whether legal or not.
    Last edited by edwardb; 06-29-2017 at 01:20 PM.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ear buds are illegal in Ca. What else is new. but I was looking at the Etymotic HD-Safety earplugs+earphones. This company comes highly rated by music aficionados .https://www.etymotic.com/consumer/he...ction/hd5.html

Post Thanks / Like
    David, I was in your place a few months ago. Spec'd out something nearly identical. I got the same advice you are receiving. I chose to pass on the sound system. To Jim1855's point, I already have the high frequency hearing loss, so I like the idea of earbuds. I use Etymotic's products and strongly recommend them.
    Mk IV Roadster - #8650 - delivered 7-17-2015 - first start 7-28-2018 - first go-kart 10-13-2018 - licensed and on the road 9-9-19: body/paint completed 3-17-2020.
    Complete kit / 2015 Coyote / TKO600 / IRS / Wilwood brakes / Mid-Shift mod / Power Steering / Heater and Seat Heaters / RT turn signal / Breeze radiator shroud and mount

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the feedback. I have my doubts about the install. Is anyone happy with their sound system?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Braven Bluetooth Speakers. Amazing sound. Pairs together for stereo sound. Charge them on ac but they power on for 28 hours. I have the BRV HD's. About 600 for the pair. Looks like they upgraded these to Braven 2300's for 700 for the pair. Nice thing about them is I am using them now in my yard during yard work or on a camping trip or as I will go to car shows, they will be with me apart from the car.
    Last edited by RR20AC; 06-29-2017 at 02:18 PM.
    20th Anniversary MK4 Roadster, #8752, 18 of 20, Delivered 12/03/15, 1st Start 01/28/2017, off to paint 4/13/2017, Forte 351w/ Holley EFI, Forte throttle linkage, TKO 600/Forte Hyd. Clutch, UniSteer Electra Steering, RT's turn Signals, many Breeze parts, Paint by the Jeff Miller. Finished on 10/08/2017. 500 mile inspection on 10/21/2017, 3000 mile inspection on 1/14/19.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by chopthebass View Post
    Hey Scott, someone suggested the same idea as yours when I was thinking of adding a sound system. There are millions of Bluetooth speakers out there. What are you using? And would you recommend it?
    I am using a JBL flip 4
    http://www.jbl.com/bluetooth-speaker...=Black#start=1

I am also wearing my decibullz molded earplugs. I am really not one that cares about high quality stereo sound. I just want to have some tunes going. The speaker sounds fine to me but certainly would not pass everyones muster. Paul makes a good point about the loud music at stop lights. That is a factor. Luckily for me I hit about 1 or 2 lights depending on my route and then I am out on rural country roads with minimal traffic and no lights. The pipes are so loud the music isn't much more bothersome I doubt. I am actually in the process of getting some slim lines to install and may reevaluate my speaker plan after I quiet the car down. Probably still will use the same speaker just at a lower volume.
    MK4 #8900 - complete kit - Coyote, TKO600, IRS - Delivered 6/28/16 First Start 10/6/16 Go cart - 10/16/16 Build completed - 4/26/17 - 302 days to build my 302 CI Coyote Cobra - Registered and street legal 5/17/17
    Build Thread http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...e-build-thread
    PHIL 4:13 INSTAGRAM - @scottsrides

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a Kenwood stereo for $120 from best buy (Has blue tooth, CD, Radio and aux input) placed a pair of 5 inch speakers behind the driver and passengers seat. Most importantly I got Breeze Quiet Pipes, otherwise don't bother with a radio. The Breeze quiet pipe mod give the car a rumble while still allowing you to drive without ear plugs. Not for everyone but good for me because I love my tunes.

Cheers Kpt

Post Thanks / Like
    they make bluetooth amps now as well, so you can skip the head unit entirely if you want a "clean" install. Then you just use your phone as the head unit. That's the route I took in my 818. (if bluetooth amps existed when I built my Roadster, I didn't know about them).

Post Thanks / Like
    I spent the time, effort and $$ to install a permanent system in my MkIV. The face plate of the deck is mounted in a console under the dash. Front speakers on either side of the console and the rear speakers in the back wall of the cockpit. The deck, amp and satellite receiver is in the trunk. I soldered CAD5 cable to the pins on the faceplate and connected to the deck in the trunk. A ton of work. And at the end of the day, the road noise makes it sound like turd at any speed. Above 40 MPH forget it. Cant hear it. For a simple system, use your buds. Next car, NO STEREO

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi folks,

Thanks for the advice. Based on the things on the comments made on this thread I decided not to install a permanent sound system. Instead, I picked up a Bose blue tooth speaker and placed it under the dash. Using my Iphone with downloaded radio app and spotify I am getting very decent sound and importantly saved a bucket load of money. Thanks. DC

