FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Canton oil pan headsup on small problems

Post Thanks / Like

Canton oil pan headsup on small problems

Don't have my kit yet but in the mean time I am prepping my Coyote for a smooth installation in the future. I ordered my drivetrain from Forte and received everything in a timely manner. One change I did notice when I received everything was a Canton oil instead of a Moroso pan ok not a big deal both quality pans and the Canton was for a Coyote gen 1 and gen 2. When I went to put the pan on it would not sit flat on the gasket/windage tray. If I slide it back 1/4" it would sit flat but the bolt holes wouldn't line up hmmm. Well after some investigation I saw that the hump on the windage tray near the flywheel preventing the wide lip on the Canton pan from sitting flat. image2.jpgIn the pictures you can see where I rubbed the pan against the tray to leave marks, to see what the interference was.image5.jpg Well pulled the pan and the pickup back out. Then starred at the gasket/tray and thought maybe I don't want to take it off. But something had to be done. So I took a putty knife and wedge between the block and the gasket. Luckily it is only RTV in the four corners just to keep it in place. Once it was off I took a die grinder to the it and relieved just enough to let it site flat and holes to line up. image4.jpg Also FYI the new Gen 2 grate engine does not come with a oil level sending unit in the pain and does not have the wiring for one, at least that is what I am seeing. So looks like I have to order a 20mm x 1.5 plug to plug up the pan. I looked at Edwardb's build log he has a Gen 2 but his came with a one and the wiring for it. In the picture I put an arrow on where the wiring is suppose to come out at. Well kind of a long winded story but wanted to let others in the future using the crate Coyote what to expect. IMG_1811.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Paul2STL; 07-01-2017 at 09:39 PM.
    MKIV #9122 Ordered kit 5/24/17 received kit 8/11/17 MK4 Base kit +,First Start 4/7/18, First Go-Cart 4/22/18, In gelcoat, licensed and driving 8/11/18. Coyote gen2, T-56, 2015 IRS 3.31, 17" Halibrand replicas w/Nitto NT555 G2, Withby Motorcars power brake kit W/Wilwood pedals, 04 Cobra front brakes, 15 Mustang rear brakes with mods, power steering. Paint Jeff Miller Da Bat, Lexus Spectra Blue Mica W/Toyota Silver Sky Metallic strips. Build thread: http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...Paul2STL-Build

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for posting.
    I just ran into the same problem with my Canton pan. Also from Forte.
    I used your solution and all is good. I also had to cut off the alignment tabs on the sides of the tray, the flat mounting surface of the new pan is wider than the old one.
    Now, just have to get that plug ordered.
    Build 1: MkIV Roadster #8675. Deliv: 8/15/2015.
    FFR MkIV complete kit. / 5.0 Coyote Motor / T56 Magnum Trans / 2015 IRS / 18' Halibrand w/Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 Tires
    FFMetal: Firewall Forward, Trans Tunnel top, Battery Box, Fan Shroud
    Russ Thompson: Turn signal Assembly, Trunk Box Mod.
    Breeze: SS Roll Bars(2), Power Steering rack, and much more.
    Mike Forte: supplied 5.0 Coyote & T56 Magnum Trans