Midwest Classic Insurance

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Front or rear sump?

Post Thanks / Like

Front or rear sump?

Ordered a Mk4 kit 2 weeks ago. I am going to put a Ford Motorsports 427w engine in it. Ford offers this engine with a front or rear sump.
    https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6007-Z427FFT
    https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-6007-Z427FRT
    The front sump has a 9 qt capacity and the rear sump has a 7 qt capacity. I am leaning towards the rear sump for better ground clearance, as the front sump looks like it would hang
    quite low. I don't have the kit yet, so I don't even know if both would fit in the Mk4. Any suggestions or input from anyone who has either of these engines would be great.

I

Post Thanks / Like
    I think they would both physically fit. I would go with the shallowest pan you can get.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Have the same engine; was confronted with the same choice. If you look at the engine specs you'll find that the depth of the pan on the rear sump engine is 8.7", while the front sump variant measures 8.1". In order to avoid having the pan hang down below the frame rails you really want the depth to be no more than 7.5". So the M-6007-Z427FFT will be marginal and the M-6007-Z427FRT is just plain too tall.

I ended up swapping the pan out for a Canton 15-690, which measures right at 7.5".

Post Thanks / Like
    I only bought an X427 (figured I can get the heads later if I "need" the extra 75 hp), but the X and Z use the same pans. Both front and rear will hang below the frame rails. Just like Karlos, I got the Canton 15-690 and it fits perfect. I got mine from Breeze as it includes the pan, pickup, dipstick, seals and pickup gasket. No pan gasket, but you should be able to reuse yours if you're careful. Breeze 351 oil pan

427 and trans.jpg
    ---Boyd---
    MkIV #9042 build thread
    www.boss427.us
    427W, TKO600, Moser 3.55 rear.
    Delivered Feb 2017, Graduated Nov 4, 2019

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 427w (Dart block, QuickTime bell housing, Canton oil pan), with a front sump. The pan is basically level with the frame. The bell housing is the lowest part of the package by an inch or two.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If Brute Force doesn't work, you're not using enough of it.
    Basic Stuff: MK4 Complete Kit #8439, Wilwood's, 17" Halibrands. Extra Stuff: Stainless brake and fuel lines, Breeze cooling, Battery mount, SS Roll Bar. Old Fart Stuff: Heater, Seat Heaters, Footbox Fresh Air, Stereo, Keyless ignition, Power Steering, Hyd Clutch.
    Young & Dumb Stuff: 427w Dart, TKO600, 3 link Moser M9/Ford 9", 3.5:1, Eaton TruTrac Posi. Graduation Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the info - does it come with the pickup