FormaCars

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: recommended heater/defrost?

Post Thanks / Like

recommended heater/defrost?

While my chassis is empty under the dash, I'd like to throw in a simple heater system. No plans for AC this time around. In the past (in UK) I'd found a really simple little box but it was so long ago I'm sure there are better out there now.

Recommendations?
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Super Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had also thought about installing a heater but went with heated seats instead. My wife loves them and if she gets really chilly, I installed a 12-volt power outlet and we carry a 12-volt electric blanket that she can wrap in. Haven't missed the heater (and it's accompanying plumbing etc.) We built our car in California's central valley where we see winter temps of 23 and summer highs of 114 (we didn't drive unless it was between 40 and 90.)

Ray
    I'm not getting gray, I'm adding chrome....

“Under-steer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car and over-steer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you.”
    -- Jacques Schnauzee "World Famous Racecar Driver"

"If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower."--Mark Donohue

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    So I'm not the only crazy in Texas considering building without AC! I figure how effective can an AC system be with no top, but I could see using a heater.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray View Post
    I had also thought about installing a heater but went with heated seats instead.
    Thanks Ray. I hear you about the warm a$$.. but I prefer heater because of the defrost option.

Quote Originally Posted by TxMike64 View Post
    So I'm not the only crazy in Texas considering building without AC!
    For me it's a budget question - money can be spent better elsewhere for first year on the road.

My favorite so far is Vintage Air Gen-II Heaters 506101 https://www.summitracing.com/parts/vta-506101/overview/ which has defroster kit included, heater valve, control module etc.
    James

FFR33 #997 (Gen1 chassis, Gen2 body), license plate DRIVE IT says it all! build thread
    My build: 350SBC, TKO600, hardtop, no fenders/hood, 32 grill, 3 link, sway bars, 355/30r19
    Previous cars: GTD40, Cobra, tubeframe 55 Chevy, 66 Nova, 56 F100

Post Thanks / Like
    All, will this fit a 33 hot rod? Unfortunately in Quebec, Canada where I am (and you think it gets cold where you are!) to get the car certified I need a windshield defroster so having both seems to be the way to go. Any comments on the heater FFR offers for the 33? Does anyone have any pictures of a defrost system that they can share?? THX!!!