BluePrint Engines

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Fuel System

Post Thanks / Like

Fuel System

Running a stroked 351 with a carb, do I need a return line to tank, and if so, how? Lost please help!

Post Thanks / Like
    Depends on what pump you use but as a general rule, no.
    99/2000 NASA PSO Champion-2005 west coast FFR challenge series Champions
    Sponsor Tony B's 2007 ST2 National Championship
    2009 NASA TTC runner up-2010 NASA TTB runner up

Post Thanks / Like
    It might be easier to run one now, in the event you change over to EFI. Some regulators, even for carbs, utilize a return line.
    20th Anniversary Mk IV, A50XS Coyote, TKO 600, Trunk Drop Box, Trunk Battery Box, Cubby Hole, Seat Heaters, Radiator hanger and shroud.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mine only has 1 line from the tank to the mechanical fuel pump. Agreed it would be easier to put in the return line now even if unused for possible future EFI. Future EFI would also need electrical work.
    JRL16
    Mk4 delivered 4/28/16. First start 10/15/16. First gocart 11/10/16. Engine Factory 427W. 750 carb. Tremec TKO600. 2015 IRS. Power steering. Whitby power brakes. Wilwood brakes. 18" wheels. Falken tires. Sway bars front and rear. Forte hydraulic clutch and mechanical throttle linkage. Scott's Hot Rods triple reservoir. Ceramic coated headers. Gas’n sidepipes. Heated seats. Herb Fraser walnut door panels. Wipers. Console.

Post Thanks / Like
    With your 351, you should upgrade the size of the feed line also.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Like Gordon said, depends on what pump you use. But before determining what pump to use you need to know how much fuel you need to supply the carb. Specifically, the rate of fuel burn so you can determine the supply rate at the required pressure. From there you can size the fuel line(s) and pump as well as determining if you need a regulator and a return line. For a garden variety SBF with moderate power and used on the street you're probably better off using a simple engine driven OEM style diaphragm pump. But again, you need to know the burn rate to select the correct size mechanical pump and verify your fuel line is sized correctly.

Post Thanks / Like
    A couple of you have mentioned up sizing the fuel line. How much? I am getting a 351W based 427, @500 HP. What size fuel line should I, and the gentleman above, use? I assume the line provided in the Roadster kit is insufficient. It will have a Holly 750 with mechanical pump initially but may upgrade to EFI in the future so I do plan on installing a return line (unused for the time being).

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like we have the same engine and carb BB767. Got mine from engine factory and they told me to use 3/8 line. I bought the fuel tank single feed line from Breeze and it's a 3/8 tube also.
    JRL16
    Mk4 delivered 4/28/16. First start 10/15/16. First gocart 11/10/16. Engine Factory 427W. 750 carb. Tremec TKO600. 2015 IRS. Power steering. Whitby power brakes. Wilwood brakes. 18" wheels. Falken tires. Sway bars front and rear. Forte hydraulic clutch and mechanical throttle linkage. Scott's Hot Rods triple reservoir. Ceramic coated headers. Gas’n sidepipes. Heated seats. Herb Fraser walnut door panels. Wipers. Console.

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let’s assume your naturally aspirated street engine burns .5lbs of fuel per hour per horsepower at WOT. 500HP x .5lbs = 250lbs/hr burn rate. Convert that to GPH by dividing 250 lbs by 6.2 lbs (weight of a gallon of gas) and you get ~40 GPH average burn rate at WOT to produce 500 HP. However, you’ll want some margin there so let’s add 25%, which will get you to 50 GPM. So you need a pump AND fuel supply system that will supply your carb 50GPM of fuel at 6 to 8 PSI if running a carb. Remember, if you are looking for an electric pump make sure you review the pump curve at the voltage you have to the pump.

Now what size fuel line do you need? You have to account for pressure drop when sizing your plumbing needs. Let’s look at two popular size fuel lines that might be used on these cars; specifically -6AN (3/8”) and -8AN (1/2”). We’ll compare pressure drop of 14’ of fuel line and 50 GPH flow rate. The -8 will drop ~0.5 PSI in that length and the -6 will drop twice that. So if the pump will put out 50 GPH at 8 PSI your 3/8” fuel line will probably be OK as long as the fuel filter doesn’t add much to the total pressure drop. If the pump will put out more than 8 PSI when deadheaded you will need a regulator if running a carb. Now you'll have to choose from a regulator that uses a return line or one that doesn't.

Post Thanks / Like
    OK, thanks. Food for thought.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is really easy to run fuel line.Very flexible and never rusts.
    https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...m=3%2F8+nicopp
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.