Post Thanks / Like
    My 2 cents
    I am not a fan of earbuds, ever !!!!

unless you are home. Walking or driving with them in your ears my opinion is dangerous.
    I have been looking at a system by Retrosound and summit sell it, it had a face plate that is small, looks OEM, and the rest can be hidden in the trunk or elsewhere, kinda pricey, I am thinking 4 speakers.

see link

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_068LBB...e-Buttons.html
    Last edited by mcwho; 07-02-2017 at 04:16 PM.
    Baghdad Bob

Complete Kit Delivered July 2010, serial @ 7287, Whitby Power Brakes, Whitby Tonneau, Power Steering w HEIDTS PS Valve, Hydralic clutch, 15" Wheels, BFG Tires, 331 stroker w Quick Fuel 650, RPM Heads, Air Gap Intake. IRS w 3.27, TKO-600. FFMETAL Firewall Forward, FFMETAL Dropped Battery Box in Trunk, Enlarged Passenger footbox, Breeze Cubby storage, Breeze Seat Brackets, Herbs Door Panels. Ford ruby red 12 coats.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks very nice but question is whether one can really appreciate any sound system with the level of wind and exhaust noise in the vehicle. I was about to cut some holes for speakers and install a fairly decent system when it became apparent that several of those with a similar system seemed to regret their install due to the difficulty in actually hearing the sound while driving. See comment from Dave Howard above (#17)

Post Thanks / Like
    In the 7+ hours of seat time that I had driving to F5 Open House this month, not once did I think to myself "I wish I had some music to listen to". A set of Etymotic protectors kill the harsh wind and road noise, but leave enough to enjoy the 8 piece orchestra with 2 horns solo.
    FFR6243RD, MkIII, 3.55, IRS, pin-drive width, carb'd 351W, T5, 1/2 dropped butt, Fortes hydraulic clutch, deep dish AC-III wheels by Team III. 9 year build; NY registered 7/18/2016 - "Sweet 16" winner at 2016 Taconic State Nationals 5 days later ... in 'rough as hell' gel coat for the foreseeable future! Build Blog - Leave me a comment!

Register your car with the Factory Five Cars Rule! mobile app available from the app store

Post Thanks / Like
    I spent 12 hours in the Cobra coming back from the London Cobra show last weekend. Over the counter earplugs are fine for 'Cruising", but for "touring" on the interstate at 70-80 mph I recommend custom ear plugs from audiologist. The type used in industry for hearing protection. They perform far better than any over the counter plug and will make your ride far more enjoyable.
    Like Paparazzi, not once did I wish I had music. Too many other things to enjoy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just ordered a pair. i will let you know how they sound. Thanks for your helpful advice

Post Thanks / Like
    Jim
    That is what I do, if I happen to notice LEO I pull the left one out and act like its an ear piece for my phone. In cold weather I wear full headphones under my hoodie and Rain shell excellent sound. BTW on average around the town drives no real need for music but, always on those long runs on hiways.
    Roadster Mk3 5294, 302 Comp XE276HR cam, AFR 185 heads, 650 Quick fuel carb, Air Gap intake, T-5 3.55 gear Levy Upper & Lower Front and Rear control arms Purch Jan 2008 Tagged Mar 2012 Best ET 12.14 @113** SOLD 4/8/18 **
    YouTube Videos: Current performance - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7c...86xO3U4l4RtVMQ Older build - http://www.youtube.com/user/joeembery#p/u My Pics:
    http://s207.photobucket.com/user/Joe...?sort=6&page=1

Post Thanks / Like
    I was looking at these for the highway. They let you plug in an iPod or other music source and then you can interrupt the music and talk when you need to without shouting.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LLNJ2HC...d=TU1R4N1KFE6A
    My Build Thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...ter-Build-9754
    (Most viewed Roadster build thread on this forum!)

Delivered: 6/17/2017
    First Start: 12/30/2017
    Completed: 12/7/2019
    Legal: 1/30/2020

Member of the Mile-Hi Cobra Club
    Dave's Cobra YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCbk...npK1UZHj4R-bYQ
    Agora 1:8 Scale Cobra Build: https://thefactoryfiveforum.com/show...l-Build-Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    I use the largest JBL Bluetooth speaker on the market. Holds 12 hour charge. Size of a football. Sits between the seats. I hear it through the foam ear plugs I always wear. $375 Canadian. More than enough.

Post Thanks / Like
    I ordered the JBL bluetooth speaker from Amazon. should arrive today. Time for a drive