Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  3

Thread: 33 wipers

Post Thanks / Like

33 wipers

While I'm in early stages without any heater etc I thought I'd ask about wipers.

I've looked around and seen build threads using SPW, seen Dr Ruth's package, talk of marine solutions and Mighty Wipers. Anything else out there?

http://www.clubcobra.com/forums/texa...red-texas.html
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...for-33-Hot-Rod
    http://thefactoryfiveforum.com/showt...-shield-Wipers
    http://www.ffcars.com/forums/120-fac...ld-wipers.html
    http://www.ffcars.com/forums/21-ffr-...ld-wipers.html

I don't have body yet, so am I right in assuming that I cannot do anything for planning/installing the wiper motor without the body? Ideally I'd like to plan it out early while the under dash is bare.

I'd like to discuss the legal need for wipers (I'm in Texas) too - I've read enough posts to say they are needed here for inspection, but with the hard-top I can't use a clip-on temporary wiper like the roadster guys do. I'd probably just use rain-x as an emergency stop-gap if it were up to me - driving fenderless in torrential rain can't be practical regardless of wipers.

But if I need them anyway for inspection, I may as well bite the bullet.
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    You will need wipers to pass inspection, I used Ruth's system, his kit is quite easy to install. I would do it as soon as the top has been positioned correctly as everything is based on distance from the windshield. The mounting for the top is also related as to how you mount the wiper motor. I waited on wipers until after paint, it was dicey but with lots of painters tape I got them installed and working. I had to make a mount due to waiting so long in order to allow my top mounting bolt positions to remain where they were placed originally. It would be better to coordinate the two.

Post Thanks / Like
    So what about the idea of getting is inspected as a roadster using the clip on wiper and then ditching it after you get your title and put on your hard top.

Tim
    Tim Sapp
    Build Blog: http://hotrod.sapp-family.com/blog/

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    ok, thanks. I'll look at his system and see where I need to "reserve some room"
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TDSapp View Post
    So what about the idea of getting is inspected as a roadster using the clip on wiper and then ditching it after you get your title and put on your hard top.
    Tim
    Yes, I guess.. except that means I have to buy a roadster windshield and then sell it after. Still, not a terrible idea.
    James

Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I would let you use mine but I have not gotten stage 2 yet so I don't have a windshield.

Tim
    Tim Sapp

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Post Thanks / Like
    I bought a single wiper motor from Speedway, drilled a hole in the body, made 2 angled steel spacers to get the correct angle and made a switch to turn on and off.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedw...-Kit,2999.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gumbya55 View Post
    I bought a single wiper motor from Speedway, drilled a hole in the body, made 2 angled steel spacers to get the correct angle and made a switch to turn on and off.

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedw...-Kit,2999.html

Gumbya,

I like the looks and the price for that one. Do you have a photo of it on your car?

Tim
    Tim Sapp

33 Hot Rod
    Delivered 5/31/2017

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    I like that route gumby. Have you used it with the hardtop only or both hard top and roadster winds shield?
    '33 Hot Rod
    Ordered: 3/25/17. Delivered: 5/6/17. 1st start: 8/24/18

MK4 Roadster
    Ordered: 7/10/13. Delivered: 8/20/13. Completed: 10/26/15.
    I did everything except spray it. She ain't perfect, but she's mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's a clean looking set up, Thanks Gumby

Post Thanks / Like
    Has anybody installed something like a simple single Mighty Wiper in the roof of a hardtop 33? I have the Specialty Power Window kit, but with all of my InfinityBox Modules in the cowl along with the A/C I have used up all of the real estate.

I just want a retro looking nice set up - simple!
    Nick Sebastian - 33 Hot Rod #495
    Factory Five Forums - hdnik
    FFCars - lowntubd

Build Site/Blog - www.nicks33hotrod.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hdnik View Post
    Has anybody installed something like a simple single Mighty Wiper in the roof of a hardtop 33? I have the Specialty Power Window kit, but with all of my InfinityBox Modules in the cowl along with the A/C I have used up all of the real estate.

I just want a retro looking nice set up - simple!
    That’s actually what I plan on doing. I’ll have a plug, or jamb contacts, for removal and install if the hard top and the wiper will stay in it mounted above the windshield.
    '33 Hot Rod
    Ordered: 3/25/17. Delivered: 5/6/17. 1st start: 8/24/18

MK4 Roadster
    Ordered: 7/10/13. Delivered: 8/20/13. Completed: 10/26/15.
    I did everything except spray it. She ain't perfect, but she's mine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Dredging up this old thread since I now have stage 2 body and can finally plan the wiper(s) - purely for inspection purposes, but has to work with hardtop since I don't have roadster glass.

