FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Ran out of gas. Now car won't start. (After adding more gas)

Post Thanks / Like

Ran out of gas. Now car won't start. (After adding more gas)

I ran out of gas the other night . Was trying to calibrate the fuel gauge as it was not reading properly so was letting the gas get lower. Gauge said I still had between 1/4 and 1/8. Anyway I added about a gallon then cycled the car about 3 times, on,prime fuel pump, off. Then tried starting it but wouldn't start. Tried this a few times with no luck. Ended up getting it towed home. Not sure what to try next? Add more gas and try again? Suggestions?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Fuelpressure okay? Sometimes when you run out of gas you can damage you fuelpump! Or your fuelline blocked because of dirt?

Post Thanks / Like
    If you have no fuel pressure, try briefly reversing polarity. This will often free up the pump.
    MKII "Little Boy". 432CI all aluminum Windsor. .699 solid roller, DA Koni shocks, aluminum IRS, Straight cut dog ring T-5, 13" four piston Brembos, Bogart wheels. BOOM!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    You can also get an air lock in the fuel lines.
    I've had that happen. I took off the fuel line at the engine and used an air compressor to gently blow the lines clear back into the tank.
    Might be worth a try.
    FFR 7123 tilt front, Levy 5link/wilwoods/LCA's, webers.
    SL-C, LS3 525, Mendeola SDR5,

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    With the GTM having the 2 tanks and the plumbing in-between them, I would try adding another 5 gallons of fuel to make sure the circulation is working and primed.

Henry

Post Thanks / Like
    No fuel pressures. Will try these suggestions when I get back home after the long weekend.
    Any other thoughts appreciated.

East Coast Speed Machines Erik W. Treves's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had this one mine. Line split in the tank so fuel pump could not pump fuel out of the tank
    FFR 1879, Blown DSS 306,REDLINE management, VeryCoolParts Tuned 460RWHP

FFR 818S, The Flash, Chassis #5, 2.0L, LSD, Electromotive TEC-S, VCP Tuned, 278RWHP 265 RWTQ

FFR 6651, Green Lantern, 408W Crate, Hellion 66mm Turbo, JGS Waste gate / Blowoff valve, Tec-GT management, VCP Tuned, 575 RWHP, 690 RWTQ

FFR 8335, Black Mamba, 289 FIA CSX 2001 tribute car, 347, 48 IDA webers, VCP Tuned, 311 RWHP 386 RWTQ, 3-link, Trigo's

FFR 0004, Gen 3 , Hawk Coupe, Coyote twin turbo, 683 RWHP 559 RWTQ, IRS, VCP Tuned. "not too shabby"

US ARMY Maintenance Test Pilot (CW4 Retired)

Post Thanks / Like
    I would try adding more fuel. The fuel pump pick up and suction to the pump are about 2" higher than the bottom of the tank. Make sure you are adding fuel to the tank that has the fuel pump connected to it (passenger side). With the cross over tube from one tank to another you would have to add a lot more fuel to get the fuel over to the pump suction and high enough.
    I think you would have to add about 6 to 8 gallons to get it high enough.
    Last edited by Edgeman; 07-02-2017 at 07:35 PM.
    GTM #370
    Car was completed and I have SOLD my car
    http://edgemansgtm.weebly.com/index.html
    Doing what you like is freedom - liking what you do is happiness
    later,
    Doug

Post Thanks / Like
    I've had my pump run dry with plenty of gas in the tanks! I parked on a sideways slope with the fuel-pump side high. By the time I returned to the car all the gas flowed to the low-side tank and had none above the pick-up on the high-side. I had to push/coast to a flat area to get the tanks to even out before I started. Now I always keep at least 10 gallons in the tanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Success! Added another 20l (5 gallons) and she started. Thank you everyone for your help. Much appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Congrats D! Glad to hear she's running again.

Henry