Very Cool Parts

Visit our community sponsor

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Ford Mini Starter?

Post Thanks / Like

Ford Mini Starter?

I am sure this has been answered many times, but can't seem to find the answer in my search..on the attached pic, my starter has a small wire coming off the smaller lug...
    1. Does the light blue wire from RF (SW to STR sol) connect to this wire?
    2. Do I need to install a new fusible link or fuse between the starter and the alternator? Or has this been done internally in the RF fuse block?

As always, appreciate any help!

IMG_3478 (1).JPG
    Last edited by Jacob; 07-06-2017 at 02:05 PM.
    MK IV complete Kit - 1st time builder started Sept 2016
    Levy 306
    T5
    2015 Mustang IRS
    Power steering - Levy setup, Breeze roll bars, Thompson trunk box
    fuel injection, powder coating, sway bars, heater, wipers, 17 in wheels

Post Thanks / Like
    1. There is a large lug on the starter, and then a smaller one. The large lug should have your direct battery connection, and it looks like you also attached the RF Red-Battery Feed, Red-Alternator Feed, and Red-Ign SW-Sol wires? Hard to tell from the pretty small pic. That works, although they really don't reach down there very well. The smaller lug on the starter is for the blue SW-> Start Sol as you said. Normally it's just attached directly to the smaller lug. I haven't seen a starter with a lead already attached like that one. If you follow the directions and crimp to that lead and shrink the sleeving, that's OK. But I honestly don't know why it's necessary. Maybe someone else does.

2. There is no fusible link or fuse for the alternator in the RF harness or fuse block. Many, myself included, add a megafuse between the battery and alternator of the same rating as the alternator, e.g. 100 amps, 135 amps, whatever. Good practice to prevent battery damage should the alternator fail in a way that would harm the battery. But many don't and the risk is probably very low.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    There is a large lug on the starter, and then a smaller one. The large lug should have your direct battery connection, and it looks like you also attached the RF Red-Battery Feed, Red-Alternator Feed, and Red-Ign SW-Sol wires? Hard to tell from the pretty small pic. That works, although they really don't reach down there very well.
    You may not remember but since I placed my fusepanel in a console over the transmission tunnel...that's probably why they fit well. I'm considering using a firewall mounted electrical gang pole that would make a neater way to get these various wires to the starter. Do you agree?

Also, on the fusible link / fuse ... I would place it between the alternator and the dash, like on the firewall...Agree? Appreciate!!!
    Levy 306
    T5
    2015 Mustang IRS

Post Thanks / Like
    Hard to respond since you're moving stuff around. Pretty common to use a power stud to gather the power wires vs. a firewall solenoid as shown in the FF instructions or taking the wires all the way to the starter. If you choose to put something between the alternator and battery, put it where it makes the most sense and is also accessible since it's a potential maintenance item.
    Build 1: Mk3 Roadster #5125. Sold 11/08/2014. Build 2: Mk4 Roadster #7750. Sold 04/10/2017. Build Thread
    Build 3: Mk4 Roadster 20th Anniversary #8674. Sold 09/07/2020. Build Thread and Video. Build 4: Gen 3 Type 65 Coupe #59. Gen 3 Coyote. Legal 03/04/2020. Build Thread and Video
    Build 5: 35 Hot Rod Truck #138. LS3 and 4L65E auto. Rcvd 01/05/2021. Legal 04/20/2023. Build Thread. Sold 11/9/2023.

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree. I like minimum wires on the starter. The stud is too short, it is very difficult to get to, and too many wires end up looking like petals on a flower. If your battery is up front, I like the battery cable on the starter and one other heavy gauge (6-8ga?) cable going to a distribution block like you are thinking of. If your battery is in the back and the cable coming up through the tunnel, you can run that to your block and then a short battery cable w/ eyes on both ends to the starter. All the other wires such as alt, fuse box feed, etc go to the dist. block.
    FFR MkII, 408W, Tremec TKO 500, 2015 IRS, DA QA1s, Forte front bar, APE hardtop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Distribution block is the plan, with one piece of leftover battery cable going from the block to the starter...interesting how I now approach modification...with Amazon / no shipping charge...no reason to plan too far in advance. Today decide you need a distribution block and tomorrow its here! Appreciate everyone's input.
    Levy 306
    T5
    2015 Mustang IRS