It seems to come down to mighty wiper or speedway universal, installed in the roof?

Then, I can always remove and fill the hole with a rubber plug if I want to?
    James

Post Thanks / Like
    I've seen pictures of a 33 with 2 wipers just above the glass but removed with 2 chrome caps over the studs after removing just the arms.

Post Thanks / Like
    What about Dan Ruth's Innovative Rodding solution? (seems to be based on Specialty Power Window universal solution from what I can gather)

Steve
    Gen 1 '33 Hot Rod #1104
    347 with Holley Sniper & Hyperspark, TKO600, IRS, 245/40R18 & 315/30R18, DRL, Digital Guard Dog keyless Ignition

"The High Country", beautiful Flagstaff, AZ
    Post Thanks / Like
    AA.jpg
    I needed to have a single wiper to pass the AZ MVD inspection but didn't plan to run a wiper after the car was licensed. I purchased the cheapest single wiper with integral switch that Speedway had. I drilled a hole through the windshield and mounting flange as when I removed the wiper I didn't what a hole in my roof to plug. Look at the attached photo -- can you find the wiper mounting hole? I plugged the hole with a SS button head and if I ever need to reinstall it that's a five minute job.
    Dart Little M 406" SBC 800 HP N/A & 1,100 HP on nitrous, 2-spd Powerglide with trans brake, 6,000 RPM stall converter, narrowed Moser 88 3.90:1 spool with 35-spline gun-drilled axles & Torino bearings, custom parallel four-link, custom tube chassis & roll cage NHRA certified for 8.5-sec (only two FFR Hot Rods have this cert).

33 Hot Rod Super Pro Drag Racer Build: 33 HR NHRA Cert Roll Cage Build

18. Thanks RoadRacer thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FF33rod View Post
    What about Dan Ruth's Innovative Rodding solution? (seems to be based on Specialty Power Window universal solution from what I can gather)

Steve
    If I was keeping it, maybe, but at the $500-$600 I've seen referenced it would have to make me cups of tea as well

Quote Originally Posted by NAZ View Post
    AA.jpg
    I purchased the cheapest single wiper with integral switch that Speedway had. I drilled a hole through the windshield and mounting flange as when I removed the wiper I didn't what a hole in my roof to plug. Look at the attached photo -- can you find the wiper mounting hole? I plugged the hole with a SS button head and if I ever need to reinstall it that's a five minute job.
    Yeah, my thinking as well NAZ. My roof will be permanently bonded so if it's not too obtrusive I could leave it and just remove wiper. So I'll probably just compare those two and see which is smaller/cheaper.
    James

Post Thanks / Like
    NAZ, Don't see a thing. Love the color! That's what I decided on too. I've made decisions on most things for my build but now I just have to order it.

21. Likes NAZ liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have the Speedway Universal. I’ll be drilling a 3/8” hole thru the windshield like NAZ did.
    I’ll need to shorten the arm and the wiper blade to make it work.
    AJT has 2 wipers mounted thru the roof.
    '33 Hotrod, #1047 Gen 1, delivered on 2/27/18, go cart on 9/24/18.
    LS3 w/Gearstar Level 3 4L65e Tranny, Yank converter, Lokar shifter, Electric PS, Vintage AC/Heat/Def, 8.8" 3.55
    TorqThrust II Wheels w/Toyo Proxy T1 Sport Tires, F 235/45ZR17 R 295/35ZR18
    Garage Built, Driveway Painted.

23. Thanks RoadRacer thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, I've just ordered the same NAZ/Jim, thanks.
    James

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    I Texas I believe there has to be a permanently mounted wiper. I wanted to do a clip-on style to pass inspection (mine will be roadster only) but what I've heard is that won't pass.
    -- Mike -- TxMike64 -- @TxMGarage
    Gen1.5 Hot Rod '33 #1094 (Stage 1) - 302/AOD '15 IRS - Quad Built - Build Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TxMike64 View Post
    I Texas I believe there has to be a permanently mounted wiper. I wanted to do a clip-on style to pass inspection (mine will be roadster only) but what I've heard is that won't pass.
    Yes, me too. Mine will be "permanently mounted".. but also very easy to remove
    James

Post Thanks / Like
    I needed two to pass inspection, in the end I will be modifying the wipers to allow the to sit parallel to the top of the windshield and leave them there.
    20200728_Lucie-06.jpg
    Black & Copper #1028 ("The Mistress" according to my wife! )
    Brought home: Nov. 2017, GoKart: May 2018, will be Plated & on the Road April 2020
    Andreas

28. Likes RoadRacer, shmelty liked this post