Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Humbling Moment

Post Thanks / Like

Humbling Moment

I've commented in the past about how most of us will never realise the full potential of our cars due to our limited driving skills....myself included. Well, this became quite evident (again) for me yesterday.

Background --- While at a car show on Saturday (Canada Day), a fellow stated how he'd love to see the car at the drag strip. "You need to run the car at the drag strip in Bonfield". I didn't give it much thought.

Yesterday we were out for a drive to the east of North Bay Ontario when we saw a sign for the turn off to Bonfield. Within 10 minutes we had found the drag strip and was surprised to discover there was a "test and tune" day going on. The track manager was extremely nice and toured me through the facilities. It didn't take much coaxing to persuade me onto the starting line. I had to go through a tech inspection and sign a waiver of course. Now, I'm thinking this will be easy. Its like a London Cobra Show Charity ride, right? NOT. I took it easy off the start, not knowing how the car would react to the super sticky track. WOW. The car shot off the line and pulled like crazy. Adrenaline and G-force made me feel light headed. The shift to second was slow and before I knew it the 1/8th mile was done. The next few runs were, well to say the least - SCARY. Wheel spin off the line. Wheel spin down on the track. And the protective wall seamed so close. I got some great advice from the track crew but found the experience was a mental and emotional drain.

So, hats off to drag racers out there. Not as easy as it looks. I'll be back to try it again. Another great driving experience for me.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Dave Howard; 07-04-2017 at 12:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    First taste is free kid....next time is gonna cost ya....you'll be back....they always come back......you know you want it. lol, enjoy the rush ! life's to predictable in the slow lane...da bat

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by j.miller View Post
    First taste is free kid....next time is gonna cost ya....you'll be back....they always come back......you know you want it. lol, enjoy the rush ! life's to predictable in the slow lane...da bat
    ^^^^^So much this.

I was the same way with my first taste of a real track. Hooked for life now.
    Jonas

Check out our build blog - https://vjjfactoryfive.wordpress.com/
    FFR Type-65 Coupe 720
    London Ontario Canada

Post Thanks / Like
    57 years after the first NHRA run & its still fun.
    Kevin
    MKIV #8234
    Coyote '14/TKO-600/3-Link 3:55 Rear
    I love the smell of 100 octane in the morning.
    NITTO NT01 275X40X17ZR - 315X35ZRX17
    Delivered 2/7/14 - Plate "COYOTE NC1965" 3/25/15

Steve >> aka: GoDadGo
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    The drag strip bug bit me very early, 1978 when I turned 15 and rebuilt my 1st engine (With Expert Help) at a little race shop pushing a boom and pick up tools after school, known as: Ken's Racing Services.
    It was at that time that I got truly indoctrinated in the joys of drag racing and fell in love with the the 1/4 mile and to this day I still find myself on Wednesday nights for test and tune and King of The Hill Competition.
    With that wonderful memory shared, I recommend that every Factory Five owner to come down for Cruising The Coast, which is the biggest and longest block party in the country.
    It happens the 1st Week of October and Gulfport Dragway opens their facility up to the cruiser to make 1/8 mile passes.

https://cruisinthecoast.com/

https://www.gulfportdragway.com/

Now that you've been bitten by the Factory Five & Drag Racing Bugs, consider flying South this fall.

Steve (54) Going On 15 Once More!
    Last edited by GoDadGo; 07-04-2017 at 11:35 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hit the 1/4 mile 40 years ago at 18 years old running a comparatively slow 13 second car at Indianapolis Raceway Park. Still haven't gone into the 10s but it's always a blast! Next on your agenda needs to be to get laps on a road course. It's drag strip adrenaline to an order of magnitude!

Jeff